Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

don't let anyone fool you. recovery is awful.

I woke up in recovery in some of the worst pain of my life. They seemed suprised by it. It took them 20-30 minutes (I'm guessing) to get it under control. I had a late day surgery so this was around 7pm. Once in my room I had a pain button I could hit every 10 minutes if needed. I used it quite a bit and mostly slept. I had no drain and no catheter. By 5am, with my pain meds I was walking the halls. By noon I was feeling like I wanted to go home. I was off the pain pump by 3pm and had walked enough circuits in the halls to constitute a full mile. I got 2 "meals" in (1 oz Protein broth, 1oz cranberry juice, 1 oz protein jello). I was discharged 23 hours after surgery and had a lot of soreness but the real pain was gone. I needed no assistance after that and was able to climb stairs to bed that night. Rolling over in bed was painful for a few nights and I had liquid percocet that I took for about 3-4 days. This shows that recovery experiences vary greatly.

I had pain, but not horrible pain. The worst for me was the nausea and dry-heaving. I guess I wasn't prepared for it. It lasted two days only. I realize now that the nausea seems normal for this surgery, and I don't think it's from the anesthesia (sp?). I've had lots of surgery and never had nausea. I'm sorry that some people had bad experiences. Hopefully it's like childbirth and we soon forget the pain. :)

For me, recovery was easy. I attribute this to positive attitude, surgeon skill and the fact that I also walked and sipped non-stop. One more thing: I do not like pain medication. I took one dose of morphine right out of the recovery room and it made me feel AWFUL! I had no pain meds after that point. The nurse the next day notice that I had not used anything and injected an analgesic. "Whatever," said I. They sent me home with Vicoden and there it sits.

For the first two weeks I was on Clear liquids and drank that fruit flavored Isopure stuff. I got my fluids and 80 grams of Protein a day. I'm convinced that this also helped.

On the day of my two week checkup, I asked if I could go horseback riding that afternoon. He said yes and so I did.

The point is: Your mileage will vary. There are a lot of factors, but some of it is up to you. Compared to the two open abdominal surgeries I've had, this was a breeze. Come to think of it, those weren't so bad either. I've had skilled surgeons to be sure, but recovery is what you make of it.

Of course my comments are based on recoveries without complications. They are rare, but do happen. Happily those heal too and most of those folks end up loving their sleeve and new lease on life.

While we are all assuming that the rather enormous differences in early recovery are attributable solely to individual differences between patients, I am now thinking that, perhaps, these differences can be attributable to physician skill and his/her surgical protocol.

Obviously, there are individual differences between patients in regard to pain threshold and particular sensitivity to discomfort. However, there are also tremendous differences between physicians in their levels of skill and expertise. Just because, for example, an appendectomy is now considered routine surgery does not mean that every general surgeon enjoys the same post-operative results, on the average (that is, controlling for individual differences between patients).

Please be advised that not all laparoscopic surgeons are created equally. In this case, consulting with other patients who had the procedure from the same doctor you are considering is a very good idea.

ABSOLUTELY!?! I most certainly agree! I'm also beginning to think that American drs over medicate, over inflate gases, over anesthetize and over charge. Personally, I would never in my life take Morphine, Demerol and even Vicodin for laparoscopic surgery. Don't get me wrong, I love Morphine, but that was only when I was in a MVA and fractured my sternum and femur and required over 200 staples to put my humpty dumpty body together. (Sheesh.. Talk about a reason some don't have a BM for a week or two.. Get of meds and get things flowing again.)

Anyway, pardon me for getting off subject and replying to a response instead. That said..jujubeesmamas.. I'm sorry you're going through this pain and wish you weren't.

I must mention that instead of saying, don't let them fool you this surgery is very painful.. Perhaps, you should reword it and say, this surgery CAN BE very painful for some. I didn't have any pain what so ever with any of my 6 laparoscopic WLS procedures. Like Mason and others have said it all depends on the drs and the patient.

