Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Use Dr. Nusbaum In Nj?

I am not being put to sleep because I am driving. From what everyone says it is just uncomfortable. I can deal for 10 minutes.....though probably a long 10 minutes to me lol lol. I was told I can watch the procedure as well. To me that is fascinating dde03

--- I don't remember the nasal endosc. being 10 minutes .. I was fully awake and what I recall is that it was no more than 35 maybe 40 seconds in one nostril with dr N. you can call and speak to the staff to confirm the length of time ... It is quite uncomfortable and I had discomfort in my nostril & throat for the next couple days ... It didn't hurt to eat or drink tho. Make sure they numb up your nostrils real well with the nasty spray so the tube can slide down easily and be sure to hold the nurses hand for a better experience And to prevent you from the urge of pushing the docs hand away. You may have a hard time breathing during the process like me but you'll survive it

Thanks for the iPhone app info -- medxcom is a great tool. I was able to connect with Joan the PA today and she replied promptly and competently. She put me at great ease with my concerns regarding low energy & hernia pain at 16 days post op.

Question.... Can they diagnose a hernia from the endoscopy, or is it a suprise once they get in there?

Question.... Can they diagnose a hernia from the endoscopy, or is it a suprise once they get in there?

----

My understanding is that it can be possible to view in the endoscopy but mine was done 3 months prior to my surg date so not sure how visible it was at that time or if it even existed then but maybe Dr. ATK can provide us with some expertise on that...

My surgeon told my mom he was surprised to find mine during surgery cause everything looked fine during nasal endoscopy

Never had any hernia symptoms (ie: heartburn, shortness of breath, abdominal pain) prior to surgery so it's all very much a shock to me although I did read that hernias are a side effect of obesity which I do fit the bill for but I never experienced anything painful even tho I took spin classes 2-4 times a week and walked 2-3 times a week in the gym prior to my VSG... The hernia repair recovery is such a challenge for me... So much pressure and pulsing even 16 days out; I can't get in enough liquids cause it hurts my chest and I end up exhausted throughout the day. I feel like I will end up in ER again for dehydration but I reeeeeeally don't want that. I just crave energy and normal sipping with no chest pain.

I'm hopeful it will get better soon

---- My understanding is that it can be possible to view in the endoscopy but mine was done 3 months prior to my surg date so not sure how visible it was at that time or if it even existed then but maybe Dr. ATK can provide us with some expertise on that... My surgeon told my mom he was surprised to find mine during surgery cause everything looked fine during nasal endoscopy Never had any hernia symptoms (ie: heartburn, shortness of breath, abdominal pain) prior to surgery so it's all very much a shock to me although I did read that hernias are a side effect of obesity which I do fit the bill for but I never experienced anything painful even tho I took spin classes 2-4 times a week and walked 2-3 times a week in the gym prior to my VSG... The hernia repair recovery is such a challenge for me... So much pressure and pulsing even 16 days out; I can't get in enough liquids cause it hurts my chest and I end up exhausted throughout the day. I feel like I will end up in ER again for dehydration but I reeeeeeally don't want that. I just crave energy and normal sipping with no chest pain. I'm hopeful it will get better soon

I hope you feel better very soon too!

I was curious about the hernia because besides yourself, I see a ton of people on various forums and Facebook that have one fixed during their surgery.

Hello!

If a person has been suffering from heartburns, abdominal pain, nausea, etc for a while, most probably that type of hernia will be seen during endoscopy. However, if a hernia is very small and asymptomatic, it may come as a surprise during the surgery.

I never thought I have hiatal hernia and endoscopy showed nothing, but during the surgery Dr Nusbaum discovered a very small hernia and fixed it. He took few pictures and gave it to me after the surgery.

I know it's very hard to get in fluids plus Proteins but please try it. It's very important! I hope you feel much better soon!

Hello!

If a person has been suffering from heartburns, abdominal pain, nausea, etc for a while, most probably that type of hernia will be seen during endoscopy. However, if a hernia is very small and asymptomatic, it may come as a surprise during the surgery.

I never thought I have hiatal hernia and endoscopy showed nothing, but during the surgery Dr Nusbaum discovered a very small hernia and fixed it. He took few pictures and gave it to me after the surgery.

I know it's very hard to get in fluids plus Proteins but please try it. It's very important! I hope you feel much better soon!

-----

Thanks Dr. I do have pics and they kind of freak me out but at the same time glad I have some visuals. I also read that a repair doesn't guarantee the hernia won't return. A little scary to me too cause I really don't want to go through another repair and painful recovery ordeal in the future. I can't stress about that now cause my focus has to be on improving.

I'll try my best to get fluids and Protein in but it is a slow process for me and I don't seem to be feeling more relief each day ... Same level of pressure and pain.

I just feel incredibly weak and lethargic these days which is very much the opposite of how my life was pre op. A bit depressing but I know it should get better.

Thanks for the support everyone! Good luck on your WLS journey.

Hello!

-----

Thanks Dr. I do have pics and they kind of freak me out but at the same time glad I have some visuals. I also read that a repair doesn't guarantee the hernia won't return. A little scary to me too cause I really don't want to go through another repair and painful recovery ordeal in the future. I can't stress about that now cause my focus has to be on improving.

I'll try my best to get fluids and Protein in but it is a slow process for me and I don't seem to be feeling more relief each day ... Same level of pressure and pain.

I just feel incredibly weak and lethargic these days which is very much the opposite of how my life was pre op. A bit depressing but I know it should get better.

Thanks for the support everyone! Good luck on your WLS journey.

