Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Having trouble eating...

Ok, I was sleeved on 12/28/12. My surgeons plan post op is one week Clear liquids and then two weeks of full liquids, then two weeks of soft Proteins, and then to the "new normal". I started the soft Proteins on 1/18. The first day wasn't too bad. The second and third day I had a hard time. I know saturday was my fault, we went to Sams and i had a sample of smoked sausage. the lady didn't bother telling us it had jalapeños in it. I thought I was going to die!!! Sooo painful! All I seem to be able to handle so far is eggs. I can't seem to find the happy medium between eating the right amount and feeling like I am about to rip my sleeve! I ate 1/4 of a cup of ham salad and couldn't finish it and later, my stomach hurt like I had eaten at a buffet.

My other issue is Water. I keep getting dehydrated. I work strange hours and for about 4 hrs of the day I can't drink at all. I am having trouble with the nothing to drink during or after meals and then remembering the rest of the day! What is wrong with me? This is not that difficult! And don't even get me started on my vitamins! I can't remember those things for anything!

I am really starting to regret my decision. I can't imagine living the rest of my life like this. I did this to get my life back, to have energy, and to feel better about myself. I can't do anything right now without feeling so tired that I need a nap. I work 10am - 2pm then 6pm - 10pm. When I come home between classes, I can't keep my eyes open and have to take a nap. I am really not happy. I need some advice.

I don't have much advise, other than it gets better. I remember crying one day thinking that I could not live the rest of my life not being able to eat.

Today, I don't feel anywhere near that I had surgery on 9/10). For example, yesterday I went to a local place for brunch. I ordered eggs benedict and was able to eat maybe half of it - I had a piece of chicken breast for dinner. I will repeat, it really will get better.

The best part of this surgery for me is that I am not hungry and I don't have that consant urge to eat. While sometimes I want to eat because I am bored/upset/nervous/happy (you get it, I am an emotional eater!) - I have this tool to help me.

Good luck - and congratulations on your progress so far.

I was sleeved on 12/27, and I am eating pretty much anything except meat. I get most of my Protein and Water in, but the eating is aggrivating. I feel sick a lot, and Imy stomach hurts after I eat

I forgot to add - that I too have trouble with the Fluid intake. Some days it works out perfectly and some days not. I try not to obsess. I am a nurse and very busy so it is a struggle to remember to drink constantly. In the beginning I would measure out my 64 oz every morning and set timers throughout the day to remind myself to drink. Now, it is a habit and usually get my fluids in.

I konw it is hard with school and a split shift of work but do your best and just try to improve everyday.

Don't be to hard on yourself, like the others have said it gets easier, remember your old habits took a life time to make and your new habits are just starting to form. By the way this is that difficult, it takes a lot of effort to keep on track until the habits form. Good Luck.

Please please try to remember your Vitamins. I have MS and battle memory issues. Since our and is already shocked from the drastic change in nutrients, we need the vitamins. My hair started coming out. Even though I was warned, PT was still devastating to see. Good luck.

Try yogurt or cottage cheese to start. I have felt better with softer food. I was sleeved on 12/26/12, so we are about the same timeline. I have found that if I feel too full, I walk to make myself feel better. I am just experimenting on which foods I can tolerate and I hove found the shrimp works good for my system.

Thank you for all the advise and support. I did better today. I went with a Protein shake for Breakfast, got in 32 oz of Water, a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese for lunch, and had tilapia for dinner. Later I was hungry again so I had most of a scrambled egg with some cheese. I am hurting some since the egg, I may try it again without the cheese to see if it helps. I also got in two Vitamins. I am going to make some Jello tomorrow and smash the Vitamins up in it. My dietician suggested it so its worth a shot. I hope everyone is doing well.

One more thing, what are some of your soft food menus like?

Rsmont, that's neat that we are so close on the surgery date. I would love to keep in touch to hear about your progress. Have you started exercising yet?

I am 5 weeks post op and totally understand. I have had a hard time with gastric reflux. Initially reflux would happen after every morsel of food, and even when I didn't eat. It is worse at night when it comes up and chokes me and sometimes even gets in my sinuses. I am on anti-reflux meds twice a day and have been put back on liquids for 2 more weeks. I need to know if anyone else has had reflux this bad and if it will ever go away and what to do about it. I too feel like I can't eat either.

Unfortunately I did not have a lot of variety of soft foods, my only options were yogurt, cottage cheese, soft eggs, tofu. I only like cottage cheese and eggs.

I haven't had my sleeve yet, sometime middle of March or 1st of April, but I have been trying the Vitamins the want me to have and they are kind of large. I read someones article to put them in applesauce, tried that and it works well, I also use a pill organizer to help me remember to take all the meds I take, that might help. Just a thought and good luck. Everyone is such a help getting me ready for this.