Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose the sleeve after the band

I need a revision from band to??? Gastric bypass or sleeve? Surgeon says revisions loose more weight with the gastric bypass and need the restriction plus the malabsorption.

.I read here that many love the sleeve after having the revision from the band and do well.

WHY did you choose the sleeve and how much weight have you lost after...a year?

The reason I'm asking the surgeons office called today and said they could schedule me in mid Jan. for gastric bypass...I'm in panic mode now..trying to decide..which is safest, which have the best weight loss rate for long term and which is easier to maintain the lifestyle.

I'm self pay and the sleeve is cheaper than the bypass as a revision from band.

Thanks to all that answer.

I decided to have the sleeve instead of RNY after the band because I am young (24) and long term RNY complications are pretty high. I actually wanted an RNY but my surgeon kind of talked to me about the differences and basically stated that sleeve patients can do just as well as RNY patients in terms of weight lost. Now, if you want an RNY I won't talk you out of it, like I said, I was there too but keep your safety in mind.

How old are you? How much do you have to lose? If you have more than 150 pounds I would go with the RNY probably.

I was self pay, paid three occassions on a broken band. Don't let money determine your decision. This is an immensely personal, intimate decesion-- requiring honest introspection to oneself for motivation, goals and can you follow rules. Sleeve is ONLY restrictive, can like all of them be abused, stretched and manipulated. I chose sleeve because I met my goals w my band and am determined to NEVER go back. I can, did and will follow the rules to a fault. I will NOT stretch or abuse my sleeve---- I worked too hard to get here. From 240 to 130. I Did not need the malabsorption component. I wanted to maintain. My spouse has RNY, doesn't follow the rules-- he is 130# Lighter but will never reach goals even with RNY becAuse he cheats the WLS like so many do. Be honest with yourself, habits and expectations--- you will pick what's best for you. Good luck !!

I decided on the sleeve for my revision from the band instead of RNY because it is what advised by mr dr. It's one of the best decisions I have ever made. I would continue to research both surgeries and decide on the one that is right for you. Good luck on your decision and weight loss.

I am not sold on the gastric bypass...I guess that's really why I asked the question. I have a history of a surgeon telling what was best for HIS pocket book and pushed the band since in 2007 he didn't do the sleeve and told me was too dangerous. NOW I question all surgeons....are they really doing what is best for me or does it just fatten their bank account...sorry...it's just because of past experiences and I don't want to make the same mistake again. I never made goal even though I lost 75lbs with the band. All of a sudden the band didn't feel the same didn't work the same and when I would go back to the doctor he wouldn't listen...just pat my arm and said it was my fault and to go back to the rules...which I was following....not perfectly all the time but enough to know something was wrong.

Fast forward 7 years and an endoscope...new surgeon said my band was placed way too low and after the body stopped swelling and healed I had a very large pouch and no amount of tightening would help since the pouch would hold more in the first lace. What I had from the first band surgery was a prolapse through my band which was way too tight...but still a large pouch..

Thank you for helping me put the pieces together for a true decision...not ones from books.< /p>

The first surgeon I saw wanted me to get the rny because I had already "failed" with a restrictive only procedure. I started down the path of insurance, nutrition etc etc etc for the gastric bypass but I never felt good about it. After about a year of dragging my feet I came to the decision, in my heart that I would rather live fat then have that surgery. That is not a rational decision probably, but my own heart just could not get around having a pouch and the issues that come with rerouting intestines.

So, always trying I contacted a place that did non surgical weight loss programs. I lucked out and happened to talk to the director. As I gave her my story it became apparent to her that I was not a good candidate for her program and that I really needed a revision weight loss surgery AND that I needed to talk to some people about the gastric sleeve, the procedure that had been ruled out previously.

So, there is a lady that used to post her that had her list of reasons for the sleeve over rny and it reinforced my own decision too. It was basically that whole pouch nightmare that for me was the showstopper. I have a small stomach now, but it is a stomach and doesnt do unpredictable things like my pouch with the lapband.

My research showed that the long-term sleeve results are nearly identical to long-term RNY results. RNY might get you there quicker, which is tempting, but having been successful with the band (198 lbs lost in 2 years), I was pretty confident in my ability to work my sleeve in the same successful way.

I had similar reasons to all of the above. I know a lot of people who have had RNY, and I could not think of anyone who did not have significant regain at about 5 years out. I felt that if I was going to go through all the long term complications of RNY, I wanted some better assurance that my success would be long-term. I felt that the sleeve has similar weight loss outcomes, if a bit slower, and fewer malabsorption issues. (The way my surgeon described it to me is that it is mostly restrictive with a little malabsorption because of the loss of stomach enzymes that help digest certain nutrients. Not as much the kind of malabsorption that helps weight loss, but the kind that causes Vitamin malabsorption.) Also, the sleeve could easily be converted to RNY or DS if it was necessary--not that I want any more surgery, but that is out there if for some reason I can't do well with a sleeve. I think since I did do well initially with a band that this is a good choice for me.

I chose the sleeve rather than full gastric bypass, for several reasons...I keep saying well I must need the stomach if it was put there LOL, the full RNY scares me, the NUT said the sleeve I better for those with autoimmune diseases such as hypothyroidism especially with the stuff I have.. Good luck with your decision