Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Sleeved In Mexico

I too was sleeved in TJ MX w/ Dr. Garcia on August 2, 2012. I had the most positive experience from the nurses to the doctors and everyone in between. My husband and I drove from TX and parked in an airport parking lot the day before and were picked up by Samuel who was just wonderful. The night before we had a blast wondering TJ and came across a nice new plaza that had all kinds of restaurants and a movie thearter.....we saw Batman in English w/ Spanish subtitles. Rested at the hotel, met w/ my coordinator Rosie and was picked up on 8/2 at 10:50am for surgery. Had an upper GI and Endoscopy (and received a CD for my PCP) and then around 1pm I had surgery. I had no gas pain at all (first time ever), so I did not walk b/c I was nauseaus and from previous surgeries, when I feel that way my BP is too low, so best to lay. The next day I got up and walked, showered, they changed my bandages and then slept on and off most of the day. August 4th we left the hopital and recovered at the hotel. I did not rest poolside as I enjoyed the bed way too much...slept on and off most of Saturday. I was having more drainage than I thought was normal, so I reached out to Rosey who got the doctor on the phone and told me since I was a revision (2 lap band surgeries) I would have more drainage and it should subside and it did by Sunday PM.

Our driver said we should really try to cross the border by 6am Monday, so Samuel picked us up at 5:55am and it took just one hour in the medical lane to cross (even though the wait was already at 4 hours). Then began our long drive home w/ a stop at our nephews house in Phoenix for 5 days! We just arrived home from this adventure last night. So all in all, I would go back again, probably will for some plastics and I highly recomment Dr. Garcia and Ready 4 a Change group. Everyone was great. Just an added note: my husband is Mexican and speaks fluent Spanish and English, that did help. Also, this is my 3rd surgery in Mexico. First in 2003 w/ Dr. Rodriquez in Acuna Cuidad and in 2007 w/ Dr. Rodriques in Acuna for a slippage in my band. The only reason I did not go back to Dr. Rod is because he now pracitices in Juarez and I have been told by close friends that live in El Paso not to travel there! I feel comfortable with my entire decision. My only complaint about the entire experience is some rooms in Mi Doctor Hospital offer two beds, one for you one for your partners....my room had a broken reclinder and so my husband did not have a good nights sleep until we were back at the hotel. But if that's all I have to complain about, I'll take it.

On added note....my 40th birthday was the day of my surgery and my husband's birthday was Aug 5th....so it was a great b-day present to me!!!!

PS my cab drivers name is Alejandro Medina (speaks English) or his brother Francesco Medina(no English) Went on tours with both and they are great. They are where they say their going to be at the time they say their going to be there. Its about 15-18 dollars an hour for their services but well worth it if you like to explore your surroundings.

I too was sleeved in TJ MX w/ Dr. Garcia on August 2, 2012. I had the most positive experience from the nurses to the doctors and everyone in between. My husband and I drove from TX and parked in an airport parking lot the day before and were picked up by Samuel who was just wonderful. The night before we had a blast wondering TJ and came across a nice new plaza that had all kinds of restaurants and a movie thearter.....we saw Batman in English w/ Spanish subtitles. Rested at the hotel, met w/ my coordinator Rosie and was picked up on 8/2 at 10:50am for surgery. Had an upper GI and Endoscopy (and received a CD for my PCP) and then around 1pm I had surgery. I had no gas pain at all (first time ever), so I did not walk b/c I was nauseaus and from previous surgeries, when I feel that way my BP is too low, so best to lay. The next day I got up and walked, showered, they changed my bandages and then slept on and off most of the day. August 4th we left the hopital and recovered at the hotel. I did not rest poolside as I enjoyed the bed way too much...slept on and off most of Saturday. I was having more drainage than I thought was normal, so I reached out to Rosey who got the doctor on the phone and told me since I was a revision (2 lap band surgeries) I would have more drainage and it should subside and it did by Sunday PM.

Our driver said we should really try to cross the border by 6am Monday, so Samuel picked us up at 5:55am and it took just one hour in the medical lane to cross (even though the wait was already at 4 hours). Then began our long drive home w/ a stop at our nephews house in Phoenix for 5 days! We just arrived home from this adventure last night. So all in all, I would go back again, probably will for some plastics and I highly recomment Dr. Garcia and Ready 4 a Change group. Everyone was great. Just an added note: my husband is Mexican and speaks fluent Spanish and English, that did help. Also, this is my 3rd surgery in Mexico. First in 2003 w/ Dr. Rodriquez in Acuna Cuidad and in 2007 w/ Dr. Rodriques in Acuna for a slippage in my band. The only reason I did not go back to Dr. Rod is because he now pracitices in Juarez and I have been told by close friends that live in El Paso not to travel there! I feel comfortable with my entire decision. My only complaint about the entire experience is some rooms in Mi Doctor Hospital offer two beds, one for you one for your partners....my room had a broken reclinder and so my husband did not have a good nights sleep until we were back at the hotel. But if that's all I have to complain about, I'll take it.

