Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Having trouble eating...

Bradsgirl - I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I haven't been sleeved yet, but my friend was about a month ago and she told me it's very common to say "what the he11 have I done to myself?" for the first couple of months until you are able to eat a more varied diet - and the fatigue should get better then, too. I wish you the best of luck and my thoughts are with you.

Please please try to remember your Vitamins. I have MS and battle memory issues. Since our and is already shocked from the drastic change in nutrients, we need the Vitamins. My hair started coming out. Even though I was warned, PT was still devastating to see. Good luck.

What is PT?

Ok' date=' I was sleeved on 12/28/12. My surgeons plan post op is one week Clear Liquids and then two weeks of full liquids, then two weeks of soft Proteins, and then to the "new normal". I started the soft Proteins on 1/18. The first day wasn't too bad. The second and third day I had a hard time. I know saturday was my fault, we went to Sams and i had a sample of smoked sausage. the lady didn't bother telling us it had jalapeños in it. I thought I was going to die!!! Sooo painful! All I seem to be able to handle so far is eggs. I can't seem to find the happy medium between eating the right amount and feeling like I am about to rip my sleeve! I ate 1/4 of a cup of ham salad and couldn't finish it and later, my stomach hurt like I had eaten at a buffet.

My other issue is Water. I keep getting dehydrated. I work strange hours and for about 4 hrs of the day I can't drink at all. I am having trouble with the nothing to drink during or after meals and then remembering the rest of the day! What is wrong with me? This is not that difficult! And don't even get me started on my vitamins! I can't remember those things for anything!

I am really starting to regret my decision. I can't imagine living the rest of my life like this. I did this to get my life back, to have energy, and to feel better about myself. I can't do anything right now without feeling so tired that I need a nap. I work 10am - 2pm then 6pm - 10pm. When I come home between classes, I can't keep my eyes open and have to take a nap. I am really not happy. I need some advice.[/quote']

Hi....I am in similar position as you. I wont go into my details except to tell you well warn you I just got out of hospital for 6 days. I wasnt eating and for sure was not drinking and I was sick sick. Very dehydrated...potassium extremely low and had become hypoglycemic. I now am drinking about 22 oz of Water still not enough but more than I was. Be careful and just keep sipping!!

Hi....I am in similar position as you. I wont go into my details except to tell you well warn you I just got out of hospital for 6 days. I wasnt eating and for sure was not drinking and I was sick sick. Very dehydrated...potassium extremely low and had become hypoglycemic. I now am drinking about 22 oz of Water still not enough but more than I was. Be careful and just keep sipping!!

Sorry to hear about your hospital stay. I hope you are feeling better now.

I am doing better now. I am up to about 32 oz of Water, 2-3 Vitamins (3 is the goal), and still working on the food.

I've noticed that over medium eggs, refried Beans, and cottage are fairly painless. It's really the meats that are causing the discomfort. It's a tight feeling not a burn. But I have also gone back to at least two Protein shakes a day. It's the premium Protein from Sam's.

One other thing I have noticed is that I am able to drink more at a time than before. That's good, now if I can just remember to drink it!

I am 5 weeks post op and totally understand. I have had a hard time with gastric reflux. Initially reflux would happen after every morsel of food' date=' and even when I didn't eat. It is worse at night when it comes up and chokes me and sometimes even gets in my sinuses. I am on anti-reflux meds twice a day and have been put back on liquids for 2 more weeks. I need to know if anyone else has had reflux this bad and if it will ever go away and what to do about it. I too feel like I can't eat either.[/quote']

I am 10 wks out and have been having problem for a while and it appear to b getting worse the only thing helps for the moment is zantac300mg it has me so upset. I cnt hardly eat. I hope for this to pass over soon.

Have you tried oatmeal and cream of wheat thin use a little extra liquid. Also I add Protein Powder to mine since they do not have a lot of Protein. i am still figuring out pureed to soft diet. I have not moved to eggs or anything yet. I was sleeved on Jan 10th. Don't forget applesauce with protein powder added. Hope this helps.

Soft Proteins can also be considered pureed. Try soft fishes, tuna, refried Beans, chili, cream Soups, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, soft cheeses, canned meats(chicken, ham). I would suggest staying away from chicken now as it is really a normal food, unless you puree it with some broth or a liquid.

I am 5 weeks post op and totally understand. I have had a hard time with gastric reflux. Initially reflux would happen after every morsel of food' date=' and even when I didn't eat. It is worse at night when it comes up and chokes me and sometimes even gets in my sinuses. I am on anti-reflux meds twice a day and have been put back on liquids for 2 more weeks. I need to know if anyone else has had reflux this bad and if it will ever go away and what to do about it. I too feel like I can't eat either.[/quote']

I have began Prilosec x 2 a day and at lunch using 1-Zantac and for the last 2 days I have had NO acid reflux as it is horrible and I am 3 wks. post-op...Take Care

I was sleeved on 01/19 and am having the same issues as you! I NEVER feel hungry. I could go all day everyday and never consume a thing.

I am having a terrible time getting my fluids down and eat very little everyday! I do get my Vitamins down. That's a must!!

I feel like I never know what to eat or what I can try! I get so many different opinions. I do not have a NUT. I had my surgery in Mexico.

I also feel desperate and have moments of regret! I am taking it minute by minute! Not even to day by day yet!

I was sleeved on 01/19 and am having the same issues as you! I NEVER feel hungry. I could go all day everyday and never consume a thing.

I am having a terrible time getting my fluids down and eat very little everyday! I do get my Vitamins down. That's a must!!

I feel like I never know what to eat or what I can try! I get so many different opinions. I do not have a NUT. I had my surgery in Mexico.

I also feel desperate and have moments of regret! I am taking it minute by minute! Not even to day by day yet!

You can message me on my fitness pal and I can tell you what my nutritionist tells me my I'd is rsmont77

Hi Vickyl and everyone else!

I'm a new sleeve-er too (29th Jan - 3 weeks in) and am having a lot of the problems you mention; can hardly eat a thing, managing a few teaspoons every few days, can't get enough liquid in, freezing cold, very weak, throwing up a LOT and having low points thinking "what the hell have I done?". I left hospital with the liquid diet for weeks 1&2, but not been able to come close to it.

BUT.... Those few teaspoons are going from once a week to a few times a week and so I'm hoping soon that it'll be every day... I am taking two steps forward and one step back, but even if I eat 15 teaspoons of liquid food or soft puree next week, it's 5 more than this week.

Although the hospital told me not to use a straw, I read here that some find it helps so I'm giving it a go and have just managed 150 ml in about an hour - normally it takes me about three hours!

I did get worried and spoke to my dietician and surgeon. The both seem fairly unconcerned as I am generally heading in the right direction, albeit painfully slowly. The advice was to not be so hard on myself, and that this is fairly normal for 4-6 weeks!

I am terrified of my hair falling out though!