Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op Diet Vent. Perfect Dieters Need Not Respond!

Okay, so I am on day 11 of my 28 day pre op diet and (pardon my swearing) the **** is hitting the fan! Yes, I really want this, yes I know the deal with the liver, but no, I have not been perfect. I emailed one of the medical assistants at my surgeon's office who had the sleeve within the last year and all she could say was to get back on track. No admitting she herself struggled or cheated a little. I need someone who gets it! I am HURTING. I literally start hurting in my stomach and shaking. At that point, I have to grab a spoonful of Peanut Butter to calm my system down. I have 3 small children and I am home alone with them during the day. I simply can't afford to pass out! I really feel like I will. The medical community just says to stick to it but what about when this happens? Someone help please. I have lost 22 pounds already but I need to get to 35. I don't want to mess this up but I don't want to pass out either. This is sucking so bad. I just don't have anywhere to turn and I'm frustrated!!

Your one spoon full of Peanut Butter is not falling off the bandwagon. When you get shaky like you are talking about it is probably low blood sugar. suck on a piece of hard candy. What are you allowed in your pre-op diet?

It is not easy!!!!!! I feel this part of the journey is pure torture :(. But we have to go through it I guess. I was not perfect. By day six I thought for sure I was going to go insane. I allowed myself the one cheat. That was the only one. I ate a McChicken sandwich and (6) chicken nuggets with fries. I slept like a baby that night lol!!!!! the next day, I went back on my regiment like it never happened. I made a deal with myself that I would not do it again, and I did not. I also made up for it by exercising more. Just make sure you don't lose sight of the surgery, and the weight loss you need to achieve.

Thanks ya'll for your honesty! I can only have 3 Optifast shakes per day and 2 bars. Beyond that I can have plain cucumbers, one sugar free Jello, and unlimited non-carbonated sugar free drinks. Not much. Nothing that satisfies that literally PAINFUL hunger.

Okay' date=' so I am on day 11 of my 28 day pre op diet and (pardon my swearing) the **** is hitting the fan! Yes, I really want this, yes I know the deal with the liver, but no, I have not been perfect. I emailed one of the medical assistants at my surgeon's office who had the sleeve within the last year and all she could say was to get back on track. No admitting she herself struggled or cheated a little. I need someone who gets it! I am HURTING. I literally start hurting in my stomach and shaking. At that point, I have to grab a spoonful of Peanut Butter to calm my system down. I have 3 small children and I am home alone with them during the day. I simply can't afford to pass out! I really feel like I will. The medical community just says to stick to it but what about when this happens? Someone help please. I have lost 22 pounds already but I need to get to 35. I don't want to mess this up but I don't want to pass out either. This is sucking so bad. I just don't have anywhere to turn and I'm frustrated!![/quote']

I just had my sleeve done on the 3rd at Kaiser SSF and I keep reading about a 'pre-op diet'. My doctor did not have me on any diet. I was just told to have a light dinner the night before the surgery and not have any liquids after midnight. I don't understand why they make you do that? I'm sorry you have to go thru that. Hang in there, there is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel.

Sharon , I am shocked that you have to do 28 days . I thought it was nuts to have to do 14 days ,after hearing from so many people that they were only expected to to 3 days.

I was on my 10 th day of liquids before my surgery and 3 days before i was to have surgery , I got a call from my doctor's office saying that due to some insurance issues my surgery was canceled until we cleared up those issues . I was pissed off as hell , It was so hard to do the liquid diet and I was so stressed out about having to lose 20 lbs.

Sharon , I know it's hard , I use to get such headaches and I was so hungry all the time. I know it must be even harder having to take care of you small children. I don't want to give you bad advice but maybe you could add a few unsalted saltine crackers to your broth , or add 1 pack of splenda to 1/2 cup of cottage cheese or put some cottage cheese over the sugar free Jello .

I only lost 6 lbs on my 10th day ,which I was shocked since I really stuck to it. Ironically , I got a call from my doctor s office today , saying that everything was approved and all i needed was my primary doctor's clearance ...... so I will have to do this pre op diet again , lets see how this goes.

Thanks for your response newbie. I will pray for you as well. ((hugs))

I really needed to hear this today! I have been trying to lose a mandatory 5% body weight. My surgeon won't schedule surgery until I do. I've been eating 2 shakes and a little meal for dinner. Now, with 2 pounds to go and a week until my next appointment, I'm desperate to get those off and maybe a few more for wiggle room.

This has been terrible. I was just telling my husband this very evening that I'd be lying if I said I never felt like quitting. Today I have been shaky and tired. I haven't felt like this since I did a weight watchers quick start diet years ago.

So why haven't I quit yet?! I want this to darn much! I've endured 2 panic attack inducing sleep studies, a panic inducing cpap machine, sleepless nights, psych testing, doctor appointments, and plain old hunger and cravings. And don't forget years of snickers (the action and the candy) comments and shame!

