Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Count? Calories, Carbs? What Is Most Effective?\

Hello, I 'm finding it difficult to transition from full liquids to mushy foods, I was sleeved Aug 18th. So far I've tried refried Beans with cheese and instant mash potatoes . I measure everything and so far 1/4 to 1/2 cup servings. My concern is that it will stall weight loss. So far I've noticed the majority of people follow a low carb diet. So my question for the experienced sleevers is what did you find helpful in this stage? Also what did you focus on measuring calories or carbs per day once you resumed regular foods, if so what kind of range? So far Im getting in between 50 to 60 gms Protein and 64oz Water a day with the Protein Shakes . My NUT recommends nothing more than 10gms of sugar and fat in a serving of food, and with the most protein and 600 to 800 calories a day. But I thought if you track your carbs that you wouldnt necessarily have to count calories. I dont think all the lowfat foods are really that healthy. Would love your input on this.

I think the opposite....I count the calories and not the carbs. I follow two other rules, no starches and a 10 to 1 calorie to Protein grams ratio. In other words, if you eat 800 calories over the course of the day, eat 80g of protein. By doing that my carb intake has stayed moderately low without being at Atkins levels. That's what has been working for me. I know other folks have different approaches.

In the mushy stage, I did have the occasional bowl of grits...yum yum. But since I've started on full foods, I've cut them out.

So in the mushies stage I was getting my Protein from scrambled eggs and finely ground chili.

I was told to measure Protein and the rest would fall into place as long as I was staying within healthy protein sources. I do watch all these measure though on Myfitnesspal. I still focus mostly on protein though.

I use my fitness pal dot com.... you'll see it referred to as MFP. It counts it all but I focus on calories mostly (what calories I am intaking daily and what I am burning through exercise).

I can access it on my phone and the MFP appl has quite a large database of foods already existing from grocery stores OR even some restaurants. Easy peasy to keep up with! I highly recommend it!

Based on my own body chemistry, I count carbs. Carbs hate me so I have to watch out for those mofo's.

I was told to eat 60 g of Protein a day and drink about 64 oz of liquids. I strictly limit carbs, only having a slice of toast or a few crackers once or twice a week. On the soft diet I ate, scrambled or soft boiled eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, yogurt, oatmeal, which has surprisingly Protein. Also, refried Beans and chili, Wendy's chili is good and you can get a small container for about $1.50 and it's good for about 3 meals!

Good luck.