Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portion size: The Neverending Debate

Donali,

I knew exactly what you were pointing out on the "other board". And you give such wonderful well thought advice. I go there mostly because I love Jessie A. advice and her wit. Other than that, I have been lying low from most of the boards and only stick in my two cents once in while if a topic tickles my fancy. And of course, like you, I just want to give people sound advice based on my experience.

I think you are the most positive person I know and I admire you enormously.

I think we all realize that 4oz of solid Protein is not the same mass as 4 oz of cotton candy, thus it would be possible for someone to eat 10 cup a day if cotton candy were in the cup. I too, would be understandably peeved and convinced I needed to make a point if someone insisted that everyday a good bandster only needs to eat a total of 1 1/2 cups a day of food, cause it really depends on the food!!!

And NO ONE here, I can assure you would ever think that you had anything to do with your erosion. %#$@ SH... Happens!!!

Unfortunately it happened to a kind and wonderful person.

And that sucks. And it could just as well happen to anyone of us here.

Hugs,

Babs in TX

334/214/170

6/23/03

I'm a slow loser, and sometimes I still get down on myself- but now it's more like "Were the two bites of chocolate cake worth it?" Heck yeah...I had two bites instead of pre band where I'd have two pieces and another "sliver" while putting plastic wrap on it while putting it away.

HELL, YES!!

Megan, you are DEFINITELY a woman after my own heart. This is my nomination for quote of the week!!

Michelle- You are doing great! I am impressed.

Alex- I think this is a very good issue to bring up because I am never sure how much to eat of anything. I've just kind of followed my gut feeling and comfort level.

Donali- I can't imagine you could have possibly done anything to cause your erosion. Granted I am fairly new at this but as far as I'm concerned you seemed like you knew what you were doing as far as eating. You always gave clear cut intelligent advice on dozens of subjects and I don't believe you are a person that would give advice but not follow it yourself. You had best keep your presence on this board because people like me and other newer people really need you.

Lisa- you always crack me up, so you had best not go anywhere either.

Teresa

Unfortunately it happened to a kind and wonderful person.

Babs, you're so swell. And I loved your "end the madness" post... :D You're ALL right!! Back to your corners!! :D I go there for the same reason you do - to read Jessie. I need to get a copy of her book, just to see what it says.

Megan - You have absolutely the right mindset when it comes to your bites of cake. I'm sorry you're frustrated - please don't get down on yourself. This is a lifelong journey, and it includes cake. :D

Teresa - thanks for the vote of confidence. :D

I can't leave here - I have to cheer you all on, and get help for myself to keep this weight off. Maybe even lose some more... *raises hopeful eyes upwards*

***hugs***

I agree about the "OTHER BOARD", I visited long enough to post about the possibility of starting an L.A. support group. BY the way i have received ZERO responses. BIG surprise. The feeling you get when you read the boards is just creepy. I love the warm fuzzy feeling I get here on this board. It is truly like a family and not like it is a competition which is the feeling I get there.

I dropped the membership from that board. So if someone wants to talk about a group they can just try to find me.

So if someone wants to talk about a group they can just try to find me.

I want a group meeting of lapbandtalkers! Why do we all have to be so far away from each other??? :D

I want a group meeting of lapbandtalkers! Why do we all have to be so far away from each other???

We should organize a meeting or something. Make an annual event out of it. Have the meetings in different cities each year so not everyone has to travel far.

I am game to help with the organizing. Or we could start with regional meetings first.

THoughts?

Does portion size really matter? If i'm losing my 1-3 pounds a week and not stretching my pouch or Pbing is there a problem with whatever ammount I choose to eat? Not that I am but I just don't see a problem with whatever ammount of food or food choice anyone decides on if there is no Pbing, pouch stretching and you are losing. Am I missing something here? If I am please tell me!

I agree with Donali..why cant we make our own bandster bash and all meet up somewhere for the weekend sort of like a girls weekend? We can meet in the middle so it is centrally located for everyone. Any ideas or thoughts on this? Lets all put on our thinking caps and come up with some locations. I'm willing to fly or drive to wherever just to meet you all. I love you guys!

MIchelle: I think we should all go to Vegas for a weekend of Bandsters Bash enjoyment. We could invade the chippendales show. WHOO HOO

LOLA is all for that.

Seriously though I am willing to help organize the event. I think it would be a hoot to get together and finally meet everyone. I am sure we could get a major hotel chain to give us some discounts on rooms if we get a block of them.

Think I will start a new thread about this idea.

Originally posted by La_madam

Does portion size really matter? If i'm losing my 1-3 pounds a week and not stretching my pouch or Pbing is there a problem with whatever ammount I choose to eat? Not that I am but I just don't see a problem with whatever ammount of food or food choice anyone decides on if there is no Pbing, pouch stretching and you are losing. Am I missing something here? If I am please tell me!

Michelle, this is the crux of the matter and the source of all the contention. Portion size, to people of sense, does NOT matter unless it is doing damage to your pouch. If you're not losing weight then obviously you'll want to look at your caloric intake, but if you are losing then the portion size and so on is obviously right for you.

What we object to is any insistence that a given portion size is right for everyone. It's a common refrain on other boards and in some doctors' instructions, and our point is that it just isn't as clear-cut as all that. Like any eating plan, what works for one may not work for all.

Lisa and Donali, don't waste your valuable time on that other website. It's like a "Members Only" club and they're not accepting new members. I would be terrified to post on it. They're just waiting to jump someone. Donali, we know you didn't "do" anything to damage your band. That's like saying someone that unexpectedly dropped dead from a heart attack was "asking for it" despite living a perfect life style. (Keep that bunch away from his grieving widow!) Some things we just don't have any control over.

Lisa, for what it's worth, I think they overreacted. But every board has its gestalt, its atmosphere, and it really helps to lurk a long time before posting. I think you took them a bit by surprise. :(

The RN on that board made a blanket statement that banded people can only eat 1/2 cup of food 3 times a day.

What she has said repeatedly is that they SHOULD only eat that amount. That's what throws everybody off, and deservedly so. It's ludicrous to lay down one rule for all banded people with all different goals and all different physical realities without AT LEAST the catchall qualifier "your mileage may vary."

The 1/2 cup thing may be true for people with really good restriction, and may indeed someday be true for you, too. You (and she) just don't know for sure.