Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have two questions for the already sleeved.

1. How is going out to eat with friends after the sleeve? I have a group of friends who go out to eat every Saturday. We can sit for hours eating and drinking. That is my entertainment. I'm scared that I will no longer want to go since I can't eat or I will over eat and get sick.

2. Have you replaced your eating addiction with another addiction? I'm hoping to replace mine with exercise but I also hoped to loose weight without surgery.

Hi Cat D,

Going out to dinner with friends can be just as fun as before. Initially, you will want to stay away from drinking at all. Give yourself time to heal. If you are going out with them during the early food stages or liquid phase order Soup and ask for it to come out with everyone's meal. Once you are on real food again, you could either share off someone's plate or order an appetizer (again ask for it to come with everyone's meal) If you decide to drink alcohol (I had my first one after 11 weeks) plan to nurse it all night. Alcohol is much more rapidly absorbed by your new sleeve...you will be a very cheap date! I have found going out to dinner with friends just as enjoyable as before. It will become much more about time with your friends than it is about food. I am also very carefull to eat tiny bites, chew really well and take a lot of time between. This is a habit you should start to form anyway, but when I am out to eat I am especially mindful because I do not want to get overly full and make myself sick.

I think my only new addiction is this Forum, LOL. I wish I could say I replaced eating with exercise, but I don't think I will ever be addicted to that. :blink:

I go out with friends a couple of times a month with no problems. I either order from the kids menu or split with someone. Of course, all my friends know about the surgery, so no problems there. :)

I believe, if you are 'afraid' that you'll transfer your food addiction to something else, you are already prepared not to do it. The first step is seeing it happening to prevent it's occurrence. So give yourself some credit: good for you that you already wonder! I did the same thing and my psychologist said 'you'll be fine, you are self aware and practice honesty with yourself'. The rest honestly just falls into place.

I am still a food addict and I have to watch my behaviors. Especially in stressful situations (like job changes) and triggers or challenges like eating with friends. It feels so familiar, I can easily do less like I did before, right? For me, that's a slippery slope. So I plan ahead on menus and what I'll graze on for those hours. And I track it all. Period, no excuses. It seems to work fine. I bet you can do the same! Best of luck!

I have two questions for the already sleeved.

1. How is going out to eat with friends after the sleeve? I have a group of friends who go out to eat every Saturday. We can sit for hours eating and drinking. That is my entertainment. I'm scared that I will no longer want to go since I can't eat or I will over eat and get sick.

2. Have you replaced your eating addiction with another addiction? I'm hoping to replace mine with exercise but I also hoped to loose weight without surgery.

I think my husband was afraid that my surgery would change our life. We like our 'date nights' and of course it always includes going out to eat. I try and always know what's on the menu before we go. I'm pretty good at it now that I'm this far out, but have an idea of what you'll get. Sharing with someone is good, if not, you'll have plenty of leftovers to take home for later. I love leftovers! IF you can find a pretty healthy appitizer, that is always enough....early on, it will probably be too much!!! I still don't get hungry but love to go out because it tastes good, it's fun and the whole 'social' thing is fun!! Don't worry, other than being aware of what you are eating, and not mindlessly putting stuff in your mouth....and eating a LOT less, life will not change. Oh, I forgot, you'll be shopping for new clothes, and enjoying it!!!! Enjoy the journey, it's a fun ride!!!