Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vanity...

Well, I'll be honest, Vanity DID play a huge role in my decision. Turning 40 and being fat was not fun for me. Health is starting to deteriorate too, so I'm telling my DH its for health reasons, but deep down, I want to be sexy again!

Its like Justin's song goes "I'm bringing Sexy Back!"

3 ½ years ago when I initially checked into the surgery it was more for vanity reasons. Insurance did not cover it and I could not afford it out of pocket. I think it was God’s way of telling me I wasn’t ready. I didn’t push the issue…I told my DH if it wasn’t approved I would not fight it because it was not meant to be. At that time I weighed 240 and my BMI was just barely 40. I did find out through the process I had sleep apnea. I already knew I had arthritis in my knees and I was insulin resistant. I became pregnant in August 2004 and had a very unhealthy pregnancy (pre-eclampsia) and delivered a 10 lb baby by c-section. I was placed on bed rest at 32 weeks and got up to 290 by the end of my pregnancy. I was miserable. Trying to keep up with a baby at my weight was not easy and I realized by the time he was about 6 months old I could not do it. Fortunately for me, my insurance started covering the procedure and I started the process in 12/2005 and had surgery 5/2006 right after my son turned one. So this time around it was more so for health and quality of life. I wanted to play with my son without being tired, I wanted to be pregnant again and have a fit/active pregnancy and go non stop up until time to deliver. I wanted to be able to be active and be able to stand and walk without being miserable. I wanted to grow old and healthy. I will say that vanity was a small part and I am not ashamed to admit it. I want to look nice and turn heads and I want my DH to be proud of his wife. I wanted to shop in regular stores. I wanted to feel my best inside and out. I can say it was the best decision I have made, almost 70 lbs lighter. I no longer use my c-pap, I exercise on a regular basis and I love playing with my son. Regardless of the main reason to have the surgery, I just think you have to be emotionally ready for the changes. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

When lying in bed at night, where all your fears rear their ugly heads....my health was on the forefront. I would imagine dying from one of the diseases (High blood pressure, diabetes on the way, strong familial history of heart disease) I was dealing with, and no one being able to lift my casket at the funeral. I could see them rolling me out, and every person there knowing it was because I was too fat to carry.

In the light of day---vanity was the most obvious. I didn't want to be looked at funny when I went out to eat. I did not want to be the biggest person in the room at DH's company Christmas party. I wanted to buy clothes and bra's off the rack, in ANY store!!! But I knew my diet history....and knew that as badly as I wanted it, it was a distant if not impossible dream, until I heard of lapbanding!!!

Kat

Kat-My thought process was exactly the same way!! Lapband is a TRUE lifesaver!

I didn't imagine dying of some horrid disease... I imagined what life would be like if I lived to be over 90 like most of the women in my family.

My knees were disintigrating at 40. What would they be like at 60? 80? It wasn't a pretty picture. Would I be bedridden? In constant pain?

Dead would seem like a much better alternative than THAT - but I opted for door number 3: The Band.

Did Vanity play a part? You Betcha! Do I want to be the "hot" sister for the first time in my life? Yep. Sure do.

I love my husband and I have no plans to go play - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to get the occassional offer. Is that bad?

So - for me

#1 - Health

#2 - Vanity.

What does DH stand for? I am assuminh the H is for husband, but what does the D stand for?

Normally, it stands for "dear" or "darling".

There are times I have other meanings in mind. "darn" is one of the nicer ones.. :heh:

mostly for my health. i would lie in bed thinking i was going to have a heart attack ... i was petrified that i would die and not see my daughter grow up :cry

however, the better sex with DH doesnt hurt ... :biggrin1:

i cant really say im into the looks part yet - i'm still just over 350, but i cant wait to not get the looks of disgust from other people ...

To be honest, vanity is a major reason for me. I want to be slender for once in my life. I want to shop in the regular store and find clothing that actually accentuates my body instead of hiding it. I want to wear a swimsuit without a skirt or a cover-up. I want to be asked out on dates. I'm 23 and never been asked out.

But there are some health reasons I am doing it, too. I am a field biologist. I want to be able to go out and work anywhere in the world without worrying that the land is too steep for me to walk anywhere. I want to keep up with my coworkers and friends when we are working without feeling like I am going to have an asthma attack. I don't want to get turned down for jobs simply because I am fatter than the other applicants. If I get ready to have kids, I want to be able to conceive (I have PCOS). I don't want to have diabetes and heart disease (both heavy in my family) or have both knees replaced like my mom.

Vanity was it for me. I was tired of being a "big girl". I have been overweight so much of my life. I was/am ready for that to change. I am not hunting for a mate, but I wouldn't mind being looked at again without it being because I am big.

I am not looking to be "hot" necessarily, but I would like to feel good about myself. So yes it is vanity, but for me. I want to feel like I look good.

I feel so tired of looking so fat . So I guess that is vanity to some degree. In adition to having panic attacks at night thinking Im dying from a heart attack

Its a combination for me , I have always been healthy , but every sense realizing my weight has made me have health issues now Im scared in addition to feeling fat. So its a combination of things .

I'm not banded yet, but going into it I think it's about 50% vanity and 50% health.

Dating was hellish. I never once had a woman seriously flirt with me out of nowhere. I had a very hard time getting any girl my age to look twice at me. Being a nerd with a Star Wars fetish was bad enough, but being one and being over weight was killer. I was a virgin until I was 23 which isn't bad if you choose it, but let me tell you it wasn't by choice! :phanvan

Although I'm madly in love with my wife-to-be I'll probably always remember a girl I knew that I had a crush on that probably bordered on unrequited love. By the time I met her I had pretty much been crushed by getting shot down asking for dates. I think on some level, even though I have no desire to seek her out ever again, I'll never get over "what might have happened" had I not been trapped inside this body.

On the other hand looking out at life in the future I want to make sure I stick around for a long long time too! I was to be active with my kids. My dad is diabetic and I have a family history of it. My knees and back are grinding more and more. I'm tired all the time.

I want to make sure that if I take the next three years of my life and sacrifice to go to law school I won't keel over at 40 before I get a chance to retire and enjoy the fruit of my labors.

Lets also be very very honest. In the business world looks matter a lot. I know I've been turned down from several retail jobs because of how I look even though I was more than qualified for the position. Who do they get instead? The bimbo who can't run a register to save their life but looks good! I don't want to get passed over for a job at a law firm because of the way I look either. A jury is prejudiced the same way society is and will attribute more positive traits to the good looking lawyer sad as it may be.

I really did it for mobility. I was 30ish and couldn't get around at all very well. Now it has improved my health and I do look better.

I was 22 at the time of my surgery, and didn't currently have any health issues. My blood pressure has always been normal, but I could see it starting to climb a little bit.

So, since I didn't have any health issues, a large part of it was how I looked, but also wanting to avoid issues in the future to begin with. I've lost enough to really not have to worry about those health issues any more, I think, so now all that's left is vanity, lol.