Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smetimes I Just Want To Have Dinner!

M really good through the day with all the restrictions but when dinner comes I just want to have a nice dinner without worrying about getting full in a few bites. I have had 2 dinners since being sleeved that were satisfying. One was a 3 oz lobster tail with a little bit of baked potatoe and the other was a turkey burger, cottage cheese and a slice of tomatoe w/ balsamic vinegar it was yummy! But almost every night I really struggle to figure out what to eat. I'm almost 6 weeks post op and still have some restrictions. I would like to get past this stage and just enjoy dinner. Anyone else feel the same?

Thankfully, I've gotten to the point where my mouth (my brain) is satisfied when my tummy is satisfied. For weeks I mourned enjoying the flavors of foods long enough (during a meal) to satisfy my brain. (In the beginning I don't even think I realized the distinction between my brain/tongue being satisfied, and my tummy being satisfied...I just wanted more!) Now, most of the time I just want to WANT to eat. What a switch THAT is!! LOL

I'm five days post-op so i'm craving creamy stuff even. Still doing clear liquids! But that lobster tail sounds great. I get what you're saying totally....

I'm five days post-op so i'm craving creamy stuff even. Still doing clear liquids! But that lobster tail sounds great. I get what you're saying totally....

I am 4 days post op and have had cream of mushroom Soup. It was dreamy! We only had Clear liquids in the hospital.

I am 33 days out, I think it been difficult. I eat tuna with avocado sort of like a crab tower without the greens, turkey chili with 3 Beans, crab salad, shrimp salad, egg salad, chicken salad

For dinner tonight we had hunters style pork chops with roasted carrots and mushrooms

Roasted eggplant, zuke, tomatos without seeds with a sprinkle of parm cheese

Pot roast with the roasted veg

I eat what the family eats in smaller portions. I haven't been to eat. I just make sure that I utilize my grill, broiler and cut out the oil, butter and junk.

I haven't tried this yet, I just found it.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/cookbooks.asp?cookbook=13807

Thankfully' date=' I've gotten to the point where my mouth (my brain) is satisfied when my tummy is satisfied. For weeks I mourned enjoying the flavors of foods long enough (during a meal) to satisfy my brain. (In the beginning I don't even think I realized the distinction between my brain/tongue being satisfied, and my tummy being satisfied...I just wanted more!) Now, most of the time I just want to WANT to eat. What a switch THAT is!! LOL[/quote']

Thanks for the response :)

I hear ya and I know the distinction between head hunger and eating until full body wise. I too have to "remember" to eat. It's just the dinner thing. There's so much wrapped up in the event. Time to relax, socialize w/ family, nourishment, and I would be lying if I didn't mention actually enjoying the food. I have always been able to do without every other meal but dinner is different. So it's 4 in the afternoon here in beautiful Santa Barbara and almost dinner time lol. What shall it be? I think I'll go buy another lobster tail. Hahaha

PS. The little ones I buy are only $6.

These are my go to resources. There are some great ideas that make you feel like a normal person, and it's really good food.

http://gastricsleeve4me.blogspot.com/

recipes.html" rel="external nofollow">http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/p/favorite-recipes.html

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

http://www.emilybites.com/p/recipe-index.html

If you don't try anything else, try the Emilybites cupcake meals. They are amazing.

These are my go to resources. There are some great ideas that make you feel like a normal person' date=' and it's really good food.

http://gastricsleeve4me.blogspot.com/

recipes.html" rel="external nofollow">http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/p/favorite-recipes.html

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

http://www.emilybites.com/p/recipe-index.html

If you don't try anything else, try the Emilybites cupcake meals. They are amazing.[/quote']

THANKS!!

Thanks for the response :)

I hear ya and I know the distinction between head hunger and eating until full body wise. I too have to "remember" to eat. It's just the dinner thing. There's so much wrapped up in the event. Time to relax, socialize w/ family, nourishment, and I would be lying if I didn't mention actually enjoying the food. I have always been able to do without every other meal but dinner is different. So it's 4 in the afternoon here in beautiful Santa Barbara and almost dinner time lol. What shall it be? I think I'll go buy another lobster tail. Hahaha

PS. The little ones I buy are only $6.

Actually.....what I was referring to isn't "head hunger". It was never about feeling "hungry". It was about wanting to enjoy the flavors...pure and simple. The sheer enjoyment of eating. I think my new way of feeling is much more "normal"...and certainly more healthy. :)

Does it help you if you take tiny bites and eat very slowly?? That provides the opportunity to prolong the dinner experience...even if you're only eating 1/2 cup of food for the meal. I've found that very helpful in dealing with the "I want to enjoy the taste of food longer" issue I had.

I was on full liquid for 5 weeks, so I understand what you are talking about and I'm 3 months out and sometimes three bites of my meat and I haven't even gotten a taste of my vegie yet and I'm done.

I am learning not to get myself worked up though. I was never really a "foodie" or big into food, I ate fast, I didn't think about the food, I just shoveled it my mouth, went for seconds, and I'm learning to pace myself with a bite and chew and put my fork down. I try not to tempt myself with food that's not going to actually give me Protein or nutrition. I basically quit cooking carb food, potatoes, rice etc. and my family isn't missing it. I always made a meat, a starch, a vegetable, cottage cheese, apple sauce and a dessert, now I make meat, a vegetable and I still put cottage cheese on the table.

