Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Under 180Lbs And Getting Sleeved, Anyone Else?

I too didn't research enough about the band and that's why I research the crap outta the sleeve. Being naive want going to kill me this time.

As for reading my story just click my name and the profile and my story.. Lol.. I think ;)

I can't seem do so if on my iPhone. I have no idea why? I think I have made the decision that I want the sleeve. Just now need to convince my partner who held my hand whilst I went through all the illness with the band. I think for someone who has not struggled with their weight this seems like a crazy idea.

That's why I chose not to tell Anyone about my sleeve surgery. I don't care to hear everyone's opinions on my "not being fat enough for surgery!"

It's tough sometimes but I avoid eating with other people for the most part. I have three sisters and they were suspicious but I told them I went on a low carb diet. And since I'm a yo-yo dieter that normally loses weight right before summer they aren't thinking too much about it anymore. At least I don't think so. It has been one month today and I have lost 13.4lbs. I bounced around alot with my weight before this and took diet pills. I am sooo grateful to be off of them!

I really need to convince my boyfriend and family that this is my choice and have them support me. I have no support from them at all. I know it is because they are scared of the risks and complications that go with this surgery. Does anyone have any tips on how to approach this?

My bf was not a fan of this idea until I showed him all of the the re search and studies of success. I just kept making him read it then when I told him that I was going with or without him he took me more seriously. He didn't like the idea if me going to Mexico alone.

Where did u get the research an studies from? Every time the topic comes up he just says "no way". How are you getting on with your weight loss. I presume it is slower with a lower bmi? How are things with the food?

I started out at 171 lbs and it has been just one month. I have lost 13.4lbs in that month. I think that's pretty good. I researched this for a long time, prob like 2 years, and I researched all of the Mexico Drs but I knew a girl that went to the OCC and was sleeved by Dr Ortiz. He came very highly recommended by her so I was leaning toward him the entire time. So I went to their website and showed all the stories and reviews to him. It took awhile to even convince him to read the stories! In the end, he was impressed with the care that I got there. He didn't like that he had to use his vacation to sit around and do very little though, lol. I wasn't the kind That was able to so a lot while there. I was sick afterwards from the anesthesia. So I wasn't any fun!

I am in the UK. My start weight is the same as yours. I have watched lots of you tube videos about the surgery and people experience and obviously being on here is a massive help. I am seeing a surgeon next week to ask him some more questions. Is there anything that you would suggest I ask? X

The questions that I had were more directed towards the trip to Mexico. I had done the studies in the surgery itself but was way more worried about it being out of the country. I searched all over the US to find a comparable priced Dr but came up with none. I also had questions about the pre op diet. Because of the low BMI I didn't have to be on a pre op diet. I just couldn't gain any weight and had to have Protein Shakes and then liquids the two days before. I did end up losing a couple of lbs because of that. I was 174 until the day of surgery but like I said, I fluctuated a lot. I dropped .8 today and am now down to 156.8. I love my sleeve! I totally recommend it.

Well done u!!! You must be so pleased with that weight loss! What are the worst parts of having the sleeve for you? I hope u don't mind me asking all of these questions, it's just good to hear from someone who has one. X

I guess since I'm only one month out I haven't seen the downfalls yet. I used to crave sweets pretty much all day and evening and I don't any longer. Now I did just want a mini snickers bar and ate one. I was hoping it would make me sick so I never wanted another one but that didn't happen. That's the beauty of the sleeve, everything is ok in moderation. You can eat around your sleeve I've heard. At this point, I can't. I'm hoping I never can. I have never been sick, thrown up or had any trouble drinking. I do have to drink a bit slower when the drinks are cold but that's workable. I don't like coffee any more. I loved it before the sleeve. I don't mind the questions before mine I was in here doing the same thing!

All- I started this thread last year before surgery and haven't checked back very often. Let me update everyone. I am 5'5" was 195 pounds but lost 20 on the pre op diet. Today I am 137 pounds and very healthy and feel great! My only complication throughout the whole process was hair loss at month 4 but no matter what u do u wont avoid that. And yes I took my Vitamins and ate a ton of Protein. It's just a side effect you'll have to deal with until it grows back. And it does grow back! :)

Now comments to some of the replies here-

1. It seriously pisses me off when people call thus a vanity surgery. I was overweight for 20 years. Pre diabetic, tired all the time, and could barely look at myself in the mirror. Just because I'm not 500 pounds you call it vanity? Well news flash being overweight no matter how much is unhealthy.

2. Do your research. No one knows better than u what risks you are willing to take based on your circumstances. Understand the options, give alternatives a try, and ask around. For me this was the best option but it may not b for everyone. You still have to do the work and you still have to eat watch what you eat.

3. Take before and after pictures. I have no before pictures because I couldn't stand to look at myself. Now I live the camera! Never thought id say that!!!

4. You will go they plateaus but lose clothes sized during those times. Just stick with it and it will continue to come off.

5. Follow your doctors advice. I see people concerned with why they stopped losing and yet they are eating all the time and the wrong things. You still have to be diligent about eating the right things.

6. You will likely need cosmetic surgery to fix loose skin, baggy arms, etc. Plan for it but don't be in a rush. Let you skin shrink on its own for 18 months before you do anything. It will minimize what you need done.

7. Get a support group! I wax lucky enough to find a great group on Facebook and they are all so encouraging! It really helps.

Goodluck!

Wow so much help from you both there! I am totally with you on the "your not that big" comment. I am in the gym all the time and eat healthy foods- just too much! Obesity is a major issue in my family and I want to avoid it before I get too big and have major health problems. Because I don't have major health problems now I did not want to have the sleeve and then have health problems as a result if the sleeve. My life was miserable with the gastric band I was ill more or less 3 months post op and has it removed after 12 months because it had slipped x