Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banding in November

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site but have decided to go with Dr. Ortiz in Mexico for my surgery. I am just working the dates now but it looks like I'll be going the 3rd week of November.:clap2: Anyone else getting banded around that time? Everyone's posts have been sooo informative and inspirational, thank you!

....how do you post the weight ticker thing at the bottom??

Hi There,

I just got home from my consultation. My hubby and I are doing it together. He will be banded on Nov. 17th and myself on Nov. 23rd. I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. We went through tons of questions today. I'm pretty comfortable about this procedure. It's just the pre & post diet I'm afraid of. I hope I will be able to keep up with it.

Oh ya, I'm getting it done in Toronto at the Prince Arthur Medical clinic. It's a really nice place. My consultant is Nisrine. She's very nice and helpful. While in the waiting room, there were 3 ladies. All coming in for fills. They have had great success so far. So it was nice talking with them before my consult....

Any words of wisdom for me? Regarding the pre & post diet.... anyone experience real problems at first?

Thank you.

Doriana

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site but have decided to go with Dr. Ortiz in Mexico for my surgery. I am just working the dates now but it looks like I'll be going the 3rd week of November.:clap2: Anyone else getting banded around that time? Everyone's posts have been sooo informative and inspirational, thank you!

....how do you post the weight ticker thing at the bottom??

Hiya and welcome SUNSRETURN! Hope you get lots of useful info form our Canuck Corner. Where in Can. are you from? Tell us a lil' more info about you!

The ticker thingy is from www.tickerfactory.com; you can make one and then go to "edit signature" to add it in to your posts.

Good luck with your research and journey.

Hi Doriana....I was really happy with TLBC....and Nisrine, Kathy (post-op) et al are excellent; I doubt you will be disappointed. You do know that Nisrine had the surgery a few yrs ago, eh? Amazing isn't she?!! Blows me away.

I'm sure Loriely will have lots of advice for you since her and Mr. Loriely got banded a few weeks apart! They are doing fabulous!

I hope you are getting a price break....too bad it isn't two for one, eh?! LOL

There is lots of info on the pre-post op diets in the general and support threads of the site....u can do a search for it too.

But yeah, speaking for myself, I had a rough time for the first few days (wicked carb withdrawal symptoms; mainly headaches and GRUMPINESS....ask Mr Yoda!) :phanvan :cool: But I got into the swing of things and did well and ended up losing 16 lbs in the 2 weeks prior to surgery. This made the procedure go that much better for it made my liver more limber (it is moved out of the way for the procedure).

I also found the post-op diet difficult (not for the first week though) but I tell ya...having to do the preop diet REALLY helps you be prepared for the post op diet. I know some who didn't have to do a preop diet and they just about died doing the post op....so really....the preop diet is a blessing in disguise!!! Like anything though, you get used to it....and looking back, the postop diet wasn't that bad really....and it is good to follow it, for obvious reasons!

No worries....once you are at that stage, we'll help you out; you can come on here and bitch and complain and we'll offer support and you will get LOTS of ideas on how to cope. You can even get them now, like I say by doing searches on the other threads.

Congrats to you and your hubby on your decision to be healthier!!! Awesome for you!! (btw, Mr Yoda....who is not banded - and won't be - has lost 28 lbs just by eating better along with me!) Nice added bonus!!!

Anyways....welcome to you too.

Thanks for the info on the ticker-thing.

I'm in Vancouver...I looked at docs in Canada but the cost was simply prohibitive. I'm going with Ortiz given his expertise in the field...and I haven't heard any bad yet! :clap2: I feel nervous yet excited too...the way I see it, I can't go on living with obesity and I don't want to die, so time to do something that works and lasts!

Only thing is that I won't be able to have my first fill for about 2 months after the surgery as a month after the surgery I'm going on vacation with my hubby overseas and we'll be gone for 5 weeks. Hopefully it works out okay tho! What's the earliest that you can get a fill?

I'd be more than happy to compare notes Doriana as we seem to be scheduled for around the same time!

Hi November bandsters...come join all of us at the November bandsters thread! Welcome! We are at the general board!:cool:

Welcome Doriana,

I will also be banded at the Prince Arthur medical Clinic, but not until Jan.

you both must be soooo excited !

This site is great ! I have learned so much about what to expect from the surgery. Everyone is great in sharing their experiences.

Wish you both all the best

Yasmina

Hello Sunsreturn,

I am in the same boat as you, I am going to Egypt six weeks after the surgery, so I quess I will have to wait until come back for a fill. I am from Thunder bay and must fly to Toronto for fills. Good thing I love Toronto !

Yasmina

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Yasmina, I will be going to France & Algeria...I don't know how couscous rates on the food list for bandsters. haha Anyone know?

I'm hoping a local doc in Vancouver will do my fills but if not then I can go across the border to Arlington, WA to get them.

Welcome SUNSRETURN and Doriana!

Suns, you've got the same starting weight as me! And I believe it's Dr. Leung that will do your fills in Vancouver.... someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I know there's someone getting their fills there... (ragergirl, for sure is)

I checked with Leung's office, ARGON, and he won't do fills (according to his secretary) for people who got their surgery outside of Canada. Dr. Amson in Victoria has also stopped. I've got 2 options left that I'm waiting to hear from...we'll see how that goes. I'd like to hope that it is a Cdn doctor trend to not do the fills just because the surgery was done outside of Canada (aka a dr. protest)...

I'm in awe of your progross ARGON! Wow! When did you get banded? It's been so long since I've seen a "1" before my weight that I haven't set a goal weight yet....

WELCOME Sunsreturn and Doriana .Yes this is a great site for advice and encouragement.Yes my hubby and i both had the same band put in.We are doing good.(thanks Yoda)

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Yasmina, I will be going to France & Algeria...I don't know how couscous rates on the food list for bandsters. haha Anyone know?

I'm hoping a local doc in Vancouver will do my fills but if not then I can go across the border to Arlington, WA to get them.

Very smart to wait for your first fill until after your trip since you are leaving soon after. Wise, indeed, you are! You'll likely have no problem eating anything.....you'll be healed from the surgery (ie. no swelling) and you won't have a fill so you won't have much (if any) restriction....so it will be like you are bandless. Just be careful not to overdo it with the amount of food etc so that you don't unknowingly distend your pouch!

Sounds like a FUN trip!