Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 Days Away... Excited To Begin Again!

Hello everybody! I have just moved my profile over from Lapband Talk to VSGTalk! I am so excited to be here!

I had LapBand in Nov, 2009. I started at 297lbs - my highest weight ever. Optifast brought me down to 290 for surgery day. I was not very successful for the first 6 months or so, but once we found the right restriction, weight started dropping.

For about a year, I lost steadily. I got remarried, ran my first 5K, got down to 204 pounds... the lowest I've ever been since weighing in at 199 in 8th grade PE!

Then the trouble started. After going for a barium swallow for my Crohn's (no complications were occuring, just routine test), the technician thought my band was too tight. Why? Because at 7:30 in the morning, thick, nasty barium wouldn't go through my band fast enough for the test.

So he called my LapBand dr and advised I have Fluid removed immediately. So I did. And from that point forward, over the next 6 months, I had fills and unfills because my band was sooooo finicky after messing with it.

I began vomiting bile and acid every. single. night. I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air and nearly drowning in stomach acid. After about a month, my husband made me go to the doctor. They diagnosed a slip and removed all fluid in March 2012. They waited with hopes it would reposition on its own, but in August 2012 decided to have another surgery to reposition or replace the LapBand.

When I woke up from surgery, I was told they had to remove it. The swelling was so bad, they couldn't move the one already there, but had to cut it out and would not attempt to put a new one in.

In the meantime, my employer (and insurance) had changed. So it was a fight to get them to approve a VSG. But they did. After nutritionist appointments - again. And more classes - again. And even a visit to the shrink - again. They approved it.

I am scheudle for VSG December 4, 2012. I CAN NOT WAIT to start living again. I have gained 60 pounds since the band was deflated :( and I can't stand the way I feel. Overstuffed in jeans (refuse to buy more). Out of breath at the top of stairs. Aches and pains and exhaustion again.

I am so glad to be here and can't wait to get started!

Hi Principal!

Welcome to "Our VST Gang". I really think you'll enjoy this site and get a LOT of good information. But sorry to hear how your lapband went. :( That's great that you were able to deal with your insurance company; I'm not sure I would have had the guts to fight them if my insurance company had given me a hard time about it.

I'm also having my vertical sleeve gastrechtomy week after next, the day before yours. I'm getting sleeved on December 3rd in Dallas. There were no experienced surgeons in my entire state of New Mexico, so Dallas seemed as good a place as any. I also have a hundred pounds to lose, but am one of the older sleevers-to-be: I'm 58. But I'm SO excited about finally taking charge of my weight! Good luck to us both!

Sissy*Kay

Thanks Sissy! Good luck to you too!

Oh goodness, I am so sorry you had issues. I, too, am a band to sleeve revision. I think you will be very pleased with your decision. I have never once regretted it. Welcome to VST and good luck!

Sent from my iPad using VST