Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SO! I had my first drs appointment yesterday and I was all GUNG HO to go with the sleeve UNTIL the nurse suggested the bypass due to my BMI...HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM now I don't know what I want to do. They both seem good but I am so totally confused right now..........HELP!!

By pass is more complicated with more complication after the fact, sleeve to them may take extra dedication toward any guarentee in losing that large number compared though. I'd not go for a Bypass personally, my BMI was high 40's a year ago, I dieted away some of that and the figure dipped even more significantly since surgery. I recently fell under a class 3 which starts at 40, by a tiny percent for now.

This choice (VSG) is still newest to them and for us and I'm lucky to have had it. Try and bring down your BMI, diet while keeping track of it and show them the result each time with any loss, if you'd lower it enough points that may help change their mind some if you must delay the process to show that to them you can put that on the table if they don't.

Remember it is your decision ultimatley.

I have a friend who had gastric bypass 6 months ago. She still throws up at least once a day. My sister in law had gastric bypass 2 years ago and in the last 2 months has gained back 30 lbs. she claims to be eating exactly the same as always.

My husband and I chose the sleeve. My BMI is very high. However, after all my research, it was the only WLS my husband and I were willing to do. We are 23 days post op and my husband has list 45lbs and I've lost 40lbs.

Neither of us have thrown up or slimed or had any negative reactions. We feel good, have more energy and aren't hungry!

Good luck however you decide. I just wanted to let you know about my experience.

WOW!! Thanks for the input...I have some REAL thinking to do!

My moms BFF had bypass in 2002. She went from 380ish to 155ish (she is 5'9). 5 years out she actually had a band put in to help with restriction- her pouch stretched and she wound up gaining some, but it has put her in check. I had a BMI of 50 at surgery. I went into this knowing it was the first stage of the DS. Now- 2 1/2 months out and 53lbs down- I couldn't imagine going back. I have had zero problems. I follow the rules 90% of the time. I get my Protein and I am thrilled with my decision. My sister's dr is trying to get her to move from the band to the sleeve. She is on band number 2- and is having lots of complications. Good luck with whatever you choose. And FTR- my dr wanted me to consider the rny as well for diabetes (everyone in my family has it), but I went with the sleeve based on all of my research.

My gallbladder surgeon seemed surprised that I chose the sleeve over the bypass when I told him that i had the sleeve. I had a starting bmi of 65.1

Normally they try to talk patients into a bypass with high bmi.

I am 5 months out and down 118 pounds. I am self pay so there is NO WAY I am paying to convert this, maybe thats why I am so disciplined ;)

Its a personal decision. Research and decide whats best for you. Good Luck!!

Thanks you guys! This is really giving me something to think about.

I also chose the sleeve due to the fact it was the first step in the DS procedure. I always knew if I didn't lose the weight with the sleeve alone I could have the second part of the "switch" to rely on. I have never been fond of the Gastric Bypass and to be honest I know more people that have regained the weight with it than have been able to keep it off. It is a personal decision but don't let any Dr or Surgeon tell you that you can't/won't be able to get to goal with the sleeve alone- because that is simply not true!

Thank you Losingifforgood!!! I was feeling trapped for a minute but I think I've made my decision!