I know you have probably endured quite a lot as well to get to this point! Yes, I'll say it- if I can do this, so can you. You are where they separate the women from the girls.

We can do this. We're too tough and done too much to quit at the finish line. Keep yourself upright- no passing out allowed. Keep yourself to a teaspoon of Peanut Butter or suck on candy. Keep your blood sugar up.

And know you're not alone.

the pre-op diet just plain sucks. you will get through it. any time i needed some "real" food i would just have some Protein. chicken breast, cottage cheese or piece of beef Jerky. do what you have to do to get to the next stage. you will make it!

I feel your pain. My pre-op diet was only 5 days long but I was also in the middle of my stop smoking requirement. It was, to say the least a train wreck.

What sucks even more is you do you liquid pre-op diet, then the post op one is worse. I was miserable.

But....4 and a half months later here I am, weighing 75lbs less, still smoke free, and feeling the best I can ever remember feeling. It's worth all the struggles.

You can do this!

I'm on day 10 of my pre op diet, my surgery is Friday. When I get really hungry between Protein Shakes I have a cup of low sodium chicken or beef bullion, that seems to kill my hunger for a while.

Thanks ya'll for your honesty! I can only have 3 Optifast shakes per day and 2 bars. Beyond that I can have plain cucumbers, one sugar free Jello, and unlimited non-carbonated sugar free drinks. Not much. Nothing that satisfies that literally PAINFUL hunger.

I wish I had been allowed cucumbers, Jello and sugar free drinks when I was on my pre op. I had to have 5 new direction shakes/bars for 4 weeks, the week prior to surgery I was strictly liquid. I couldn't even have a bar. It was hell. Not going to lie. By the last week when I was on straight liquid, my stomach would churn and get upset if I tried to have a piece of hard candy (it was halloween) and I even tried a piece of gum but because my stomach had been so empty for so long, it would just gurgle and churn and be completely unawesome. That last week was honestly the easiest for me because I refused to have anything not liquid (I had to remain on the liquid diet otherwise I would have had to have an enema for the surgery and I haven't had one and I'd like to keep it that for a long long time) so if I didn't feel like a shake, I just didn't eat anything. I drank a lot of Water. It definitely wasn't the best way but just like I am now after surgery I have absolutely no appetite which is actually quite a pain in the rear since I have to keep an alarm to force myself to eat/drink something.

I know that this topic is rather old but I hope my thoughts could help someone still Prep Op.

Thanks ya'll for your honesty! I can only have 3 Optifast shakes per day and 2 bars. Beyond that I can have plain cucumbers' date=' one sugar free Jello, and unlimited non-carbonated sugar free drinks. Not much. Nothing that satisfies that literally PAINFUL hunger. [/quote']

28 days is hard... I was not allowed any bars, or veggies like cucumbers (which would have been nice bc at least you can chew) but my pre op diet was 14 days... I was told that if you have to cheat, cheat with Protein... A piece of lean meat or cheese... I actually allowed myself ONE piece of bacon on the weekend... It helped me get through it and gave me something to look forward to... Hang in there! You will get through this!

I am surprised to see that alot of you were allowed cucumbers and even chicken , I just finished my 13 th day of pre -op , I never weight myself because i dont have a scale and also because I know that I have done my best and never fell off the wagon. I am kinda worried because I dont feel that I lost the 10- 20 lbs my doctor wanted me to lose, maybe 5- 7 lbs.

Tomorrow I will have my surgery at 11am. I feel so nervouse.

Okay, so I am on day 11 of my 28 day pre op diet and (pardon my swearing) the **** is hitting the fan! Yes, I really want this, yes I know the deal with the liver, but no, I have not been perfect. I emailed one of the medical assistants at my surgeon's office who had the sleeve within the last year and all she could say was to get back on track. No admitting she herself struggled or cheated a little. I need someone who gets it! I am HURTING. I literally start hurting in my stomach and shaking. At that point, I have to grab a spoonful of Peanut Butter to calm my system down. I have 3 small children and I am home alone with them during the day. I simply can't afford to pass out! I really feel like I will. The medical community just says to stick to it but what about when this happens? Someone help please. I have lost 22 pounds already but I need to get to 35. I don't want to mess this up but I don't want to pass out either. This is sucking so bad. I just don't have anywhere to turn and I'm frustrated!!

I am here with you!!! I am SO NOT perfect! I am on a 30 day pre op diet!!! IT SUCKS! I am frustrated.

It seems that I slip up easily!! The other day was the biggest..... I had a torilla, it was small 5 inches. BLAH!!! Today I had a bite of Pirate Booty, that my daughter was having and coffee!!! What gives? Isn't this like asking a cocaine addict not to use, when its sitting in the cabinet? Hard to give up food when its in the kitchen!!! Right?