Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Not Tell Family Or Friends?

*Hope this post does not offend anyone*... I am on the fence about this topic. I have only told select family members (brother, mother, husband, grandmother) and a very very select few friends. The ones who I know will give me positive support and so far except for one person the few have been positive. I will tell all my coworkers right before surgery, because I work night shift and we all eat together. They are starting to notice my change in food choices and portion sizes. I almost slipped in front of my whole shift one night at lunch and I just giggled... A few asked me was I having surgery was I ok.. And I just said with a strait face "ok... Here it is... I'm having a sex change operation. I want to have a penis just for a few days, then I'm having it reversed) everyone who knows me what a joker I am and just laughed.... I'm not ready to tell yet. It took me about 2 years to decide to have this done and my whole process from initial consult to surgery 3 months. I am 9 weeks from surgery.

I've made a solemn vow...if I EVER hear someone say this surgery is fat people's easy way out' date=' I'm going to punch them in the throat. I suggest you do the same!! :D

[/quote']

This is the hard way out... I agree!! This is life or death for some people, and just choosing to live a better life for others!

I have told family but only a few close friends.I feel it really isn't every one else's business. I know my MIL has probably told everyone she knows and that is enough people gossiping about me and naysaying . It is all about your comfort level as far as who and what to tell:)

My sister and I are getting sleeved together. We decided not to tell our family (other than our husbands) until after the surgery. Sometimes their concern comes across as negative, we've brought the subject up before and it wasn't wholly approved of. However, we are both very excited.

I was banded in June of 2010 and I only told my immediate circle which included my husband, parents, siblings and 2 best friends. I felt like a liar when people were asking me what I was doing. I was partially telling the truth because I was eating less and working out but I omitted the part about the band being the main reason for the eating less. I was sleeved in December 2012 and I am shouting it from the roof tops lol. People are starting to notice the weight loss and I am being honest and I actually feel better this time around. Honestly to each their own if you feel like telling people go ahead if not keep it to yourself.

I tell everybody and give updates on FB. I couldn't care less what people think. This is my life and I love it

I am only beginning the process and have told my sisters, my parents and my husband. Will not tell anyone else unless they ask and not until after the surgery.

I totally understand. I am in the same boat. For now only my ex-husband (yes we are friends lol) and my daughter know and a friend. Right now it's not something I want to discuss. I hate hearing "where is your will power", "that's being lazy" etc etc!! It's actually no ones business and its your decision whether you want to or not. GOOD LUCK IN WHATEVER DECISION YOU CHOOSE!!

I only told some family and 2 friends and one of them told me not to do it. So now I'm not going to tell anyone I want to take my life back. I just wish I had more sport.

I only told some family and 2 friends and one of them told me not to do it. So now I'm not going to tell anyone I want to take my life back. I just wish I had more sport.

WE TRULY UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FEEL!! I GUESS THATS WHY WE'VE ALL JOINED THIS FORUM FOR BIASED SUPPORT!! GOOD LUCK AND ALL WILL BE FINE!!

Thank u. It will work out we just need to keep our head up. And our eye on what we need to take our life back from the fat

I'm not really telling a lot of people. I have a three friends who are all big as well, and they know because they are my support system. I'll tell my parents and brothers when I am done jumping through insurance hoops and have a surgery date. That's it, right now my plan is to say nutritionist, diet and exercise. But I have a big mouth so I am not sure how long that will work. Not even sure I am going to mention having surgery. Will be taking two weeks off. I have a very physical job so I might have to get a doc note to put me on lite duty for a little while. So he might find out there was a stomach surgery. Now there may be a case by case basis after my weight is lost. For people I see struggling as well, I will tell my big secret too. :)

My question is how do you handle answering someone who asks what your doing when they ask in front if the few ppl who know. Like if people ask when I'm with my mom and I answer dr supervised diet low carb high Protein ect. Is my mom or friend that knows going to be thinking "she had surgery!! She's a liar?"

My thought is, although having surgery, the only way you will be successful IS modifying your diet and exercising, so even if you didn't mention you had surgery, telling someone you're seeing a nutritionist and doing a doctor supervised low carb, high exercise diet isn't lying!!! Not to mention, anyone I do tell (very few people) will KNOW that they're one of the 'chosen' few and wouldn't think I was being a liar, just not telling ALL of the information...since they will know my decision is on a need to know basis I'd have to think they would expect such an answer :)

I agree! Make sure the people you tell KNOW that you're not telling everyone. And a doc supervised, low carb, high Protein diet is NOT a lie. Your just leaving out the most important tool! LOL

I also am keeping this under my hat my mom of course my husband and some sibling other than that mums the word here