Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Denied, fighting depression.

Please don't take offense at the addiction comments. My grandfather was a severe alcoholic who was in and out of rehab at least eight times and got DWIs' date=' was blacking out and had liver and brain damage.

I am just so angry that I wasted 10 months when they could have told me this at the beginning! If it's only a waiting period, I have proof that I went to the seminar in February, that I've been to two support group meetings since then.

I'm just so devastated and I'm trying so hard not to be a negative b&tch in my real life. This feels like a safe place to vent.

[/quote']

Oh please don't worry!! No offense taken. Just want you to know I understand and this is so different of a battle with insurance etc. this is a great place to find support and vent! You are not. B word! Remember to say positive things to yourself everyday - we all know how hard that is! But please try. One thing I did was keep all my proof of seminars, classes etc. my insurance Aetna wanted 2 yrs over 40 BMI and the six months they were a pain! Now they approved surgery but denied hospital stay overnight!!

See your patient advocate and ask for help. That's what they are there for- they get paid for it so don't hesitate to ask for it every step of the way! I'm in Reno NV, wish you were close I'd give you a hug and we could have a Protein shake together!! Hang in there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Oops sorry finger slip!! I went to see my advocate in Friday and talk about the denial for hospital - they said some things are up to the doc that insurance cannot say NO to if doc says YES. I'm still scared of costs etc but I trust my doc and his staff so I'm pressing on. Keeping you in my thoughts - hang in there!'

Sent from my iPhone using VST

You can talk to your surgeon's insurance person. He/she may know the requirements or, if not, will likely know how to handle this situation.

I'm so sorry you are struggling! I too was denied TWICE! Even with other medical issues it wasn't until my BMI was a 40 for two years- it was 39!

At any rate I kept fighting and having surgery on 1/16/13

My primary doc' date=' my gynecologist and patient advocate were huge help and strong arms!

I know it's not really appropriate, but I wish you wouldn't have compared our weight loss battle to that of a drug addict. I just feel I needed to say this as I thank God every day insurance helped my son, who is alive today. Insurance only covered 1 of his many rehabs - its not what you think. Fighting his addiction along side him for six years made me believe I could fight this battle for myself and I have and I AM!

You will do this. You will be heAlthy and happy. Don't give up. You keep fighting and you will soon see the power that you hold inside- dont let insurance or anything stand in your way!! It may take longer than you hope, but YOU CAN DO IT!!

Keep us posted and you will be in my prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

How did you get approved?

Oh the surgeon's office lady told me to start with the six months, she wasn't very helpful.

Oh the surgeon's office lady told me to start with the six months, she wasn't very helpful.

I know that isn't want you want to hear, but maybe it is the best advice. In any event, even if you are pursuing surgery in Mexico it might make sense to start the six month weight loss program. That leaves your options open in case some other problem crops up.

I just got another email from WW telling me they won't provide me with a receipt for my meetings or any verification unless I give them a cancelled check. Then it takes ten days. I'm trying really hard not to get upset but WTF???

Why can't they just give it to me? Im just sad and numb.

I might go in person to a WW tomorrow and talk to someone.

I was thinking I could record my conversation with the WW people where they tell me my dates and that they refuse to put it in writing and somehow send that to UHC. I don't know but I'm just so beyond frustrated.

I will never go back to WW after this. Never.

I have no faith that doctors or nutritionists know what to do to get me to lose weight. I have no faith left in myself that I can lose weight without this surgery. None.

My doctor is overweight herself and I'm supposed to get diet information from her?

I'm going to sit here and have a pity party.

Take a breath. Yes, your doctor can give you weight loss information. There is no reason she wouldn't know how to lose weight. On this board, all are or have been overweight, yet I bet 90% of us know and knew before contemplating the surgery how to lose weight, including exercising and eating healthy foods in reasonable portions.

You are depressed and it appears to me you are having trouble forming a workable plan. Please forgive me for saying that. I am trying to help. For many, many years, I was depressed, too. Having a workable plan that set a goal and laid out the necessary steps to getting there would have been what I needed. My suggestion is that you find out exactly what your policy requires and comply with that. Doing so will help ensure you don't have further disappointments down the road. It is likely that your insurance requires a doctor supervised weight loss program of six months and that the supervised program must be documented in your doctor's notes every month for six months, necessitating six visits to your doctor over the six month period. If that is so, Weight Watchers may not be of any help to you and you should make an appointment with your doctor to see if she can supervise you for the six month weight loss program.

Many of us did this and you can, too. You can get started tomorrow with your insurance company and with scheduling doctors appointments if you are of a mind to do so.

Again, I just mean to help. If your insurance has different requirements than I discussed here, you will need another workable plan. Please don't go off in unproductive directions. It will only lead to more negativity and depression. You can do this.

Thank you for your help. I am frustrated because I can't get anyone to tell me what the steps are. Everytime I call I get a different answer. if they would just tell me in writing exactly what I need to do I could handle it. It's the not knowing and feeling like no matter what I do they are going to find a reason to deny it that upsets me.

I don't know how to get them to just give me a definite answer.

Thank you for your help. I am frustrated because I can't get anyone to tell me what the steps are. Everytime I call I get a different answer. if they would just tell me in writing exactly what I need to do I could handle it. It's the not knowing and feeling like no matter what I do they are going to find a reason to deny it that upsets me.

Make an appointment with your PCP and tell him/her that you need to have diet monitoring for 6 months ( actually 7 the 1st. doesn't count) for WLS. Did your Bariatric Clinic give you a form for your doctor to fill out each month?

Hi--have you called the benefits coordinator at your husbands company? I have found that they are really helpful and can often get you the approval.

I tweeted on UHC and got a fast response. We will see what they say.

Hooray! Make sure they guide you to the correct section in your insurance policy so you can print it out to have paper documentation.