Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Excuses For Not Working Out

Well, except for allergies. Yesterday I skipped working out because my allergies were killing me.

So today I was feeling guilty because I'm still not feeling great, but better than yesterday. I managed to make it all the way until 8pm before I decided I need to work out somehow, but without leaving the house.

I just went old fashioned with 6 sets of body weight squats: 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5. http://www.acefitness.org/exerciselibrary/135/bodyweight-squat. You might be surprised at how out of breath you will get doing just simple exercises with body weight. I definitely was.

I have this rule that helps me feel guilty, but not too guilty, while keeping me on track: it is okay to skip working out for one day, but not for two. And if I do skip one day, I have to work out at least the next two days in a row.

Point is, we all make excuses for why we overeat or skip working out. And we really don't have any. It's okay to slack off and screw up some of the time, just not most of the time. Now that I did something today, I feel much better. And it only took me about 15 minutes to alleviate what would've been a few more hours of guilt before bed.

I think I made every excuse there was to make to not exercise. Too tired, too hot, too sick. Ect ect. And I will admit that I still do (did). Now I'm sleeved and I did not hesitate to take that plunge and get WLS, why do I hesitate to exercise?

Well, I felt awkward surrounded by people who don't look like they need a gym or need to exercise. Embarassed is the word. I felt embarassed to be seen. Seen, talked about, snickered, laughed at.

Damn! that felt good to get off my chest and out of my head.

NO MORE EXCUSES! I don't make alot of money and can not afford the prices of gym membership these days. My job has a athletic center that all who work on the complex can join if we want to. It's time to join.

And I won't care who sees me. You can laff, snicker, giggle, anything you want, the laffs will be mine down the line. :lol:

Thank you COsleeveDude! :P

I have gotten where I feel my day isn't complete if I don't workout. It's getting harder and harder to even take a rest day. I find myself wanting to do some small thing for at least a few minutes.

I've recently started doing the C25K and I'm getting addicted. It goes by so fast, I hardly feel like I've worked out....but I'm tired as hell. I have to hold myself back because I'll run everyday and I think I'm still too heavy to do that.

But bottom line, I'm getting addicted to the way I feel when I work out. It's better than being addicted to candy bars.

Two weeks out and I ran a mile today in 30 minutes . It was AWESOME, I haven't felt this alive in a long time . I am a full time nurse with 3 children and a husband so I have to find the time to exercise. I walk a mile everyday on my lunch break and 3 times a week I run 5 laps around my neighborhood which equal a mile . I've managed to go from 247 to 215 in two weeks and I'm VERY proud of it :))

Joining a gym at work is a good idea. I joined the gym at my workplace this week. I agree that public gyms can suck for feeling judged.

I took the opportunity to do a lot of walking starting in April before my surgery, and I did all of it outside in my neighborhood or during/after work. As the fall/winter temps and weather roll around I will probably join a regular gym so I can work out closer to my house when I feel like it.

I think I made every excuse there was to make to not exercise. Too tired, too hot, too sick. Ect ect. And I will admit that I still do (did). Now I'm sleeved and I did not hesitate to take that plunge and get WLS, why do I hesitate to exercise?

Well, I felt awkward surrounded by people who don't look like they need a gym or need to exercise. Embarassed is the word. I felt embarassed to be seen. Seen, talked about, snickered, laughed at.

Damn! that felt good to get off my chest and out of my head.

NO MORE EXCUSES! I don't make alot of money and can not afford the prices of gym membership these days. My job has a athletic center that all who work on the complex can join if we want to. It's time to join.

And I won't care who sees me. You can laff, snicker, giggle, anything you want, the laffs will be mine down the line. :lol:

Thank you COsleeveDude! :P

Running already, nice job. I started doing walk/spring/walk/jog intervals a couple of weeks ago. Basically walk, then spring, then walk, then jog (I would sprint again, but I'm too out of shape to spring more than once or twice).

Doing some running makes you feel like you're really getting in shape. Plus it makes other workouts easier, and I can walk faster.

Two weeks out and I ran a mile today in 30 minutes . It was AWESOME, I haven't felt this alive in a long time . I am a full time nurse with 3 children and a husband so I have to find the time to exercise. I walk a mile everyday on my lunch break and 3 times a week I run 5 laps around my neighborhood which equal a mile . I've managed to go from 247 to 215 in two weeks and I'm VERY proud of it :))

I have gotten where I feel my day isn't complete if I don't workout. It's getting harder and harder to even take a rest day. I find myself wanting to do some small thing for at least a few minutes.

I've recently started doing the C25K and I'm getting addicted. It goes by so fast' date=' I hardly feel like I've worked out....but I'm tired as hell. I have to hold myself back because I'll run everyday and I think I'm still too heavy to do that.

But bottom line, I'm getting addicted to the way I feel when I work out. It's better than being addicted to candy bars.[/quote']

I started off like this too! I couldve easily posted something like this myself a couple months ago.

I LOVE the app for c25k. I ended up finishing the couch to 10k. It does get addicting. I always feel so good after a run. It's good to be hesitant about running every day. The body needs a rest especially if there is excess weight. Without rest ur more prone to injuries. I've seen this happen to a lot of my running friends.

Two weeks out and I ran a mile today in 30 minutes . It was AWESOME' date=' I haven't felt this alive in a long time . I am a full time nurse with 3 children and a husband so I have to find the time to exercise. I walk a mile everyday on my lunch break and 3 times a week I run 5 laps around my neighborhood which equal a mile . I've managed to go from 247 to 215 in two weeks and I'm VERY proud of it :))[/quote']

Wow, you're running at 2 weeks out? I asked my surgeon about when I could start working out again, and he said to wait at least until after my first post-op appt, which is at the 2 week mark. Your doctor gave you the go ahead to start so soon, or did you just dive in head first? On what post-op day did you start?

I was walking 3 days after surgery my post op was one week after surgery and they cleared me to jog but no weight bearing exercise I started jogging 8/29

I was walking 3 days after surgery my post op was one week after surgery and they cleared me to jog but no weight bearing exercise I started jogging 8/29

Ok, cool. Today is day 3 for me, so I'll start getting my stroll on.

Thanks for posting this. Last night I was dreading going on a long walk with a little jogging and I thought of this post =p I got my butt up and did it!

Ok silly question. What is c25k? :ph34r:

Not silly I don't know either:)

It stands for couch to 5K, as in a 5 kilometer run. The program starts you off mostly walking with short spurts of jogging mixed in. If you download one of the many apps on your smart phone, it will tell you when to walk and when to jog. Each week you slowly increase your jogging time and decrease your walking time. By the end, you're supposed to be able to run a 5K. I have "ease into 5K". It lets me listen to my music, and the walk/jog commands come in over the top of that. You just follow the workouts. And you advance to the next workout at your own pace. If you don't feel ready to move to week 2, you can stay and repeat week 1 again....and so on.

If you don't have a smart phone, you can look up the plan online, and then just use a timer or stop watch to run and walk the intervals.