Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not everyone does the surgery must have happy story, stop crying about what she said, if u dont like it leave, such a nonsense.

Thank you for the update and clarification. I'm very' date=' very sorry to hear about the long road to recovery your sister is and will remain on for some time. I hope it gets easier for her, but I better understand where you were coming from. I truly believe that both positive and negative feedback about the sleeve is very, very important. There are real risks. Yes, they're rare, but when you or someone you love winds up in the 1%, statistics are not reassuring. Your final input was what really hits home. I self-paid but still did a huge amount of research before having my surgery. For years I went back and forth between nutritionists and physical trainers and spent a small fortune on pills, diets and weight loss programs. I'm not saying WLS was the only solution. But I will say that there are a huge number of people that wind up on VST already sleeved with ZERO idea what to expect, what to eat, not knowing the warning signs of a leak, etc. And many of these folks are covered by insurance! It's appalling - and it's very scary that on the one hand, some of us have to fight our insurance for simple things like our kids' allergy meds but other folks are getting handed a pass for surgery after less than six weeks of working up. I realize this isn't the norm, just as I realize that your sister's very real horror story isn't the norm. But having a very active thread out there (all the nonsense and name calling in the middle aside) and almost forcing newbies and researchers to stumble upon it is important. Too many people avoid any type of posts about the complications - or even about simple things like stalls and normal post operative discomfort. The very idea your sister had, that it wouldn't happen to her, is what many with complications have - in some cases I think education would really help adjust the expectations people have. So, all that to say thanks again for posting and sharing this story. I pray your sister can eventually recover and that you will continue to advocate on her behalf and support her while she's suffering. ~Cheri[/quote']

Well said Cheri!

I honestly have to laugh at the negativity some people brought to this thread. It amazes me that grown people who come from all walks of life and varying experiences are the first to jump on a post to either refute' date=' bully or just downright be rude and then hide behind "it is a free country and I can share my opinion". I was teased immensely for being fat and I would never post such things to make anyone else feel hurt. I think some of you have forgotten how words can hurt. I have lurked on these forums for a while and it always seems like it is the same few.[/quote']

I don't visit this site as often as I do because as you noted folks are just rude, nasty, or try to bully.

I joined a wonderful group on Facebook and get much better support and creative sharing. But must importantly we don't judge others for voicing their opinions, ideas or beliefs.

To all of the new people that are reading this thread!! DO NOT LET THIS SCARE YOU!! I can't believe this thread popped up again! I do not read this site often, but I was sleeved about 3 weeks before this thread was started. I remember reading it and getting the **** scared out of me. I seriously had a thermometer in my mouth every two hours afterwards. I am now over 10 months out and that time seems like a lifetime ago. I have lost an astounding 213 lbs since then and am only 7 lbs from goal. My life is now absolutely phenomenal since I started my journey on 11/23/2012. Imagine where you will be in a year from now, work hard and it will be so. I'm serious. If you are willing to change your life, it WILL happen!

It is a shame to see people arguing and causing controversy over a post that is eight months old.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Take it down

I have been diagnosed as morbidly obese and I have considered several options. Currently I have been able to lose 100 pounds in the last 5 years. It has been slow and hard as I have an addiction to food but I am determined to do it without surgery. I am even more determined today as I am praying for a friend who is currently in ICU 2 weeks after her VSG surgery. Initially she had swelling and was unable to take in any nourishment at all. She became dehydrated and went in and out of the hospital. Yesterday they decided that she had a "leak" but could not figure out where it was. She quickly became septic. They did emergency surgery yesterday and removed 2/3 of her small intestine and planned to do more surgery this morning. I received an email from her sister at 10:30 last night that her blood pressure was very low and they were afraid she was not getting enough blood to her organs or remaining bowel. Her kidneys shut down and she is currently on dialysis. She is being sedated and is on a ventilator. Surgery today has been scrapped as she is so unstable and her B/P is so low. They fear for her life. She had this surgery because she thought she could not lose weight on her own. She has been told all her life that fat is ugly, thin is in. If she lives through this her life will be totally altered (losing 2/3 of your intestines can cause all kinds of issues). Is it worth it? Definitely not for her. This radically changing the way your body was naturally made is not something to be taken lightly. It is not just a quick and easy way to lose weight because you don't want to have to work at anything and you want now, not later. Please consider this seriously if you are thinking about any kind of surgery that alters the way your body was meant to work. I'm sure that if my friend could go back to 2 weeks ago her decision would be to not have the surgery.

I have been diagnosed as morbidly obese and I have considered several options. Currently I have been able to lose 100 pounds in the last 5 years. It has been slow and hard as I have an addiction to food but I am determined to do it without surgery. I am even more determined today as I am praying for a friend who is currently in ICU 2 weeks after her VSG surgery. Initially she had swelling and was unable to take in any nourishment at all. She became dehydrated and went in and out of the hospital. Yesterday they decided that she had a "leak" but could not figure out where it was. She quickly became septic. They did emergency surgery yesterday and removed 2/3 of her small intestine and planned to do more surgery this morning. I received an email from her sister at 10:30 last night that her blood pressure was very low and they were afraid she was not getting enough blood to her organs or remaining bowel. Her kidneys shut down and she is currently on dialysis. She is being sedated and is on a ventilator. Surgery today has been scrapped as she is so unstable and her B/P is so low. They fear for her life. She had this surgery because she thought she could not lose weight on her own. She has been told all her life that fat is ugly, thin is in. If she lives through this her life will be totally altered (losing 2/3 of your intestines can cause all kinds of issues). Is it worth it? Definitely not for her. This radically changing the way your body was naturally made is not something to be taken lightly. It is not just a quick and easy way to lose weight because you don't want to have to work at anything and you want now, not later. Please consider this seriously if you are thinking about any kind of surgery that alters the way your body was meant to work. I'm sure that if my friend could go back to 2 weeks ago her decision would be to not have the surgery.

