Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week Post-Op And Think I'm Dehydrated

Hi! This is my first post on here. I have been lurking for months. I had my VSG surgery last Monday, Nov. 26th. I was on a clear liquid diet for 5 days, and will be on full liquids for days 6-14. I started full liquids yesterday, and had my Protein Shake first thing yesteray morning. Poured myself 4 oz. and drank it with no problem. So, I started on the other 4 oz. and about 3 sips in, I was so nauseated I had to lie down. After about 2 hours I was able to finish the rest, but then I had a really hard time getting my Water in for the rest of the day. I just felt so full and after a few sips of water my chest would start to hurt. So, the most water I was able to get in was approx. 30 oz. Is that ok for 1 week out? The dr. told me that I should be up to 64 oz. by 1 week post op. But, I don't see how that is possible. Then, this morning my urine was very dark. And, my lower back is aching. Again, I fixed my Protein shake for Breakfast and could only get down a few sips this time before the nausea set in. So, I guess my question is HOW can I get in all the fluids I need without feeling sick? Or am I always going to feel this way? Also, I got a little concerned because last night for dinner, I had strained fat free cream of chicken Soup and I was able to eat around 6-7 oz. of that without any problems at all. But, I'm not sure if I SHOULD be able to eat that much at one time post-op. Makes no sense!

I know this is a very random first post and it is all over the place, but I have a lot of questions. And, I know that there are many people here that will help me answer them.

Thanks in advance. :)

On the positive side: My starting weight at the beginning of the pre-op diet was 234.5 and today I weighed in at 216!!! I seem to be losing about a pound a day right now! I know that will slow down,but for now....YAY!

Are you drinking plain Water? I have to drink propel 0 or I feel sick. That's how I've gotten my 64 oz a day... 2 weeks post op

I am 2 weeks out today and STILL cannot get all my fluids in. I just try and get a little more in each day. Also, a lot of people are not able to tolerate plain Water for awhile after surgery. I drink mostly G2 Gatorade and water with propel zero mixed in. You might want to try that and see if you are able to tolerate that better. Oh and I always drink a 12oz Gatorade first in the morning before my shake because like you mentioned once I drink. Shake I don't feel up to drinking anything else for hours!

I am drinking plain Water. I have tried crystal light, and do ok with it, but seem to be able to drink more if it is just water. I know that sounds crazy, since I'm barely able to drink much of that either. I also have tried light apple juice, and it is basically the same as the crystal light.:/

Definitely try the propel 0 and G2. Or SmartWater if you do better with plain. All three will help with hydration through electrolytes. :)

I am 2 weeks out and I found that I can drink more Water if it is hot and I put little rose water with it and it helps eliminate gass

Try it u can get more water in if it's hot pretentious it's tea

Good luck

I would definately focus on getting more fluids in, even if it's Soup and broths. Fluids first then some Protein Shake. It really sucks to be dehydrated.......So at all cost, get your fluids in...........

Sometimes the temperature of the Fluid can have a bearing on how your sleeve reacts to the fluid intake. I used to start my day with a 12 oz cup of Decaf tea (vanilla chai) and slowly sip that which was very soothing and hydrating, and the fluid passes out of the stomach faster than the shake does because of the Protein and consistency. So I would advise clear fluid first then the shake. Also, at lunch I would have my Soups made with fat free lactaid to up the protein, or even beef consomme to keep hydrating. Remember all the fluids count, the fluids in the Soup and shakes. It may just take time for the swelling in your stomach to go down and then you will be able to tolerate more. Do the best you can, but if you start feeling ill, go ahead and go into urgent care for IV fluids.

I have been trying defferent temps. also. I find that warm does seem to go down easier. I know I read that it would be difficult to get all the fluids in, but I had no idea it would be this hard. Today, I have been sipping on a Protein Shake a little at a time just as I walk by the fridge, and sipping Water in between, but I still haven't gotten a whole 20 oz. bottle of water down yet. Plus, I had around 4-5 oz. of cream of chicken Soup. I go Wed. to get my staples removed, so I will talk to the dr. then about all my concerns. I'm also a little worried that I haven't (sorry tmi) had a bowel movement in several days. Is it because I haven't eaten anything "solid"? And a question.....would potato soup or pureed veggie soup count on the full liquid diet or is that considered soft foods? I feel like I am having to re-learn everything I ever thought I knew about food!

My doc counts the thick Soups in my puree stage.... and have you taken Colace? The delay could be from a back up. ;)

It does take awhile to get things moving, I eventually cooked down some prunes and added them to my thinned out hot Cereal and it finally worked. You may have to add something with Fiber to keep regular like Metamucil - the colace didn't work for me, and you need lots of fluids for that to work, and that is what you are lacking so that can be causing Constipation as well, lack of fluids affects so much!!

Cold things make human tissue constrict, warmer temps make tissue relax, so it makes sense that the colder fluids will be harder to take in if you are swollen inside, so stick with what works!! There are even Soups with Protein in them or you can purchase unflavored Protein and add it yourself to the Soups you like.

All your sources of Fluid count, the Soup itself, the Protein drinks, the clear fluids, even Jello and pudding, whatever is eaten that returns to Fluid state.

Good luck!!

I was sleeved 11/28. If I drink a Protein shake first thing- I get nauseous too. I start with some Powerade zero or thinned cream of wheat made with skim milk and some splenda. That goes down well in the morning. I do the cream of chicken Soup or Tomato Soup, 1/2 snack size pudding, Popsicles. I try to sip sip Water and Powerade all day but I'm not getting in my 64 oz either! I do the Protein Shake in the afternoon and I pour 5-6 oz in a glass and chill in freezer first and it goes down nice. My doc has me on 1 serv of Protein a day week 1 and 2 serv week 2 and so on until. ALSO the 64 oz u are supposed to take in comes from everything not just the Water but as a nurse o tell my patients to pay attn to the Color of the urine to see if u are hydrated. The clearer the better. Good luck everyone- keep up the good work;)

I was having a hard time with just plain Water but was successful when I drank Powerade zero. Just keep trying different things out until you find something that works. Anything you get in is better than nothing.

I am seven days out and is still having a very hard time getting a regular sized bottle of Water down in one day. I think today is the first day that I was feeling a little dehydrated so I am going to have to force the liquids. I have not introduced anything else into my diet because water presents such a discomfort; I'm sure heavier liquids would definitely hurt more.