----- Thanks Dr. I do have pics and they kind of freak me out but at the same time glad I have some visuals. I also read that a repair doesn't guarantee the hernia won't return. A little scary to me too cause I really don't want to go through another repair and painful recovery ordeal in the future. I can't stress about that now cause my focus has to be on improving. I'll try my best to get fluids and Protein in but it is a slow process for me and I don't seem to be feeling more relief each day ... Same level of pressure and pain. I just feel incredibly weak and lethargic these days which is very much the opposite of how my life was pre op. A bit depressing but I know it should get better. Thanks for the support everyone! Good luck on your WLS journey.

Sandi I have an idea for you. I ordered unflavored Protein Powder from Unjury. Maybe if u had it, You could sprinkle it into your drinks so you will get your fluids and protein at the same time. Just an idea for ya ????. If you don't have it, they deliver fast.

Thanks for the suggestion, I do have plain designer whey so will try that out. It's just a very slow process of getting things in due to chest pain

I have some pain when I wake up even before drinking

Sandisleeve,

Are you taking GasX strips? It really helped me. I also was waking up from the pressure in my chest and severe pain in my left shoulder. GasX helped me a lot. I was drinking and walking. Are you taking pain meds and anti-nausea meds? For me it was easier to drink warmer fluids and eat SF Jello. I really hope you feel better soon!

Sandisleeve,

Are you taking GasX strips? It really helped me. I also was waking up from the pressure in my chest and severe pain in my left shoulder. GasX helped me a lot. I was drinking and walking. Are you taking pain meds and anti-nausea meds? For me it was easier to drink warmer fluids and eat SF Jello. I really hope you feel better soon!

---

Dr, I do have gasX strips and took a few in hospital and first couple days out but don't think it's gas pain i feel now--I really think its solely hernia pain at this point right in the middle of my chest between my breasts. Lots of pulsing and pressure. Seldomly i get a mild cramp in my sleeve area but not major. I never had pain in my shoulders the way many post Wls patients do. I've actually had more burping gas than "bottom" gas the entire time. I was on roxicet for about 6-7 days out of the hospital and that helped a lot but I didn't want to continue on with something that strong. Joan the PA suggested Tylenol for my hernia pain which I will try as soon as I get my hands on some. I only have advil around which dr N does not permit. I have anti nausea meds and I take them occasionally but doubt they do anything or if I really even need them as I'm really only slowly taking in full & clear liquids like shakes, broth, pops and Water. I blend up baby food and fage greek yogurt with vanilla shake sometimes. I take the pantoprazole joan prescribed me every day.

I despise sf Jello (the smell is rather unappetizing to me). Warm tea is good but still causes pressure. Ive actually always liked ice cold everything and in the hospital ice chips were my favorite however they do cause some discomfort.

It's a slow go for me but I will try my best to do what I have to do. I still feel so weak and lightheaded but my urine is not awfully dark so I don't fear dehydration at this point

--- Dr, I do have gasX strips and took a few in hospital and first couple days out but don't think it's gas pain i feel now--I really think its solely hernia pain at this point right in the middle of my chest between my breasts. Lots of pulsing and pressure. Seldomly i get a mild cramp in my sleeve area but not major. I never had pain in my shoulders the way many post Wls patients do. I've actually had more burping gas than "bottom" gas the entire time. I was on roxicet for about 6-7 days out of the hospital and that helped a lot but I didn't want to continue on with something that strong. Joan the PA suggested Tylenol for my hernia pain which I will try as soon as I get my hands on some. I only have advil around which dr N does not permit. I have anti nausea meds and I take them occasionally but doubt they do anything or if I really even need them as I'm really only slowly taking in full & clear liquids like shakes, broth, pops and Water. I blend up baby food and fage greek yogurt with vanilla shake sometimes. I take the pantoprazole joan prescribed me every day. I despise sf Jello (the smell is rather unappetizing to me). Warm tea is good but still causes pressure. Ive actually always liked ice cold everything and in the hospital ice chips were my favorite however they do cause some discomfort. It's a slow go for me but I will try my best to do what I have to do. I still feel so weak and lightheaded but my urine is not awfully dark so I don't fear dehydration at this point

How are you feeling Sandi?

Thanks for asking! I was battling Constipation for a good 5 days and have had some movement recently but not sure if I'm totally out of the woods

Saw dr and Carla and Joan the pa today and they have all reiterated the same things to me: I need more fluids and Protein. but its so hard with the hernia repair

I like plain Water so it's sad that I can't get enough in and that it's causing all of my fatigue and weakness and potential hair loss

Hope all is well with you!

Hi!

I also had my follow up appointment today:). I really hope you start feeling better soon. Hernia repair should stop bathering you very soon, practically every day now. What kind of Protein Shakes are you taking? I like Premier Protein shake. What else is going on with you? Please keep us posted.

Thanks for asking! I was battling Constipation for a good 5 days and have had some movement recently but not sure if I'm totally out of the woods Saw dr and Carla and Joan the pa today and they have all reiterated the same things to me: I need more fluids and Protein. but its so hard with the hernia repair I like plain Water so it's sad that I can't get enough in and that it's causing all of my fatigue and weakness and potential hair loss Hope all is well with you!

Awwww, sip sip sip is all I can say. Maybe ice chips? I can only tell you what I read on here unfortunately :(.

I saw Carla last week on the the day of the snow storm. I live up in Blairstown, so it is an hours drive. Just made it home as the snow was really hitting, thank goodness they called me in earlier! That was visit 4 of 6, so almost there!

I go for my psch eval this Thursday, and the trans nasal endoscopy next week (15th). It is all coming together.

Now if my insurance company plays nice, I am looking at a March/April surgery date.

Keep me posted! I was thinking of you a lot and had to check up on you :)