Every situation for every person is different. I hope your friend recovers and gets better. Good luck with your continued weight loss without surgery.

I was sleeved July 22,2013 and am very happy with the decision. I did years yes years of research before having the procedure. Part of that research included knowing about risks and what could possibly happen to me.

It is sad when things go wrong. Again I hope your friend recovers.

It's a gamble. If it doesn't work out well, you can die. If it works out well, then you live thin. The odds are that everything is fine but that is not always the case. For those that had sad stories with VSG, they are entitled to their own opinions. To those that had great outcomes, then good for them too.

You're absolutely right I have a relative at the moment still in the hospital working on I believe it's 8 months now I'm losing track it's been so long. He had several leaks lost half a lung because of the leaks, has a fistula as well. This is a second attempt to fix the fistula right now that he has stitches and another which is also leaking. They're speaking about a feeding tube at this point if it doesn't heal up. It has been a complete nightmare and it has inspired me to search and look around more into this procedure of all kinds. Since I have I have found more horror stories then I found good stories. And what's weird about that is if you look at the statistics and you look online you don't hear about those stories. How are they hiding those stories and why. The only reason I post here is the hopefully help somebody else from making bad choice. There is a chance it could go well but what I have learned from my researches it's a 50-50 chance total different thing than what you're told online are on videos when your research it. Nutrition is the biggest issue with a surgery is people are so weak they don't want to live. Beware that's the only reason I'm posting if you have a good surgery good for you do not respond to me and tell me you did because I really don't care. What I care about is the people that didn't have it go well and how their suffering deeply and their families are suffering deeply it is affected there life and more than one way financially independently and their happiness if not their life. I think they need to do more research on this surgery before they do any more because they're not able to fix the problems and many cases. This is a voice type so do the best you can

You're absolutely right I have a relative at the moment still in the hospital working on I believe it's 8 months now I'm losing track it's been so long. He had several leaks lost half a lung because of the leaks, has a fistula as well. This is a second attempt to fix the fistula right now that he has stitches and another which is also leaking. They're speaking about a feeding tube at this point if it doesn't heal up. It has been a complete nightmare and it has inspired me to search and look around more into this procedure of all kinds. Since I have I have found more horror stories then I found good stories. And what's weird about that is if you look at the statistics and you look online you don't hear about those stories. How are they hiding those stories and why. The only reason I post here is the hopefully help somebody else from making bad choice. There is a chance it could go well but what I have learned from my researches it's a 50-50 chance total different thing than what you're told online are on videos when your research it. Nutrition is the biggest issue with a surgery is people are so weak they don't want to live. Beware that's the only reason I'm posting if you have a good surgery good for you do not respond to me and tell me you did because I really don't care. What I care about is the people that didn't have it go well and how their suffering deeply and their families are suffering deeply it is affected there life and more than one way financially independently and their happiness if not their life. I think they need to do more research on this surgery before they do any more because they're not able to fix the problems and many cases. This is a voice type so do the best you can

My brother was a bad outcome. But I am post o.p 14 days and doing ok. It has a ton to do with the Dr you chose and the expertise they have as well as the prior medical issues. My brother and I did 2 different hospitals. 2 different out comes. Yes I was and still am terrified I messed up. But time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

It's easy to understand why there are more horror stories online than not... same reason you ca find more negative yelp reveiws than not. People like to discuss, announce,complain, and/or make others aware of a negative situation/outcome than those who had a good one. It is viewed as beneficial to warn others but bragging if you "overly discuss" something good. For good outcomes you need not only the basic Internet but areas such as this dedicated to bariatric surgery, and doctors should be able to provide patient references as well as rating found with medical sites

On 8/3/2017 at 9:37 PM, Debedeb said:

No one pay attention to this poster, she was caught on another thread for being a troll. They also found fake Fundme accounts, under her name as well.

I'm saddened to hear this. It also has me terrified. I had my sleeve done 7/31/17. I've been overweight 25 years, and have high BP, use a CPAP and show signs of prediabetes.

My sister in law had her surgery done 18 months ago and looks fabulous! My girlfriend had lapband 6 years ago and also had good results.

I was released to return home on 8/1/17. I felt fine other than the usual aches and pains. The following day (Weds) I felt achy, feverish and like I was short of breath. We drove to the local ER and were sent home with a "possible pneumonia " diagnosis and a Z-pack prescription.

By 6 am Thur I couldn't breathe and my body was filled with horrendous pain. We returned to ER, but I was kept and transported down into the hospital where my original surgery had been performed. I was promptly admitted and tested. CT with swallow test shows small pouch with a leaker. Everything I had been eating was draining into my abdomen. ☹️

Emergency surgery was scheduled that night, two drains placed and rounds and rounds of "banana bags", potassium and antibiotics! Unfortunately I do not have good veins, so my arms are taking a beating.

As of this morning, 8/12/17, I'd had enough of being in the hospital. The bed is killing my bursitis, I'm bored to tears, tired of getting poked and they had essentially disconnected me from everything. I'm even back on liquid diet x 3 days. And every day being told I'd go home tomorrow.

I left against medical advice even though they kept stating "one more day." I had enough. I came home, slept comfortably in my bed and am managing my needs with help of my family. My doctor called in some more antibiotics and home meds and stated he's not thrilled with my decision to leave, but will not leave me without care.

Truly, if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have done the surgery... Period!

***DON'T DO IT!!! ^^^