Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Month Out And Exercising

I'll be a month post-op on Tuesday, and I'm so tired of walking. I have to have variety to stay interested and I feel like I'm wasting prime "honeymoon" phase by only walking. I'm ready to get back to my pre-op routine, because I know I can get the weight off by burning 700+ calories per workout and eating so little. Having said that, my doctor said to continue walking until I'm 6 weeks post-op. It will suck so much to wait another 2 weeks. Anyone went back to heavier workouts at 1 month out? How did you feel? I'm sure there will be plenty replies to just follow my doctor's orders, and I'm a nurse, so I follow docter's orders on a daily basis. I'm just asking, lol.

I have not had surgery and my doctor told me 1 month after I could begin working out. Only walking until a month out. I am sure it will depend on how I am doing and feeling at that month mark. It is only 2 more weeks. Have you added any light weights for upper body during your walk? Maybe that would vary it up.

It will depend on your progress and what your doctor feels is appropiate for that particular stage. My doctor said to wait at least 6 weeks before rigorous exercising or weight lifting. Just to give the insision areas time to begin healing.

I'll be 12 weeks post-op on the 26th and my doctor released me in my 8th week to start exercising without limitation (except do not lift ANY weights over 3lbs until my 16th -18th post-op week.

You just have to find a medium that you and your doctor can agree on. PLUS, you don't want a set back in the post-op phase if you can help it. Hang in there, you'll get past this soon.

Hope this helps you out. :)

Honestly, I started too early and developed a hematoma that hurt like hell and was painful for 2 months inhibiting my ability to exercise for a longer period of time. If I would have waited, I may not have had the hematoma. Be careful! Always allow your body to heal first..: but you already now this! Just remember...what would you tell your patient? Give yourself the same care you would give your patient.

I walked for the first month and then begining at the one month mark I started running. I am not doing any weight lifting yet or any ab work...just walking/running. I plan on doing insanity at the two month mark....so I can work on muscle tone without actually lifting any weight...

Well, I went to the gym and did more than I was supposed to, but I felt really good during the workout. I was sore the day after, near my main incision site, so I think I learned my lesson. Back to walking, I guess.

Try not to push yourself too much too early.

Unfortunately, I think I did the opposite of this at 3 weeks out. I was feeling so good about my recovery and I was in the middle of the 1st stall.

I decided to go on a steep hike that hiking books rate as moderately hard. It had a part that was 2000 feet in 1.2 miles. The whole hike was 9 miles up and down. There were literally stairs most of the climb. Everyone was struggling, even the regulars.

I thought I came prepared and brought 2 Water bottles and powder for two Protein shakes. I ran out of Water and Protein shake at the top (4.5 miles one way).

I was already thinking about trouble as we headed down the steep trail. Still a mile from the car, my body was screaming out in dehydration and complete lack of carbs. It was so bad I did not think I would finish alive and if I did finish by some miracle I was going to drop at the ER when we return to civilization. I kept thing about where a helicopter would land if I went unconscious. It was that bad. Keep in mind that while this may sound like hyperbole, it was not. I consider myself an expert hiker and have climbed many peaks and have gone on many long treks in my life.

Fortunately we had some warm water in the car so I made it home. The temperature was 85F that day. It took me most of the following week before I recovered back to pre-hike state of feeling.

My point is to listen to your doctor and wait until the right time. Give yourself time to recover and build up the necessary strength and endurance before you decide to "go big."

I think it depends on how good you feel and what type of exercise you plan to do. I started with walking long miles the second week because I felt great. As I felt better, I started sprinting. Now at 6 weeks, I can run a full lapse on the tracks (I thought I would never be able to)I do 10lbs weights at home and I use resistance bands. I also bought a jump rope with weights. I have a Wii also and I like the step game. I try to vary it without calling myself.

I meant killing myself*

I think it depends on how good you feel and what type of exercise you plan to do. I started with walking long miles the second week because I felt great. As I felt better' date=' I started sprinting. Now at 6 weeks, I can run a full lapse on the tracks (I thought I would never be able to)I do 10lbs weights at home and I use resistance bands. I also bought a jump rope with weights. I have a Wii also and I like the step game. I try to vary it without calling myself.[/quote']

I love the step classes at my gym. There is a step game on Wii?

Yes, they're nothing like a real step class, but you feel the muscles working.

The Wii fit has the game.

I went to my fitness consult today and I am 4 weeks out. She is starting me on stretches only. 3 days a week for 10 minutes and to continue walking. She has me sitting on a ball at my desk and a few other stretches. I asked her about other exercises and she said she would reevaluate me in a month.....