Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At Ideal Weight 20 Years And Considering Sleeve

I had vertical band done in 1988, I started at 237 and in about one year reach my ideal weight of 135. For the past 3 years have had a lot of trouble eating due to scar tissue. After a recent scoping I was told I needed surgery. My plan was to just have the band removed, seemed like a simple thing to me. Well the surgeon told me reversing is next to impossible due to the amout of scar tissue and after consulting with other surgeons in the office no one willing to do reversal. His immediate plan was to convert to Gastric Bypass which floored me I currently weigh 128 and don't want to loose anymore weight, currently having trouble maintaining where I am. To my disbelief my insurance approved the surgery. At my shock he also mentione the sleeve. Im thinking this is probably closer to what I am use to. The only food I had trouble with were fresh fruits and vegtables - everythig had to be cooked. I would love to be able to eat a salad or an apple without being scared food will get stuck. Anyone been through this or have any suggestions I am 5'6" currently weigh 128 and overall very healthy and active run/walk 3-5 miles 5-7 days a week dont worry too much about what I eat but eat very little. Thanks for your input, Sandy

Your surgery was pre adjustable gastric band, right?

I converted from the labband/adjustable gastric band to the sleeve. For me the sleeve has been easy to live with - I can even eat rice which I could not with the lapband.

I guess what they are telling you is that due to scar tissue they need to do some sort of surgery? I guess my question would be is what is the size of the stomach you will be left with, and what are the risks/complications with either surgery. If they keep your stomach more or less same size as it is now - maybe that could be a good option?

This sounds pretty complex, just be sure you ahve a very experienced "revision" surgeon. Good luck to you and congrats for maintaining your weight loss for so long! What an inspiration!

You are correct my band was not adjustable. Yes this is suppose to be a big open surgery 7-10 days hospital 6 weeks at home.

We have several friends that are doctors and they say my surgeon is the best, he probably is great at what he does because he has no "bedside manner". Im just scared and he is so sure I should do the Gastric By-Pass and I am not willing to make such a life change. I feel like I deserve to live my life the way I want I worked hard to get and stay where I am.

Are you able to go out and eat? I know what foods give me problems so just stay away from them, I order wisely but what I want, but eat very small amounts which is fine with me it has become a way of life. At home I always use a saucer or dessert plate for my meals and it works great. Instead of looking at an empty plate with little drops of food my little plate is full!

I so appreciate your input I enjoy reading everyone's story and everyone is a success! Unless you have walked in our shoes you have no idea. Also congrats for your success keep up the good work you CAN get the job done and believe me I have lived my life fat and thin and thin is a lot better for many reasons, I am really leaning towards the sleeve and I meet with the surgeon again on the 20th.

I am 9 months out from my sleeve surgery - and I have no foods I cannot tolerate. I still don't like the taste of plain Water (that happened with the sleeve - weird, huh?) but I can eat in restaurants. I am more careful about spicy good as my tummy is just more delicate. Even so, I drink coffee and all. I too use small plates and when going out, I share a meal with someone.

Compared to the lapband, the sleeve has been a breeze for me - no vomiting, no "stuck" feeling and no food intolerances!

I personally find it a different experience to have a "pouch" with the band versus a smaller stomach with the sleeve. I don't get pain or discomfort, I just get that feeling of "had enough" with the sleeve. I hated having a pouch, and while I never had the gastric bypass, I feared the same kinds of issues that i had with the band.

Boy you about have me covienced! Can you eat salad and fresh fruits and vegtables - I really miss this stuff. Sounds strange for a prior fat person to say but its the truth.

Do you think I will do ok the first few weeks I am VERY picky about what I eat and liquids and Protein drinks aren't gonna do it. Do you think I will drop much weight sure don't want to loose more than 10 pounds I have spent a lot of money on plastic surgery and don't want to ruin that. You know back when I was banded they sent me home with no instructions or diet. Only home a few hours and was eating a little cup of pineapple! Sounds like things are much different today.

You have been a great help and have put many of my fears to rest I was ready to forget it until it became an emergency but now think I will schedule it. Hope I can stay in contact with you. Best Regards, Sandy

I eat salads, fresh fruits and veggies EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! I know that fruits are high sugar, but I love them so I eat them anyway.

Alot has happened in the last decade regarding post surgery eating. I have had very detailed follow up, but I picked a practice that does that since I think that is one reason I didn't do super well with the band (among other causes!)

I think you should ask the surgeon, but I had a very conservative "refeeding" program. I was on liquids and mushies longer then most becasue i was a revision and with that scar tissue, there is a higher risk of leaks - so they have you be extra careful.

Here was my timeline - every surgeon is different, but I wold be suspicious if you don't have something similiar.

Surgery day was 12/12/12

12/12-12/13 - Clear Liquids only

12/14-12/27 Protein liquids added (Protein drinks, strained Soup - no particles at all allowed)

12/28-1/3 Add pureed food (small curd cottage cheese, applesauce, refried Beans thinned with broth etc etc)

1/4-1/17 Mecanical soft, mushy food (must be soft enough you can smash with your tongue - add more Soups, well cooked veggies, groupd meants, flaked white fish, soft cheeses, etc)

1/18 restrictions lifted, but proceeded slowly on adding foods, as tolerated

I had a very low appetite for several more months, so ate pretty limited but of course I had alot of weight to lose so it worked out great!

I detest Protein Drinks - but honestly, for that first 6-8 weeks post op, I think you will really need them. Protein helps you heal and you will NOT be able to eat much those early times post op. I was quite restricted in food quantity for the first 2-3 months post op and you will likely lose too much weight if you don't find something liquid (and later soft foods) to supplement you.

i have the adjustable lapband that has slipped so i need to have it removed. i'm currently at my goal weight too and choosing to have the revision to the sleeve. i've heard too many horror stories where people have gained all their weight back after their band removal and i REFUSE to let that happen!!

like you, i have a hard time maintaining my weight and fluctuate between 120 and 130... when i should be 145. thats when i looked the healthiest. i am worried about the post-op diet that needs to be followed the 1st month after surgery. i'm guessing i'll lose 15-20 pounds which isn't going to look healthy on me but will hopefully gain it back i can start eating solid foods again.

i had my conversion from band to sleeve done at my goal weight. I lost about 8-10#, and only had trouble with liquids and Protein intake the first week. I would encourage you to proceed as you are correct- 90% gain it back when the band is removed. I didnt work hard to drink the protein as i was on the upper end of my BMI goal range and am happy with the 8-10# loss. The only thing that was preventing me from getting protein in was they are all sweet and that was nauseating to me the first 4 weeks post op. I am 6-7 weeks out and am on solid foods and doing well. I can eat band similar portions of anything I want. I am so glad I converted- - - I am not going back to fat land.