Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, now I don't know what to do. Talked to my patient advocate and she said a second study may be ordered. I said at this moment I say absolutely no. There has got to be an alternative to this.

Then my husband says I may have talked myself out of being a patient. No! This is my last hope! I will not spend any more time than necessary in this body! And I was crying so hard on the way home, I peed myself and didn't know until I got home a few minutes ago.

I'm terrified I'll be dropped because of a panic attack over a stupid sleep study. I told my husband I didnt have much support before from others now he can join them. I don't need his support either. Screw everybody. Done with this crap. If I were thin and wanted new boobs, I have them. But I'm fat and the places designed to help us make us jump through hoops to just see what the fat kids will do. What's next? Eating worms? Getting pudding cups thrown at us? Whispers down the hallway?

I've had it. As soon as I had hope, it for taken away by a stupid sleep thing!

If they order another sleep study, maybe you can go to another sleep clinic or ask for another technician. Panic attacks happen, and sometimes there are no clues that they are coming, especially in people who have not had panic attacks before. It was an unfamiliar place, in a stressful setting, with someone making you even more stressed, probably on a medication you haven't had before (Not all sleep meds work for everyone, sometimes it's trouble shooting to find one that does), and amped up anxiety about not getting to have your surgery. Who in their right mind can blame you for having a panic attack? It sounds like the opposite of what they're trying to get you to do - relax and sleep!

This is not over for you, you can get through it. Maybe they can give you anti-anxiety medications prior to the next study. Maybe some deep breathing. Will they let a family member stay in the room? A white noise machine? Bringing blankets/pillows from home? I don't know what they allow since I haven't had one, but I imagine I would have trouble sleeping in a strange place too. If you do go again, I think you need to go in with the attitude that this is something you can conquer too. It is one step in your journey to your surgery. You will give up your phone, etc to give it a real go, because you can do this.

Also, maybe it would help if you would learn a little bit about why it's so important to identify sleep apnea prior to surgery. It's a concern that post-surgery (and really any time you're asleep) that you are getting enough oxygen while you sleep. This page explains a little bit about the risks that you'd be going into if you did have unmanaged sleep apnea during surgery: http://www.sleepandy...-anesthesia.htm

It may be difficult/cause you to panic if they put a CPAP mask on you post-surgery if you've never worn one before. That would be horrible/frightening/stressful, and this will help avoid that too.

You will get through this! Take some deep breaths and move on from here.

I had a really easy sleep study but it was nothing to do with insurance or if I could or couldn’t have surgery.

They put things around my torso and on my finger no mask no oxygen no sleeping pills just me and another chick on the whole ward.

I watched tv for a bit in the tv room right by out ward section then knew because I sleep crap in hospital and coz everyone knew i had it just not confirmed et I went to sleep got up a couple of times to pee in the night but did my 6 hours.

I found it a breeze.

The woman opposite me however cried for 3 hours was on the phone and missed her kids she did settle down and go to sleep not long after I turned my light off and stuff I think it was a kinda your there its nothing bad the only other person in the room is going to sleep so maybe I should too.

It sounds to me like you were fighting the whole thing sleeping pills should have had you going to sleep keeping yourself active to keep awake is just counter acting the pill.

Speaking to people working yourself up its all ways even if you didn’t mean to, to keep you from just getting on with it and sleeping.

Update:

The psychiatrist believes the sleep meds were making my anxiety worse and helped bring on the panic attack.

I'm going in for ANOTHER sleep study but with the mask this time. I stopped breathing for 30 seconds twice during the last study and apparently that means I need a mask. I'll do what I need to do to get to surgery.

This time I'm armed and very dangerous. The psych and surgeon agreed and sent me home with 4 Xanax. One to try out this past week to see how it works and how it makes me feel. The other 3 are for me to dole out over the sleep study.

I also upped the ante a bit. My hubby has a cpap machine. So tonight I had him hook me up so I can feel it. As soon as he clicked it on, I started to cry. Lots of anxiety, but hubby layed down next to me and just let me work through. He's also going to make the trip with me and stay with me until he sees I'm calm enough to be left alone.

We're leaving the boys alone for the first time. They are 14 & 15 and their grandma lives .10 of a mile away. She'll keep an eye on them. They plan to stay up all night and play video games.

But my family is so supportive of me. We are calling this a trial run for surgery.

You can do this!!! I hope the Xanax works for you!! If they don't explain anything fully to you please ask questions. If they scare you or are moving too fast for you, say something to them.

Good luck!