I am learning to flavor my food more to get more mmm mmm deliciousness for each bite. Tonight, I made a small salad (which I didn't eat until I finished my meat). We grilled chicken and I made homemade Pesto with fresh basil. I ate 1/2 a piece of chicken breast with the presto on it and a few bites of my salad. It was not a lot of food that I ate, but each bite was delicious.

Sometimes you have to take temptation out of your hands. I've tried food I really wanted and watched as others scarfed and 3 bites in, I felt like it wouldn't go past my esophagus and the pain was amazing. I am learning if you think you chewed enough, you didn't, chew it some more, if you think you are eating slow enough, you aren't.

Flavor your food, take temptation out of the equation. My son and husband are both losing weight, without trying because of the way I am cooking now and the food is tasting better now. Food is now important to me, when at 330 it meant nothing to me. I scarfed, I didn't taste it and I would eat two large plates of food, without enjoying it.

There is a way to enjoy it, but it starts with the way you approach it. Use prettier and smaller dishes for yourself, use fresher spices, fresh seasonings and make sure you give yourself a small enough portion that it looks larger on your plate and learn to trick yourself into realizing it's the normal amount. Spend more time socializing during dinner and focus on the taste of the food more while you are eating and it will eventually become the new normal and you won't feel so deprived.

I know what you are going through but realizing that I someday WILL reach my goal and I will not yo-yo makes it all worth while in the end.

Early out, I enjoyed eating from the appetizer menu or eating at family style restaurants where we ordered a lot of dishes and I could have a bite of several different things.

Do remind yourself you've simply got to make it through the healing phase. You will be able to eat a more average size meal later. Yesterday for dinner I had a glass of iced tea with splenda, a slice of garlic bread, salad with blue cheese dressing, a couple of bites of loaded baked potato, and about 1 1/2 ounces each smoked chicken and ribeye steak. Now pre-op, I would have ate a lot more but this is a good sized meal that I enjoyed and I'm maintaining my weight at a fairly low BMI.

Lynda

I'm 5 weeks out tomorrow, and still in the soft foods phase (should be moving to regular foods this next week). I tried this for the first time tonight and it was AWESOME! Even my picky husband said it was awesome. And you can put whatever you like on it! We did cheese, a couple of pepperoni, spinach, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. I could only eat half of mine, and gave DH the rest.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/11/tortilla-pizza-time.html

I was on full liquid for 5 weeks' date=' so I understand what you are talking about and I'm 3 months out and sometimes three bites of my meat and I haven't even gotten a taste of my vegie yet and I'm done.

I am learning not to get myself worked up though. I was never really a "foodie" or big into food, I ate fast, I didn't think about the food, I just shoveled it my mouth, went for seconds, and I'm learning to pace myself with a bite and chew and put my fork down. I try not to tempt myself with food that's not going to actually give me Protein or nutrition. I basically quit cooking carb food, potatoes, rice etc. and my family isn't missing it. I always made a meat, a starch, a vegetable, cottage cheese, apple sauce and a dessert, now I make meat, a vegetable and I still put cottage cheese on the table.

I am learning to flavor my food more to get more mmm mmm deliciousness for each bite. Tonight, I made a small salad (which I didn't eat until I finished my meat). We grilled chicken and I made homemade Pesto with fresh basil. I ate 1/2 a piece of chicken breast with the presto on it and a few bites of my salad. It was not a lot of food that I ate, but each bite was delicious.

Sometimes you have to take temptation out of your hands. I've tried food I really wanted and watched as others scarfed and 3 bites in, I felt like it wouldn't go past my esophagus and the pain was amazing. I am learning if you think you chewed enough, you didn't, chew it some more, if you think you are eating slow enough, you aren't.

Flavor your food, take temptation out of the equation. My son and husband are both losing weight, without trying because of the way I am cooking now and the food is tasting better now. Food is now important to me, when at 330 it meant nothing to me. I scarfed, I didn't taste it and I would eat two large plates of food, without enjoying it.

There is a way to enjoy it, but it starts with the way you approach it. Use prettier and smaller dishes for yourself, use fresher spices, fresh seasonings and make sure you give yourself a small enough portion that it looks larger on your plate and learn to trick yourself into realizing it's the normal amount. Spend more time socializing during dinner and focus on the taste of the food more while you are eating and it will eventually become the new normal and you won't feel so deprived.

I know what you are going through but realizing that I someday WILL reach my goal and I will not yo-yo makes it all worth while in the end.[/quote']

Great post thanks so much for posting. Great advise!

This gets better with time. I used to feel exactly the same way. 13 months out and I feel completely satisfied. I can eat just enough-- where I dont feel deprived but I can easily maintain my weight loss still.

This gets better with time. I used to feel exactly the same way. 13 months out and I feel completely satisfied. I can eat just enough-- where I dont feel deprived but I can easily maintain my weight loss still.

I swear I'm so impatient. Thanks for the hope:)