Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder Removal During Vsg

I got the news yesterday that my gallbladder ultrasound found at least one gallstone. The news was delivered by my PCP and he had indicated that without "gallbladder attacks," it's probably not a big deal. I happened to have my Nut#3 the same day, yesterday, and when I inquired, she said that the doctor would remove the gallbladder. It sounded like an automatic "gallstones = removal."

I'm thinking the logic is the risk of needing a second surgery (second anesthesia, etc.) outweighs the risk of the preemptive strike of removing the gallbladder.

I had found another post about removal AFTER having had WLS, but I was curious to get some feedback who are in the same boat as me: doctor took it out DURING your VSG. What were your experiences?

It is pretty common for the gallbladder to go kaput after VSG surgery; hence, the reason they scan prior to the procedure. If they are already in there working they might as well go ahead and take it out at surgery time. Sadly, if you have a gallstone you will have complications with the gallbaldder down the road. Their thought is why crack you back open to take something out that they know is going to be a problem.

You won't even notice any difference in pain level, etc. I'm glad they found the problem prior to surgery. Often times the surgeon repairs anything in that general area that needs fixing (i.e. hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal, liver biopsy, etc.)

Good Luck and let us know how it goes! :)

Is there any life change sans-gallbladder?

I had my gall bladder removed about 2 weeks before my sleeve surgery. I had a major painful attack and the doc hated it but felt he had to remove it even though he could have done it two weeks later, (he could not move up my vs surgery). I totally agreed with him. I had these attacks before and didn't know what they were. I can assure you, you don't want a gall stone/gall bladder attack. Misery is well defined by them.

I was told to lay low on the fat for a while. No other changes outside of feeling better were noticed.

This whole topic is kind of a sore subject for me. An ultrasound revealed several gallstones about 2 weeks before my VS surgery. I met with my surgeon's PA to review the test results and consented to having the gallbladder removed because we agreed it was best to take care of everything at once and prevent future surgeries. After my surgery I was talking with the surgeon and he told me he repaired a hiatal hernia while they had me open. I asked "And you removed the gallbladder too right?" He said "No, you didn't need that." I reminded him of the ultrasound results and he indicated he was not told I had consented to the gallbladder removal. Obviously he had never reviewed my test results himself. So now I feel like there's a ticking clock and it's only a matter of time before I have to go back in.

Get the gallbladder removed. Why go through surgery twice. :)

Obviously he had never reviewed my test results himself.

That's terrible. There should be some recourse for that.

Maybe I should use a sharpie on my stomach and write: "Sleeve - not RnY... and don't forget the gallbladder" on the day of surgery!!

I've seen several TV dramas where a doctor was getting a leg amputated and they wrote, "not this one, idiot!" on the good leg!

Gallbladder attacks are so painful there is nothing that relieved mine. Gallstones once usually means u r at higher risk for them again then vsg can increase risk too..believe me something u don't want to take the risk of just to have another surgery down the road. My gallbladder removal was 10 months before vsg and recovery was much worse for gallbladder than vsg. I say get it out all in one then u especially don't have to deal with all the extra gas twice (which was the worse pain for me for both surgeries). Also now I have scars from glabladder and separate ones for vsg they might be able to do less all in one

Get it out with your WLS surgery. I was sleeved in Feb 12, lost 100 lbs and had a major attack that landed me in the ER. I just had it out last week and have to deal with recovering again (diarrhea and four more holes in my gut!)

Responding even though I didn't have mine out during my VSG surgery, but I am having it removed 3 months & 4 days after having my VSG surgery. I had an attack a few weeks ago, first ever. Never had a scan on my GB before this. I will be having it removed Friday. I would go ahead & get it out now if they are giving you that option. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

That's terrible. There should be some recourse for that.

Maybe I should use a sharpie on my stomach and write: "Sleeve - not RnY... and don't forget the gallbladder" on the day of surgery!!

I've seen several TV dramas where a doctor was getting a leg amputated and they wrote' date=' "not this one, idiot!" on the good leg![/quote']

My SUR wrote 'sleeve' on my arm the day of surgery. And when i had my knees replaced (a year apart) the SUR did write 'this one' on the knees each time. :-)

Definately make sure both proceedures are on the consent you sign and you OR nurse/staff verifies this with you prior to surgery :)

I would do both proceedures at once. Two birds with one stone. The surgeries are techinally similar and near each other anatomically. Your recovery should be about the same... Better than getting to do it all over again ;-) I had an umbellical hernia repair at the same time as my sleeve and am glad I did, although the pain from this was different than for my sleeve :)

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for everyone's input. Though I have never had issues to date, it seems like a prudent move.

This brings to mind a saying in supply chain, relative to volume forecasting: past performance is not an indicator of future volume. That seems to apply here.

Man, I wish they gave me a consent form to take this out during surgery. They did not or even ask me about it even though I brought it up a couple times post op. the reason I asked is because I am a little nervous about developing the pain related gall bladder stones post op. I am 5 months out, but my understanding is tat it can still occur.

I was having slight gallbladder pain the day of my sleeve. I had diagnosed stones but never had an issue. Doc left it in and exactly one month later i had emergency surgery to remove it. Gallbladder was a super easy surgery, went home same day. My sleeve surgeon told me he would be too fatigued to take it out.