Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 week liquid diet?

I have a required 2 wk liquid diet before my surgery on Jan 17. I have gained about 10 lbs since my initial evaluation in July so I thought I might start a week early. I want to be where I was in July by the time of my surgery. Is it safe to try for 3 weeks? Do you think I could lose about 20 lbs? I'm starting out at about 360.

My doctor required a 3 week pre-op diet as well as a required weight loss before surgery.

i was 389 when I scheduled my surgery. My doctor sent me the pre op diet and said i didnt have to start it until three weeks before my surgery ( in feb) but i didnt went to lose 100 pounds and still be so close to 300 lbs. I emailed my doctor and asked if i could start now he said yes. I drink 2 Eas carb advantadge shakes a day with one Protein Bar (adkins or the EAS) then a low carb dinner. I have been doing this for a month and a half now and i have lost 25 lbs. I do cheat once and a while but i get right back on.

I was 383 and was only required to do 2 weeks. I lost 30 pounds prior to surgery (15 of which I gained back in the 2 days I was in the hospital :P). The first week was rough. By the second week I HATED shakes and actually called my doctor's office to see if I could just drink 3 of them rather than the 5 they wanted. I just wasn't hungry any more and the idea of forcing myself to drink them was UGH.

My advice is if you're going to start early, start on a weekend or some time where you're able to just devote your time to getting used to the liquid diet. By the time I had done it for a week or so, I had it down to a science. If you're blending your own shakes, invest in the XS size storage containers ("100 calorie") to store pre measured powder and mix-ins so all you have to do is grab one of each and you're ready to go.

I started preop diet last week on my own but wasn't supposed to start until this week. I lost 9 lbs in a week and the preop diet mainly consisted of Protein Shakes , meat and veggies. Then Clear Liquids two days before surgery. I don't even have a surgery date yet so Im sure u will be fine by starting early.

highest weight = 305

current=296

If you pick a good shake that's has lots of Vitamins and minerals I think it shouldnt be a problem. But again I'm not a Dr. I had to do a two week 4-5 shakes a day plus Clear Liquids. I started that around 316 and the morning of surgery (12/10) I was 300.1. So almost 16lbs in 14 days. The shakes they put me on were Bariatric Advantage and I had to purchase the through my center. They were ok. They got kinda thick upon blending and yiu could doctor them up with fruits and sf syrups. But Dr said it definitely did my liver some good ;-)

Good luck to you and always check with surgeon first.

I had gained some weight over thanksgiving and I opted to start my pre op a week early. I'm a little over two weeks in and I'm fine.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches