Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On Monday, I was two months post op. I am down 50 pounds from my heaviest, 40 from day of surgery. I can't complain about the results...but it is becoming, what seems to me, increasingly difficult to eat. So here is the 'vicious cycle': I wake up and take my heartburn pill first thing (I have to take them twice a day), take a shower get dressed and then attempt to eat 2 oz of food. But I can usually stomach a bite or so. Because of this, my stomach remains empty and idk if anyone has experienced this, but when my stomach is empty (I'm not hungry, in fact I never feel like eating) it makes it harder to eat. For pre-op people think of not eating all day and then you finally do and it makes you sick to your stomach, with the accumulation of stomach acid and also nausea. And this is what starts my vicious cycle, I can't eat because my stomach is empty and I can feel all the stomach acid and it makes me sick, so therefore my stomach only gets worse, filling it up with more acid and making it harder to eat. See what I'm dealing with? It's also making it hard to get my Water in! Is there anyone with advice to help? I need to be eating, but I can't stomach it, literally!

I am no expert but maybe you need to be taking an antacid more frequently throughout the day. I am like you when my tummy is empty I feel a tad nauseous but I know I need to eat(in my case drink) I make one of my yummy shakes and take a sip and I start feeling better. Maybe have a shake in the morning to start you off, or a warm cup of Water with lemon. I know at night when my tummy is empty I get the feeling again but just go to sleep and wake up to start another day.

So try something to get your system started in the morning, shake, warm lemon water, herbal tea, or a liquid that you like. I wish you the best I hope it gets better.

Maybe you should start the day with something lighter, like a Protein Shake, until your stomach settles more. I have never been a Breakfast person, and usually don't get hungry until around 11, but I started having a Protein shake every morning and I don't feel like I'm force feeding myself. I've eaten high protein, low carb yogurt a few mornings, but I still sometimes get nauseous with the yogurt. Good luck.

Wow. I was just about to start a new thread with almost the same topic! It feels good to know I'm not alone. I wouldn't call it a "vicious cycle" in my case, just that it takes me hours to get my motor running.

I'm up at 7am most days but I can't even think of eating or drinking anything until around 10am, at the earliest. I just don't feel up to it, and the thought of drinking even Water just makes me sick. It's like it takes my stomach three hours longer to wake up than my head.

I was going to start a thread asking if anyone else had trouble getting their body into gear in the mornings ... seems I've found what I was looking for.

1st things 1st. If you have enough stomach acid that you can "feel" it and it is causing problems, you need to see your Doc. In all likelihood you PPI is eithe not strong enough or might even need a different brand.

Secondly I do agree with the others when it comes to shakes in the morning.

My newest is:

6oz-mango purée (Bolthouse or Naked)

45g-50% hemp Protein powder (Nutiva)

1.5tblsp-chia seeds

3oz-water(preferably crushed ice)

shake in a Blender Bottle, and shake periodicly