Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would U Do It With Bmi Of 38?

I would do it in a New York minute.

I am 5'2.....214 lbs and my BMI is 38....I have a few co -morbidity factors...hypertension, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and borderline diabetic. I have tried so many diets over the years, I work out 4 times a week and its been a constant struggle. TOday I went for my pre op...I'm being sleeved December 13th, and the nurse actually said to me you don't need this you are not big enough!! In a few years from now I see myself struggling even more and I feel that this is the time for me to do it..My insurance is covering it 100% which definately helped with my decision.

I can't belive she said that to you!! Insurance companies do not cover surgeries that are not needed. If you didn't meet their criteria for medically necessary, they would not pay for it.

I am 5'2.....214 lbs and my BMI is 38....I have a few co -morbidity factors...hypertension, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and borderline diabetic. I have tried so many diets over the years, I work out 4 times a week and its been a constant struggle. TOday I went for my pre op...I'm being sleeved December 13th, and the nurse actually said to me you don't need this you are not big enough!! In a few years from now I see myself struggling even more and I feel that this is the time for me to do it..My insurance is covering it 100% which definately helped with my decision.

Just reading about this makes me really angry :angry: ! How dare that nurse make such an ignorant comment to you! At my surgeon's office they told me that I wasn't big enough because they hadn't checked the diagnosis of diabetes. I was so confused up to the time I was being admitted for the surgery whether or not I was going to have the surgery. This was such a stressful period for me. I did complain to the surgeon about it and she wasn't too happy with them......I'd call the office and report her comments to the surgeon because she is also sabotaging many more patients there that will put themselves in harms way by not choosing the surgery because of her incompetence. Hang in there and do this for you and your health! You deserve it.... :):rolleyes:

If you have struggled with weight for a significant part of you life--I would do it. If this is a year or two of not having lost weight after pregnancy, consider other options first. If you have already done the "other options" then I would go for it. This surgery is for people who cannot lose weight and keep if off any other way who are obese enough to have a lesser quality of life due to their weight. You don't have to be a really high BMI for that to fit.

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

I am 4'11" and at my heaviest I was 196. I started the process at 184 if I recall properly. The day of surgery I weighed 174. I did this for me to be healthier and to get rid of the comorbitities. I too got a lot of crap from people.not understanding why I was going to do this, did I care? No, I did it for me. I am 2 months out of surgery free of the comorbitities and I am 50 lbs lighter. I am 30 lbs away from goal.

Do this for you. Don't let anyone discourage you. Good luck.

I WAS at 38. I just got sleeved last night. Do what you feel is best for you.

I am about your height and was 10 lbs heavier pre-op. The co-morbs did it for me. Yes, i needed to lose weight badly. Ive been 126 and I've been 226... Actually highest was 263. Its one thing to be obese; its another to have related diseases for which you are forever tied to medication and in all liklihood will shorten your life. Did I want to be that Mom who needs a scooter at 60 because she can't stand for more than 10 minutes? No way. When I heard that the surgery would effectively decrease or eliminate my diabetes and HBP, that was the clincher. I signed on and never looked back. Sleeved on the 19th. Blood sugars have been the lowest in years (sans meds) and BP is close to normal...

So, I say, do it. Bye bye co-morbs!! Hello health and feeling good.

seeing my surgeon in 2 weeks. looking forward to it! i am nervous but i guess that's normal for many...

seeing my surgeon in 2 weeks. looking forward to it! i am nervous but i guess that's normal for many...

Being nervous is totally normal i was terrified to the point of panicking everytime i thought about it for like a month... This was my first surgery ever so i was really scared.... Wasnt bad at all so there was no reason to be that scared but it is what it is... Completely normal i guess...

Good luck with your surgeon and with the surgery.. Im sure u wont regret it!!!!

I am so glad for this post I am 5'1 and I was 225 with a BMI of 41 when I started looking into the surgery I have been super aware of what I take in and my tentative date of surgery is February. I even planned on a trip to Columbia for a Lipo but I would not be able to lose much with that. I went back and forth for years and I started with a BMI of 36. I have done the yo-yo thing and The straw that broke my back was being only 30yrs old I work 3 shifts in the last 36hrs and my knees were in so much pain I had to sit for and hour with a hot pack to keep the pain from intensifying. My back was hurting and I basically could not move until the Advil kicked in. I was sure of this surgery but today I am running to it. I am also apple shape so I keep wondering and hoping my heart won't get effected with this weight I actually love going to the gym but I am in so much pain after I end up takin long breaks and not going back. I hope u keep in touch because I am happy to meet a mom that is going through what I am

I have a Bmi of 32 and I am doing it. I kept fighting a losing battle because I couldn't lose and keep it off.

Do it for your long term health

Mary

My bmi 33 doing it march 14

I had a BMI of 37-38 and I had sleep apnea so my insurance covered it. It was totally worth it. I would never have been satisfied with a tiny portion before surgery. Now I'm full from just a few bites. I'm rarely hungry. I never get cravings. It is the easiest diet I've ever been on. Now if I could only get past this week 3 stall!

I think that was an ignorant statement about the 210 comment that your friend made. I'm sure she didn't mean for it to come across as negatively as it does to me but I really hate when people judge like that. Weight effects us in different ways. I had my surgery at a bmi of 30 and 202 lbs and extremely pleased that i did. I no longer feel hungry 24/7 and I like my small tummy. This has been the easiest diet I've ever done and the weight is flying off me. I used to hit the gym SO hard to lose even the slightest amount and i'd be ravenously hungry all the time. I've done moderate excercise each day (1/2-1 hour walking and i'll get back to skiing in a few weeks here). The pain was minimal and the benefits have been wicked. Just FANTASTIC! I'm so pleased. Why the h did i wait so long-this is my greatest regret.

My issues, that your friend may not have thought about while making that statement are infertility, something of which you likely know a little about having PCOS-you're extremely lucky to have kids. I'm 37 and have tried everything under the sun for 2 years and can't get pregnant. My hormones at that weight were totally messed up. I have stage 4 arthritis in my knees. i dont want knee replacements but i'm going to have to get them if i can't get the weight off. My face is clear now, my chin was full of hormonal acne. I've not even lost that much and things are feeling SO much better.

Don't be influenced by negative chatter from others. I did this for me, I didn't want to tell anyone anything for the exact reasons that have come through in your message. Other people have a human habit of driving fear into every situation. This is about self improvement and quality of life - in my eyes, there's nothing negative about that. Eye on the prize, never make decisions out of fear, they turn out to be missed opportunities and life mistakes.