Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six Tijuana doctors arrested in sting

"Those arrested in the sting operation include Dr. Carlos Alessandrini, Dr. Carlos Jaime Herrera and Dr. Severo Rios Ornelas, all Mexican citizens who also have U.S. legal permanent resident status. Alessandrini and Herrera both live in Chula Vista, while Ornelas lives in Tijuana.

Also arrested were Dr. Elia Judith Cerecer, Dr. Ricardo Vega Montiel and Dr. José Sergio verboonen Sotelo, all Mexican citizens living in Tijuana. Verboonen advertises a weight-loss surgical procedure known as gastric banding over the Internet. The English-language Web site, apparently aimed at U.S. patients, notes that his Tijuana medical office is near San Diego, making it "convenient for American patients."

Found this info while searching for credible doctors....

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/20030410-9999_1m10fraud.html

....Just found this in my search for a Mexian doctor. Like American doctors haven't done it too...I'm sure...still, searching for that Mexican surgeon. I need to talk to people that are two and three years with their bands. Names please?

Well, email me please, if you find anything else neg. I have surgery scheduled with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana in January. This is such a scarey thing but such a needed thing at the same time.

Robin,

I had surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Sept and had my first fill this pass Saturday. You are going to be in good hands. I can't say enough good things about him and his staff.

Robin, when I was looking into getting banded, going to MX for surgery sounded like suicide. However, through this site, someone private messaged me and told me about their experience. She told me how good she felt about the entire ordeal and never felt safer. Well, I knew I could not afford the $15K to $25K that most doctors in the U.S. charged, plus I was going to have to be self pay because I did not have 40+ BMI. So, my choices were to either get banded in TJ or not get banded at all. I decided that it (the weight)was the thorn in my flesh. I had to do this and if so many other people felt safe doing a particular doctor in TJ, I should just do it. So, I did. To be real honest, Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez were great. They went an extra couple of miles for me and I have to say, the MX doctors did me right. I truly can not complain at all. The American doctors would have not done what they did............

I was very pleased. Take the plunge and do it right. I do suggest you look into Dr. Ortiz. However, it was Dr. Martinez that works with Dr. Ortiz that went so much out of his way for me.............though both were great!!!!!

God bless

Wild

Well, email me please, if you find anything else neg. I have surgery scheduled with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana in January. This is such a scarey thing but such a needed thing at the same time.

I had my surgery this past July, by Dr. Ortiz. I have to wholeheartedly agree with the statements made here. It was a great experience and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, if I had to.

Yes I would highly recommend Dr Oliak. I had my surgery on 1/7/08 and today is my 1st day back at work. I feel great! So far I have lost about 10 pounds. I think it is just because of the liquid phase though. Dr Oliak is very professional and nice. As well as is assistant Allison is. The office staff there is very nice.

Guest Band4EJ

I was banded in TJ by Dr. Huacuz 11 months ago. I haven't had any complications and I am almost to goal weight. Dr. Huacuz, the nurses and his staff were great and definitely gave much better care than I believe I would have received in the U.S. Dr. Huacuz called me at home at least twice to check on me.

Like many people I went to Mexico because I was self-pay due to having a lower BMI and Kaiser for insurance. I was desperate, having tried every diet program out there plus eating disorder counseling. I am finally at a healthy weight and have no regrets that I went to Mexico. Would I recommend this to friends or family if they could afford to get the surgery done closer to home? Probably not.

Despite my satisfaction with the results, there were concerns. My surgery was performed at a clinic. If something had gone very wrong would I have gotten to a hospital in time? Would the hospital have been in TJ or San Diego? I was so depressed and desperate at the time of research and then surgery that I didn't ask this question. I didn't want to think about it. The other big issue is...what about fills and aftercare? Do you have somebody lined up for that, because it is important. I didn't. I relied on internet research and what I learned on this site to get me through the ups and down of band life. I traveled to TJ once for a fill. It took hours to get there and back and because of that I never got another fill or exam. I think I was very lucky that the one fill worked for me.

Mexico is the best and only option for many of us BUT ask many questions, tour the facility ahead of time and line up after care before the surgery is actually done.

Is bad to hear bad things from doctors, in all the world exist professional and non professional surgeons. My surgeon in Tijuana; make my experience nice and comfortable. I am very happy with his work I already lose 90 pounds and still looking for lose more. I think about the doctors that are in trouble is because $$$$. But not all doctors are like them. I am very happy to be in hands of my surgeon (Dr. Contreras) you can find him in Tijuana. (Weightloss Management Clinic - Home). I can't say nothing bad about my surgeon.

And still more than happy.

Hi To All Im Considering Dr. Corvala In Tijuana... Any One Have Their Surgery Done With Him?

I Too Am Very Stresed Over Chosing A Good Doc. That Is Honest.

You're right, looking is stressful! I was very happy with my surgeon. He is affiliated with UCLA which made me feel good about my decision. The hosptial was very modern, new and they took very good care of me. You can pm me if you want to ask me any questions.