Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Mexican Mess!!!

I found a band surgeon I am happy with in Dallas now, so no need to change anything at the moment. I was referring to the first surgeon, (other than the original band surgeon in 03 who banded me).

Yeah, I remember reading about your problems and frustration with your originial guy. I meant when you were looking for a new doctor - before you settled on the one in Dallas - did you ask Dr. Smith if he would take you on? It seems like he would be much closer.

Charlie is fine. Virginia has had some problems lately. She is seeing a neuro guy to try and figure out why she has issues with her balance. She also had to have surgery recently to remove a hot spot on her thyroid.

Hello, I promised to update everyone on what happened with my issue. Im actually writing from my hospital bed, I will be here for 6 more days. From one of the subscribers to this site, I was referred to Dr. Querry in Marshall, Tx. She was happy to get me in, and actually cultured my infection, unlike all the dr's before. The results weren't so great. Apparently it's pseudomonas. Never heard of it before, but it's a heck of an infection, and the only meds that will work, are in IV form only. So, I guess it's good news and bad news. I'm just relieved to find a doctor that is willing to spend the time and help me.

I am glad that someone is taking care of you. It's very scary and frustrating to do something for your health and then get sick doing it! Keep updating!! Shawn

You take care! There is an end of this infection in sight! Finally, you will soon be out of pain and start to feel normal again. Take it easy and heal!

Lyndsey,

I wondered how you were doing. I'm so glad you got a concerned doctor to take on your care. Your new doc sounds like an angel.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for you.

P L E A S E keep us posted, OK?

Hello, I promised to update everyone on what happened with my issue. Im actually writing from my hospital bed, I will be here for 6 more days. From one of the subscribers to this site, I was referred to Dr. Querry in Marshall, Tx. She was happy to get me in, and actually cultured my infection, unlike all the dr's before. The results weren't so great. Apparently it's pseudomonas. Never heard of it before, but it's a heck of an infection, and the only meds that will work, are in IV form only. So, I guess it's good news and bad news. I'm just relieved to find a doctor that is willing to spend the time and help me.

:notagree Thank goodness you found the right doctor to take care of you,

even if you do have to stay in 6 days, which a bummer, but at least

you'll get well. Does the Dr. also do the fill? Good Luck, Anniemay

I am Very sorry this happened to you!

I and my husband also had a Very Bad experience as well in Tj. Mexico ...I also don't believe the way we were treated by Andres Betancourt at the Moulding clinic in mexico...It was a nightmare ..They are now calling themselves Betancourt medical...Medical??? Nothing they do is profesional ...Please Beware I know of people who work as coordinators at these clinics and use this and other forums like this to bate people ..You will be told anything you want to hear to get you there ...After payment is made your records are damaged lost etc.

Please do your homework...There are Good Doctors in Mexico ...Just not this clinic....Please remember this is just a clinic...Other doctors use a hospitals in mexico..John

Lindsay, I guess it really doesn't matter, but I was wondering who your surgeon is. I went to Dr. Kuri in TJ and I loved him until I ended up with a slip. My band slipped and after days of trying to get to talk to him and overnighting x-rays he said he would try to fix it. Then he talks with the other two surgeons on his "team" and they decide not to try to fix it for me because I was at the "goal weight" that I had filled in on their paperwork. He told me that since the slip wasn't causing me any health problems that I just needed to rely on my new eating habits that I should have learned by having the band! He should know that banded people lose and maintain their weight because they are "banded". If it was just because of "eating habits" that I could control, then I wouldn't have gotten a band to begin with! As far as fills, definitely go see Dr. Fred Maese! He is in Dallas and he has an office in Ferris as well. He is the BEST!!!!!! I drive three hours from Huntsville, TX to go see him for fills. (I got a new band with Dr. Barker in Dallas this summer) DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT get your fills with Dr. Dobson who is the plastic surgeon in Grand Prairie. I went to him more than once with my first band. He likes to do the fills without using a flouro and another doctor told me that Dr. Dobson is not recommended for fills. That is just my opinion and the opinion of the doctor that told me that, but I am just telling you and you can decide on your own. Dr. Maese is way better than Dr. Kuri even was at fills in my opinion. As far as your knot, I don't know what to tell you, but you might even see about talking to Dr. Maese about that. He does alot more than just fills. He is licensed in internal medicine.

Hello Lyndsey:

I work in Tijuana with a surgeon, i'm not here to make publicity, i'm here because i refferr our patients here as a therapy.

Mexico have bad and good surgeons, here we have a lot of surgeons that are cheaper but we have a lot of professionals here, surgery it's an important issue and before we make desicion we need to research a lot of the surgeon, aks for testimonials and talk even to patients that they had banded before.

For legal issues the doctors need to have a copy of all the documents you need, like Alexandra said, call every day and they will notice that you really need thoose pappers.

Don't think that Mexico was a bad choice, Mexico it's a beautifull country with beautifull people unfortunatelly you fall with the wrong doctor, call everyday to the doctor and if you don't see response everybody here we will think in plan "b"

Hope everything turn ok

Lap-Band Police

That is what true stories are. We need to hear of problems to raise the issues that need fixing. We all make mistakes, it is how they are handled...

Hello Lyndsey:

Don't think that Mexico was a bad choice, Mexico it's a beautifull country with beautifull people unfortunatelly you fall with the wrong doctor, call everyday to the doctor and if you don't see response everybody here we will think in plan "b"

Hope everything turn ok

I do not think its particuarly fair and alot to ask to say to Lyndsey or anyone else that's had a bad experience in Mexico to " dont think that Mexico was a bad choice" its as if your asking everyone to discount their feelings. They have a right to how they feel based on the horrible experiences they have had with the surgeons they have had. I personally think its 100% normal and with in their rights to think Mexico was a bad choice , just as I would think the same if they said " I should not have gone to such and such doc in the states" . I applaud Lyndsey for telling everyone of her experience, hopefully it will save someone else the heart ache because obviously this doc is not safe.

Just my input

Mindy

Not to stir the pot for my first post, but I know for a fact this is untrue. You have to agree to go to 2 group counseling sessions before he'll do a fill, but he will certainly do fills for patients that use MExican doctors.

I know this from first hand experience.

That being said, due to other personal issues, I am seeking another local doctor to do my fills. Dr Smith rocks, he doesnt personally do all of his fills.

I absolutely LOVE Dr. Smith. He will NOT, however, treat patients banded in Mexico. The reason I mention it here is that one woman I know of broached the subject with him. He was offended and pretty vocal about it. She was very embarrassed. This is not "rumor"...I talked to Dr. Smith's nurse after it occurred and she confirmed it.

Right or wrong, Dr. Smith feels that it is an "insult" to go to Mexico for surgery (to save money) and then seek treatment from an American surgeon when problems crop up, or because it's too inconvenient to go back to Mexico for fills.

I would hate for Lindsay to have a bad experience with Dr. Smith. He really is a nice guy...this is just one of his "hot buttons".