Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gerd Or Reflux Before Vsg?

My surgeon wants to do a Ph monitoring test. I haven't heard from his office yet today. I think they want to check for GERD or reflux since I've never actually been diagnosed I just take Zantac as needed. It's really mostly due to how I eat - if I eat healthy - I don't need the Zantac - if I drink too much Coke Zero and don't eat healthy I'll need to take one.

Anyway - now I'm a little worried because someone on this forum mentioned that some surgeons won't do the surgery if you have GERD or reflux.

Did anyone else have GERD or reflux before the surgery? I could have sworn that during the information seminar the surgeon said that the surgery usually resolves GERD because we usually have it from obesity.

I had reflux before surgery... Not as bad as it has been afterwards though...

I think they look at how much (if any) erosion has taken place due to the acid... Ask lots of questions and think positive.. everything will be fine!!!!

I had horrible GERD/Acid Reflux before surgery. I had an endoscopy a couple years before surgery and they said I had a small hiatal hernia. I was on two prilosec a day and still had acid... that should tell you how bad it was. My surgeon fixed the hiatal hernia (which he said was pretty large) at the same time he did my sleeve and I have had no issues with acid reflux since.

Thanks Gene1970 - he did find a small hiatal hernia yesterday and said he thought it could be the cause of the acid reflux. I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait to hear from his office. :)

I guarantee that it is the cause of the acid reflux. Make sure they fix it when they do your sleeve. My surgeon fixed mine for free and I think that is the case with a lot of Dr's.

I had severe reflux for years. I was taking 2 prevacids a day and still had issues. My hiatal hernia was apparently very bad once they got in there, but they fixed it. i have had no issues with reflux since my surgery. I don't even take a PPI anymore. I would do the surgery all over again just to cure my reflux issues! My doctor did warn me that some people's reflux get worse once they have the sleeve. Gastric bypass will cure reflux but I was not a candidate for it because of one of my medications. So I don't think you will not be able to do the sleeve because of the reflux/GERD but just be prepared for continued reflux issues after.

I have GERD, and I'm still getting surgery done next Tuesday! You'll be fine! Nothing to worry about! :)

My reflux is definitely worse.. it's not so bad that I regret being sleeved though... I just watch the time that I take my last bite and drink before bed, pop my ppi 2X a day.. and enjoy life!!..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches