Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

Hi Jackye,

Yes, I'm listening!! I thought they would prefer longer liquid diet! Who did you talk to? Iv's ugh... catheter :-(... what else did they say that could help us?

Hi November bandsters.... So I am confused...some bandsters say they were told to be on a clear liquid diet for 2 weeks after surgery, then other liquids like cream soup.... when i talked to one of my docs reps they say clear for one week, and any othe liquid the next...then soft diet for 2 weeks. Any comments?

WOW! I have been drinking a smoothie with Protein in the mornings and on occassion at night instead of dinner and drinking Water or tea in between when I feel hungry...the result is I have lost 3 lbs!!! in one week! That is so rare! i have tried to cut back on portion sizes as much as possible, and chewing a bit more slowly... imagine what will happen when I finally get my band! :clap2: I am howver also not denying myself a few things I know I will not eat for a loooooong time....yesterday I had yummy Indian food, other little things I want to eat before surgery are...I have had a yummy big chocolate chip chubnk cookie, thai noodles, I will have a slice of tres leches cake from Whole Foods...the BEST cake I have ever had!!!!!! Anyway...I guess the cuttin down on portion size and the Protein shake has let me enjoy these few things before surgery without gaining weight!!!

225/222/150-140

Anyone going to post before pics anytime soon?

i'm ashamed to, post the before pics that is. although i have a really good one, the one that made me finally decide to have this surgery.

the answer for me regarding going to mexico:hungry: was that it is cheaper for selfpayers and dr rumbaut is more experienced.

angela where did u get the Protein Shakes? what kind? and how much$$$

thanks

I know I am ashamed of my photos also...and that is what finally...in addition to being rejected by someone I really liked, who initially seemed to like me for me, but then I guess thought it over.. :angry ....anyway seeing my Amazon pictures, :faint: made me sure I wanted the band!

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site. I don't have an actual date yet. I was supposed to have the surgery at the end of October, but I need one more thing for my insurance, and the office I have to get it from has been dragging its feet about it. Their time is up tomorrow, though.

So, unless some unexpected miracle happens, I'll be a November bander, too. WOW, that's the first time I've said something like that. I've been avoiding it, trying to keep myself from getting too excited before it was written in stone.

I look forward to sharing more with you as we travel this road together!

Chris

Congratulations Chris!!! Welcome!!!! Where will you get your surgery? Just to update you, we NOV bandsters have been posting our weight our goal, and later post a before pic. It is so awesome to have support...you will find that because we are all in the same boat, we understand exactly what each of us goes through...

The reason I have choosen to go to Dr. Ortiz in Mexico is because of his experience. He has performed over 4000 lapband surgeries. The cost of the procedure was great too considering i am self paying. If i had found an experienced surgeon in my area that has done even half that many lapband procedures i would have considered that option and paid more for local care but i believe i am making the best choice possible considering everything involved. It does take planning... i want all my followup care done by Dr. Ortiz so i will be flying back and forth to tiajuana over the next year or two. i am concerned about an emergency and finding a local doctor that knows anything about the lapband here in colorado springs. If i can wait a day or two for treatment i will definitely fly south to the boarder.

Kim

Kim,

Great! I am also going to Mexico, Dr. Rumbault. He has done 4000 plus surgeries in Monterey, Mexico and has docs here in the U.S> doing fills.

Find out if your doc has docs near your home...at least in the same state.

How many days of liquid diet do you have to do?

Hi Angela,

Dr. Ortiz wants me to lose 13 lbs before i get there....so i am suppose to start a liquid diet 7 to 10 days before surgery. i am going to start Atkins next week because i usually drop pretty fast with that diet and then i plan on switching to liquids 7 days prior. i am researching docs right now in colorado and i have a long list of names to call to see if they will do my fills if needed.

Hi Angela and Kim,

I don't know where I'm going to end up at. I've always been big, just getting back to my high school weight would make me happy. Even then, I was more then some of you are starting out now. I'm 5'6" and currently weigh 350 (my heightest weight ever, and I found this out at the surgeon's office)...If, no WHEN, I get to 230, I'll just take it from there. I haven't seen anything lower then 200lbs since I was 13. I went to a private school, that would weigh us at the beginning of the school year...I dreaded it.

Chris

Kim,

Just make sure that the Atkins you go on uses only lean proetin this time around. Skinless chicken, fish. The reason is that they want your liver to shrink before surgery so they can get to the site easily...fatty foods increase the size of the liver.. So enjoy Atkins, just this time go for lean meats only! :-)

thanks for the tip about Atkins - i will try my best... do you think eggs would be ok? - i am trying to post my post picture on here but havent figured it out yet... any tips on how to do that?

also, i too got weighed in junior high - a mortifying experience i might add... i was in 7th grade and all the girls were lined up and as we were weighed they would yell our wt to the person taking the stats.. i weighed 153 lbs and was the biggest of the them all - it was a scarring experience to say the least... what i wouldnt give to be 153 now!!