Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Free Lap Band

I love this idea and have thought long term about this...once I get through and my life is changed...giving someone else this gift....so all these have been wonderful insights. I would of course talk to my attorney prior.

However, one suggestion I would like to make that I saw on this posting...is I concur with Barbara I think it was. Gift 1/2 make them pay the other 1/2 so you can see their commitment to the process as well.

Whatever you do, you'll be blessed by such generosity.

BTW, amom, my condolences. I can only imagine all the "me, me!!" messages flooding your PM box. You're going to be a busy lady. :heh::heh:

I think it is so great to know that you would do such a kind thing. There are so many people everyday searching for ways to fund a surgery that will save thier lives. A great idea would be to contact a Dr and ask his advice on a particular case that he feels that needs it but cant afford it. If you just ask the public i am sure everyone would feel they were that "needy someone".

I have many health problems and have wanted the surgery but even in my situation i would want someone more needy than me to benefit.

blessings are upon you for your generosity!!

OK here it is. My hubby and I just found out that our new insurance will pay 100% for lap band surgery. So my hubby suggested to take the money we were going to spend and pay for a needy person to have the surgery.

My problem is how do we know if the person is truly needy. Is there any medical group that does lap bands that we could make a donation too? How do we know for sure the money is being used for the lap band and not the centers lunch break. I would like to take names and talk with all the people that think they really need this gift and ask all the whys whens and hows. Are we out of our minds to think about doing this? Yes we do know some people that could use the surgery but most could do it on their own without our help and others could if they just put their minds to it. I hope I don't offend anyone but what we mean is someone who may not have the money due to reasons beyond their control but have the control to follow orders, have the disciple it takes to achieve their goal etc. Input would be appreciated. Amom & Adad

One more view from an attorney -- yes, there are always the potential liabilities, but they can be managed. There are all sorts of legal concepts at play -- assumption of the risk, and if you would certainly want to execute a legal release. In most states, there shouldn't be a problem. I don't know where you live, but if you want to PM me, I could give you some more specific information.

I think you and her husband are angels! Go for it!

A few of my overweight friends I told that I was having surgery, and they told me things like how lucky i was to get a loan and how they'd tried everything to come up with the money but couldnt' get approved anywhere etc etc. I would have LOVED if I couldve turned around and been like, "You know what? You deserve this too- let me cover it." Unfortunately since I'm going to be paying $500 a month for over 2 years I don't have that ability to be so generous. But what I'm saying is that I'd give it to someone I knew already who had been struggling with their weight and was close to- so you didnt' have to worry about anyone trying to deceive you.

Or I'd offer to cover a couple of people's surgeon cost so they just have to come up with hospital fees and what not. Then you could help more than one person....

Just a thought!

All I have to say is thank you from those of us that are not able to be financed for one reason or another. Please let me know what the requirements are as soon as things are worked out. Thank you very much for all your generous help you are willing to give to someone who needs it. There are people on other sites as well as this one that are trying to find help to pay for thier surgeries. Not even wanting someone to pay for it for them just trying to find someone to finanace it even.

please foward me any information you find on financing for the lapband surgery. i believe i fall into the "good candidate" section. it puzzles me that insurance companies will pay for my asthma, diabeties, thyroid and heart condition but throw up a red flag for lapband as not a covered procedure. PACIFICARE PPO and BESTLIFE are horrible....congrats to anyone who has a good insurance that understands patient needs and has paid for thier surgeries. im not giving up ....i will keep looking!

Anyone who is interested may apply by writing a essay. Tell us a little about yourself, family, your situation, etc. Our lawyer would like us to make a loan instead of a gift, we have taken this under advise. We haven't decided yet which it will be. I think it will depend on the person or persons situation. Essay Deadline will be Dec 15 06.