Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Eating & Drinking At The Same Time?

Neilsleeve, my doc and nutritionist both said that you need to void the Water before hand because it fills you up and you will not get enough food in you to get proper nutritian. Drinking immediately after will then push the food out too soon. So, what you posted above is exactly what my medical people told me. I dont generally drink while eating unless, like you mentioned, the food is dry and needs a little liquid to help it go down, or if I am sipping a jack and diet coke. I think they dont want you downing a 20oz bottle of water while chowing on a hamburger. Sometimes in the medical profession they need to spell things out for people because, inevitably, people do dumb things. I dont think what you are doing, if kept in moderation, is hurting a thing.

Drinking immediately after will then push the food out too soon.

eazye

the above is exactly what my NUT told me pre-WLS. :)

i know "rules don't always have to be followed"

i need to be consistent with the Water rules. but thats just me :)

I couldn't eat and drink simultaneously even if I wanted to, never could. I'm almost 3 years post op and if I drink while I eat or even within an hour after eating, I get an "overly full, sick to my stomach" feeling. I drink carbonated beverages, and just take my time with it. Sometimes I feel like my food is sitting in my stomach like a rock and not moving (after a long time - I had some troubles with some kinds of food getting stuck and will never eat rice again) and my doc said to sip a carbonated beverage to help it make it's way through. It really works, because shortly after I start to feel it digesting.

P77- I've heard that too about some liquids helping move *stuck food through*

I was told pineapple juice concentrate can help break down the food that's stuck as well.

:)

Well, a not great update for me, but ok.. I had my bro's big bday bash at a fancy rest. 8pm reservations and we finished at midnight. So, I had 1.5 glasses of wine BEFORE any food. Not good on an empty and then, well, i ate well there and only cheated with one piece of whole grain bread. BUT, it became VERY bad right as main was done.. Got horrible gas and cramps and then headed to the bathroom for a half hour. felt great 30 min later or so, but def dumping sydrome and I will be careful. Still curious to hear from vets.

Yup that cramping can be your intestines trying to *digest* some food that gets by the sleeve before its broke down.

It can be painful.

But then again the spike in blood sugar can cause that as well.

Either way, its miserable.

I thought dumping only happened with bypass?

It is. I haven't heard of any sleevers having true dumping syndrome..vomiting, slimies when overeating or eating bad things. yes..but not dumping syndrome like other gastric surgeries. I am also under the impression that the not drinking is so as not to flush food thru faster therefore being able to eat larger amounts at each sitting.

Neil, for me drinking too soon after eating definitely makes a difference. I can normally chug Water. I drink a 32 oz bottle every morning before I workout, not while, before. It takes about 20 minutes. Now, after I eat and wait thirty minutes, I cannot drink 6 oz of Water. I feel like there is no room. If I forced it down, I doubt it would stretch my sleeve, but it would definitely flush out food before it's time.

If you don't think a little bit of liquid makes a difference, watch this video.

Now having said that, it does not mean you won't lose weight or be successful. But it won't help. Plus you are so freshly post op, you could eat cupcakes and still lose weight. The test will be in 6 months. If you learn and practice good habits now, by the time your honeymoon is over they will be second nature.

My advice to you and anyone else, don't trust your old eating habits and the restriction of the sleeve to get you through the rest of your life. It has worked for some people, but it won't work for everyone. And you won't know it until you see the weight coming back on, and then it will be very difficult to turn things around.

basicaly none of it is medical. That's what support groups and your Doctors team would tell you, Once you start cheating and going against the recomendations it's a slippery slope. Thats why we have people in the support groups who lost incredible amounts of weight and after a year or two it started back up, some weight more now than when they started. pizza and Beer, cake, pastries, sodas. Just a little bit or a bite or a sip and it just grows everyone thinks they can control it. How did your become overweight to begin with must have been our outstanding self control. Sorry hope this helps some people who read this post. All the rules are really only recomendations because you will do what ever you want, you dont have anyone beating you with a hammer to do it right. Thats why there are a lot of eventual failures it's not the Doctor its your mind set and will to get it right and change your life style for the better. Forget about the idea Now that I can eat BBQ and Cheeseburgers like normal people. If that's your attitude you were not ready for the surgery and you will probably fail.