On added note....my 40th birthday was the day of my surgery and my husband's birthday was Aug 5th....so it was a great b-day present to me!!!!

How funny...I was sleeved on 8/3 by Dr Garcia....guess I just didnt see ya. I was up walking the halls pretty frequently and thought I had met everyone, sorry I missed you! Glad you had a great experience sounds like mine...I would love to go back!

By the way, I live in Tx also....where are you?

Misty, we did meet...in the halls as a matter of fact. My husband helped your husband expain something to the nurses in Spanish. Of course my profile pic is me at my goal. I was in room 303.

Coleen

Misty, we did meet...in the halls as a matter of fact. My husband helped your husband expain something to the nurses in Spanish. Of course my profile pic is me at my goal. I was in room 303.

Coleen

ok, yea.....I think I remember. Didnt I talk to you one time shortly after you had your first drink of apple juice and after the leak test the day after your surgery. I feel like such a dork, Im sorry!!!! My husband remembers too :-)

I cant really see your face in your pic since so small. Was this when you were at goal after the lapband?

I didnt know you were in Tx. though, we are in East Tx about 70 miles SE of Dallas.....remind me again where you are?

The picture of me is at goal using medifast since my band failed me. This pic was one year ago. I gained back so much weight.

We live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area....Keller to be exact, more of a Ft. Worth suburb.

I know my first day of surgery was a big blur to. How are you doing? I'm down about 10 pounds and am so ready for Friday to come so I can have pureed food.

Thanks for posting your experiences, you guys...Im sxd with Dr Garcia at the end of October. I feel soooooo much more confident in my decision and I was already pretty stoked on it! I seriously appreciate all the little deets...Im kind of nitpicky about certain things and I want the best (as does everyone else!!) I wish all you peeps the best in days weeks, months, years to come. Please keep us posted so we know of all the sucesses , triumphs, and awesomeness, but I want to hear of the difficulties as well, This is a huge deal, and Ive been researching for years. This is not a cure-all. This is a huge life change, and I'm sooo ready.....my best to everyone!!

Great job....I am down 11 lbs and yes ready for Sat for me! Yes, I know Keller....I lived in Ft Worth for 4 yrs and worked there for 3 while living in Midlothian! How funny, we are not REAL close but didnt realize we were so close.

I can not believe you guys DROVE.....oh my, how long was that?

im very happy that you all have shared your experiences on here. I am getting sleeve Aug.24th with Dr. Garcia and this definitely makes me feel more at ease. I cant wait! Were you guys allowed a final meal the night before surgery? I know some doctors do this.

If you consider a final meal to be The Marriott Tijuania chick broth, lol. Their chicken broth is horrible by the way.

Good question, ipinch! I was wondering the same thing...

i was allowed a "final" meal because I don't have a fatty liver (3rd weight loss surgery and I "only" need to lose about 60 lbs total). But, if you are very overweight the whole reason to be on the pre-op diet is to help the liver the the surgery is easier. My final meal wasn't even a meal...we saw Batman and I had popcorn, nachos & cheese and then some ice cream. Good luck to you and you'll be so pleased with your experience.

Ok wuz up with everyone going to Mexico for surgery? Curious becuz good Dr's are here in the states

It's a whole lot cheaper if you don't have health insurance or if health insurance won't cover it. And there are meant fine doctors there.

My final meal was the week before when I divorced food, Michelob Ultra and Diet Soda. It was a difficult day!

im very happy that you all have shared your experiences on here. I am getting sleeve Aug.24th with Dr. Garcia and this definitely makes me feel more at ease. I cant wait! Were you guys allowed a final meal the night before surgery? I know some doctors do this.

No final meal allowed, 3 last days pre-op you are on a clear liquid diet and that doesnt change until you are 2 wks post-op. But, as Sky said...they do have broth and popsicles at the hotel...only tried the broth. I ate it the night before I think because I was so hungry....but the first day we arrived back at the hotel post-op I could not even think about it. Straight broth still makes my stomach turn :(