Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey veteran sleevers.... How much can you eat? Using a regular size plate as a measuring tool?

A regular sized plate is anywhere from 9 to 15 inches so it is never a good tool for measuring. The difference between a 9" cake and a 15" cake is several different servings!

You can eat (initially) what your doctor says you can. Later (after several months) you will find out what normal is for you. Likely somewhere between 3/4 a cup and a cup and a half. Average at a year is one cup. Measured in a measuring cup mind you, not on a plate :)

And sure this question gets asked a lot...but if you don't want to answer it, don't :) Wouldn't that be nicer?

Thank you!!! ;)

Thank you!!! ;)

You are quite welcome dear. I forgot to mention...I actually do use a plate...well actually a bowl, that I have here at the house by the dozens (we bought the house with all of it's stuff LOL) and I've been measuring 1/2 a cup into it for so long that I actually can use the bowl as my guide. That's easier with a bowl because things don't spread out like on a plate.

Early on though you really want to be precise in your measurements because over doing it in the puree and soft food stages can put a strain on your new stomach (risking leaks).

Good advice!!! Taking heed! I was thinking 2-3 ozs?!?

I am able to drink lots of liquids tho. Were you able to drink liquids pretty easy? (After healing, I read ur story :( I am so grateful you are doing better)

You're a doll :) I'm almost out of the woods (two more weeks til they officially test and clear me to quit worrying about another surgery....all signs are very good so far).

Initially on puree I was on 2 oz at a time, (1/4 cup) which seems like so little but was hard to get down LOL I'm in week four now, moving to week five and am having 1/2 a cup at a time, which is plenty for me. After I'm cleared I can go up to 3/4 but that's because I'm on a weird time skew (10 weeks from the initial surgery and five from the second...for some stuff they use the first date and some the second...for this they are using the first date). Personally I'm having a hard time getting in five 1/2 cup meals a day so going up does not seem reasonable to me, but I have been thinking of doing four or three meals a day instead which might be easier once my tummy will allow it.

It's kind of funny what your tummy allows. Cottage cheese...I could eat more than i'm allowed now, but am totally satisfied with what I do eat. But denser stuff...refried Beans or meat...I have to keep those portions lower. Liquids (dense ones like cream Soup, chocolate milk, etc...stuff on your full liquid diet...yogurt...) I can have more of with no problem. Lamb did not want to be eaten for dinner tonight LOL So I had mashed potatoes with Protein powder and butter. (1/2 cup total)

Some people have talked about different portion sizes...when I was in hospital after the second surgery I was on week one diet for their sleeve and they wanted me to have 4 oz of Soups or yogurt or custard (the stuff they have for their "full liquid" diet). Prior to discovering the leak they had me on purees for a day and that was a 2 oz serving. The guy in the room next to mine was on the same day and he was having half a cup, but he was 6'7" (we walked halls together) so his sleeve was longer...bigger...than mine. So your milage may vary :)

Oh ya, and I was able to deal with liquids pretty well. Because I missed the initial healing phase where you only get tiny sips mostly. So when my second surgery was done I was able to drink as I do now...pretty much normal sized drinks but no chug a lug lug. I do often have 16 oz of milk (am right now) with oveltine to make up for any missed Protein during a day. I have no issues with that.

Wow! How far out were you before they discovered your leak? You are in my prayers... What alot to go through!!!!!

I get my 64 ozs in easily. I drink about 16ozs in 45 mins to an hr and yesterday drank a bottle of Isopure in about 30 mins. I burp long, but I dont hurt. I am nervous about eating, but excited at the same time. One gal on here gave ideas for excellent recipes on pureed. I think I will get a petrie bowl and eat from that.

Thanks for being so helpful!! :)

Wow! How far out were you before they discovered your leak? You are in my prayers... What alot to go through!!!!!

I get my 64 ozs in easily. I drink about 16ozs in 45 mins to an hr and yesterday drank a bottle of Isopure in about 30 mins. I burp long' date=' but I dont hurt. I am nervous about eating, but excited at the same time. One gal on here gave ideas for excellent recipes on pureed. I think I will get a petrie bowl and eat from that.

Thanks for being so helpful!! :)[/quote']

I was about 3 or 4 weeks out when it was discovered but it had been leaking for quite some time. They mistakenly attributed it to an internal bleed I'd had during surgery. I'd have to look at actual records to see when (that time is a bit blurry for me...I was very very ill). But fortunately the repair seems to be holding (I'll know at the end of November for sure).

You're rocking on your liquids. I still struggle to get them and the food in, which is why I am thinking of going to four meals a day. By the time I pause for a meal I'm behind it seems LOL

I was nervous to start "eating" again too. Especially after the leak. It's a bit daunting to think of all the things you have to think of when eating, but I'm getting the hang of it. This week I can eat anything but raw vegis and nuts, but frankly....I'm still a bit scared.

Six months from now we'll laugh about it :)

I eat 5-6 small meals a day about 1/4 of a cup each, that's usuallya bout 2 oz of Protein and after that I'm stuffed. I don't even bother with plates I use a bowl or saucer (sp?), our plates are too big.

A regular sized plate is anywhere from 9 to 15 inches so it is never a good tool for measuring. The difference between a 9" cake and a 15" cake is several different servings!

You can eat (initially) what your doctor says you can. Later (after several months) you will find out what normal is for you. Likely somewhere between 3/4 a cup and a cup and a half. Average at a year is one cup. Measured in a measuring cup mind you' date=' not on a plate :)

And sure this question gets asked a lot...but if you don't want to answer it, don't :) Wouldn't that be nicer?[/quote']

I wasn't trying to be rude, just letting them know if they search there's lots of immediate answers available. I'm an instant gratification personality type.