It amazes me how people are always trying to beat the system . I got fat because I chose to eat the wrong food and I couldn't lose the weight. So I know that I sabotage myself in many different ways. I am choosing to follow what medical professionals tell us bc I can't afford to fail at this.

Ok, this maybe a stupid question but how is having a chunky Soup different than a small amount of Water while you are eating? Both are soft ground up foods with liquid...

basicaly none of it is medical. That's what support groups and your Doctors team would tell you' date=' Once you start cheating and going against the recomendations it's a slippery slope. Thats why we have people in the support groups who lost incredible amounts of weight and after a year or two it started back up, some weight more now than when they started. pizza and Beer, cake, pastries, sodas. Just a little bit or a bite or a sip and it just grows everyone thinks they can control it. How did your become overweight to begin with must have been our outstanding self control. Sorry hope this helps some people who read this post. All the rules are really only recomendations because you will do what ever you want, you dont have anyone beating you with a hammer to do it right. Thats why there are a lot of eventual failures it's not the Doctor its your mind set and will to get it right and change your life style for the better. Forget about the idea Now that I can eat BBQ and Cheeseburgers like normal people. If that's your attitude you were not ready for the surgery and you will probably fail.[/quote']

I am one that has liked to challenge the rules until recently. . It is a sobering thought to think I could undo this second chance. Got to remind ourselves, we are worth more than anything other than that. A 30 second orgasm may not be worth a life changing outcome. Just some late night thoughts

basicaly none of it is medical. That's what support groups and your Doctors team would tell you, Once you start cheating and going against the recomendations it's a slippery slope. Thats why we have people in the support groups who lost incredible amounts of weight and after a year or two it started back up, some weight more now than when they started. pizza and Beer, cake, pastries, sodas. Just a little bit or a bite or a sip and it just grows everyone thinks they can control it. How did your become overweight to begin with must have been our outstanding self control. Sorry hope this helps some people who read this post. All the rules are really only recomendations because you will do what ever you want, you dont have anyone beating you with a hammer to do it right. Thats why there are a lot of eventual failures it's not the Doctor its your mind set and will to get it right and change your life style for the better. Forget about the idea Now that I can eat BBQ and Cheeseburgers like normal people. If that's your attitude you were not ready for the surgery and you will probably fail.

I think people just want to know that someday they can have a little BBQ and Cheesebuger now and then, but in more normal/smaller portions... I think it's a fair question, and I think it's kind of presumptuous to think they'll fail because of it.

Besides, isn't it ridiculously difficult to stretch your stomach back out?

I think people just want to know that someday they can have a little BBQ and Cheesebuger now and then' date=' but in more normal/smaller portions... I think it's a fair question, and I think it's kind of presumptuous to think they'll fail because of it.

Besides, isn't it ridiculously difficult to stretch your stomach back out?[/quote']

Bryan, most people will eventually be able to eat anything they want. A few people develop intolerances to certain foods, but for the most part you can eat most foods, just in smaller quantities. The problem is, 6-12 months after surgery, when you've lost quite a bit of weight, your resting metabolic rate will be much lower than it is today, especially if you don't exercise vigorously and regularly. The result will be, you will always have to eat far less calories to maintain your weight than you do now....even less than a normal person. If you eat BBQ and cheeseburgers infrequently, it won't be a problem. But if those old eating habits return (which they easily can) and you go back to eating those foods regularly, you can easily put weight back on in spite of your sleeve. This is how WLS patients gain back their weight...it has. Nothing to do with stretching out the sleeve.

This is why changing your relationship with food and learning new eating habits is so important.

A friend of mine has the DS. When I started the process she and I went out to eat. She was maybe 5 months post op. At Cracker Barrel she ordered from the kids menu grilled tenders an mashed potatoes. And of course there was a glass of Water there. She drank maybe 1/2 in off the glass while eating and seemed to have no trouble with filling up quick. 2 bites of potatoes and maybe 1.5 tenders.

I would sip! As small as possible. I know it helps food slide through quicker and while you may be able to do it with no problem, it's probably a good idea to get used to not drinking with meals. When you're further along and eating more of "what you want" you don't want that to slide through too fast! Good luck!