Good luck and hang in the and YES.. Walk walk walk ASAP . I was up the same day as my surgery. The faster you start to walk off the anesthesia and gases the faster it will go away

I can't tolerate pain meds at all, so I felt completely awful. I had the dry heaves when I tried to drink, too. Between the dry heaves and all the IV liquids I manged to majorly piss myself TWICE! No idea how I got down that contrast liquid the next day, it was like being tortured. They gave me 3 different nausea meds along with the patch beforehand but nothing worked. Much better that I'm back at home with my sugar free popsicles.

My hospital is supplying a pain medicine pump that the patient can pump themselves when the pain hits. This thread had been so ok informative. I have been wondering about pain levels after surgery.

I feel awful for you and very sorry you're in miserable pain.

I am very grateful for my surgeons skilled hands. Especially since I had never met him. (Mexico) I received one dose of pain meds (I.v.) while in the hospital and declined the rest.

I am 5 days post op.

I hope you get some relief soon and others realize that everyone's recovery is different.

I have had surgery before with the PCA that's the pain button. It worked great. I am also a nurse so I see how they work for others. Also I know everyone has different levels of pain. I am a wussie. But my job is to get people through pain because I am a labor and delivery nurse. I hear women yelling all the time and at me. I am more worried about pain at home post op. while I will be off work I am a single mother of 3boys one my 14year old has autism. He can be a hand full sometimes. Luckily I have a tall 20 year old that can help me handle him.

I have had surgery before with the PCA that's the pain button. It worked great. I am also a nurse so I see how they work for others. Also I know everyone has different levels of pain. I am a wussie. But my job is to get people through pain because I am a labor and delivery nurse. I hear women yelling all the time and at me. I am more worried about pain at home post op. while I will be off work I am a single mother of 3boys one my 14year old has autism. He can be a hand full sometimes. Luckily I have a tall 20 year old that can help me handle him.

People that have had vsg at my hospital say how much the PCA helped them when they had pain.

I had a button for pain meds. Didn't touch it the whole time.

As for myself,I had excruciating pain for about 48 hours after surgery. I could barely walk but I did. My husband said that almost everyone who was in recovery with me were moaning and crying from the pain. I know what your going through, just hang in there it will get better. I guess some people can handle pain better than others.

I'm sorry the OP is having such a bad experience.

I agree with gmanbat's and Mason's posts, though.

I also tend to take more of a moderate or diplomatic approach to things, though, and would say that jumping on a message board and telling people that anyone that says recovery is simple is trying to fool you is a bit much.

That said, clearly the OP is in pain and not in the best frame of mind right now. Barring major complications, odds are good OP will post later without regrets.

I, too, am amazed at how many surgeons medicate heavily post op. I felt far worse after my laparoscopy done in 2008 for endometriosis (in the US) than I felt after having most of my stomach removed in Mexico. I do attribute part of that to the technique of the surgeon and also to the fact that I was doped up on Morphine and Vicodin in the states but given Supradol for inflammation and half an Ativan (to help me sleep) in Mexico. I bounced right back after my VSG and there was ONE single day where I was in enough discomfort to ask for a pain pill. I was off of them before five days post op, and just threw out the two boxes I bought in Mexico because they'd expired and never been needed!

I spent three days in bed (and walking when I was able) at home and had the most horrible gas pains in my shoulder for days after my '08 lap. I was in pain and used the entire script for the Vicodin and still felt run down when it ran out.

It's different for everyone.

I am truly sorry for the OP and I am grateful she chose to share a negative experience - all experiences are valuable. I just disagree with the idea that everyone will have the same reaction. It'd be similar to me posting, as a patient that felt minimal pain/discomfort and recovered easily, that anyone that says differently has a low pain threshold or is exaggerating the pain. That would be absolutely an unfair assessment to make.

Much like I can't say that childbirth is never painful simply because I had very easy deliveries with both of my pregnancies - I cannot speak for every individual experience and it could be perceived as insulting to some if I tried to do so.

Best to the OP - I hope you recover swiftly. Being in pain and unable to eat makes everyone irritable!

~Cheri

I never thought there was any use for my 60's hippy drug years other than testifying in church and on the street about how good God is for rescuing me. But apparently that time taught me how to handle drugs. The hospital drugs were like jumping in a taxi and riding through a tough neighborhood. Ride it out, folks, try to enjoy them....but not too much!