Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

20% Regain Weight After 2 Years

I was told by the psychologist who runs a group I belong to that 20% of people regain their weight.

I believe there was an error in my interpretation of your statement due to semantic and poor reading comprehension., I am sorry. What I should have read was " I was told by a psychologist who runs a group I belong to, that 20% of people regain their weight". What I thought I read was " i was told by the psychologist who runs a group, I belong to that 20% of people regain their weight" You can see how the latter would be offensive. Sorry.

Ruh roh, NDN_RN, watch it... Dr. Jay is beloved. I see your apology... thanks for posting that as it is so easy to get lost on a thread and/or misinterpret.

Dr. Jay is (from what I know) a health behaviorist and is very good at his job. He was attempting to challenge the group's thoughts on food and in their WLS journeys. He wants us to be aware of what triggers and challenges we face so that we can overcome them, but to know that there are failures. I believe he is trying to challenge us to think this way: so what are we going to do to fight to NOT be one of them? (meaning one of the failures)

It's not an easy exercise to do, but I like that he challenges us. He really gets you to think on items that are second nature (i.e. triggers) and reactions that you may not even be aware of. I know that many addicts lie to themselves about how bad their addiciton truly is. I believe he helps even those (or maybe I should say us), which is no small feat. He's really good to us & at his job..... Just say'n! :)

Believe me, I didn't want to hear that it takes 60 to 90 minutes of cardio exercise to lose weight... I don't remember if it's daily or what a week, but I do mine now 6 days a week, usually 60+ minutes now. Eventually I hope to get to 90 mins of cardio a day, and I'd love to do it at one time, but that's pure endurance training for me. (not that it has to be done at one time, mind you)... but he's helped me be more successful by telling me that. I now am challenging my limits much more and I believe it's helped me Healthwise in pushing through my stalls, as well as give me more confidence in a way too.

Unfortunately I also curse much more (under my breath) but at least it's directed at the stair master lol! (hey nobody's perfect!) lol

I read it the wrong way as well. It happens :)

Basically you were trying to defend her from someone telling her she would fail. It was an honest mistake. :)

We are protective of each other on here and that is a good thing.

Grrrr to text though eh

What's RNY?

Thanks!

RNY= Roux en Y which is a type of Gastric Bypass the most commonly performed one.

I believe there was an error in my interpretation of your statement due to semantic and poor reading comprehension., I am sorry. What I should have read was " I was told by a psychologist who runs a group I belong to, that 20% of people regain their weight". What I thought I read was " i was told by the psychologist who runs a group, I belong to that 20% of people regain their weight" You can see how the latter would be offensive. Sorry.

I can totally see how you read it. I'm usually pretty good with my grammer, punctuation and spelling. I should have stuck a comma in between "to" and "that" as you did above and it would have been clear. I would've thought the same thing you did had a doctor told me what you originally thought he did.

Truth of the matter is I was a HUGE grazer prior to VSG. Dr. Ashmore diagnosed with me atypical binge eating. I didn't binge by eating huge amounts at one time. I used to eat a huge amount of food spread out over an entire day. Simply put, I grazed all day and the propensity to do it didn't go away because I had surgery because it is a mental thing and not a being full thing. Make sense? I'm so scared of being in that 20% that I'm involved in 2 types of groups run by the doctor and several different types peer support "groups". I'm 100% to be in that 80%. Otherwise, I wasted the 12 grand I paid for the surgery.

Take care. Best of luck to you.

Truth of the matter is I was a HUGE grazer prior to VSG. Dr. Ashmore diagnosed with me atypical binge eating. I didn't binge by eating huge amounts at one time. I used to eat a huge amount of food spread out over an entire day. Simply put, I grazed all day and the propensity to do it didn't go away because I had surgery because it is a mental thing and not a being full thing. Make sense? I'm so scared of being in that 20% that I'm involved in 2 types of groups run by the doctor and several different types peer support "groups". I'm 100% to be in that 80%. Otherwise, I wasted the 12 grand I paid for the surgery.

Back-To-Amy, I'm certain that with your level of determination you WILL succeed. It definitely sounds like you have your priorities in order, and that's the most important thing, IMO.

Take care. Best of luck to you.

Back-To-Amy' date=' I'm certain that with your level of determination you WILL succeed. It definitely sounds like you have your priorities in order, and that's the most important thing, IMO.

Take care. Best of luck to you.[/quote']

Thanks! You're sweet! You are more confident in me than I am. I thinks as more time passes where I'm successful, I will get more confident.

To each his ir her own. I believe in peer support groups. I don't necessarily want to be told off the bat I could possibly be a failure. That's just me. Good luck with that.

Actually Amy & I go to the same doctor. He was the head of Cooper (as in Aerobics) Clinic Behavior Modification program. I found his candor refreshing. He is in no way a negative or defeatist type practitioner. Just my opinion but knowing that 80% SUCCEED is what was the most hopeful. A therapist's job is not to paint a rosy picture for you, but to arm you with the tools to overcome the negative--but first you have to know them.

Actually Amy & I go to the same doctor. He was the head of Cooper (as in Aerobics) Clinic Behavior Modification program. I found his candor refreshing. He is in no way a negative or defeatist type practitioner. Just my opinion but knowing that 80% SUCCEED is what was the most hopeful. A therapist's job is not to paint a rosy picture for you' date=' but to arm you with the tools to overcome the negative--but first you have to know them.[/quote']

Sorry NDN_RN, you can see we all love Dr. Ashmore!

Sorry NDN_RN' date=' you can see we all love Dr. Ashmore![/quote']

I had misunderstood the quote. I thought she said the therapist she was one of the 20% who would likely fail. That I found offensive and defeatist. Telling someone that there is a 20% failure rate is acceptable, telling someone they will fail is not. Just a missing comma.

bmi.png

Very true. As has been quoted here before' date=' they sleeve our stomachs, not our heads.[/quote']

I need my head sleeved: lol

Hi Y'all,

I celebrated my two year anniversary in June. I have gained less than 5lbs since my lowest weight and I'm still 10 lbs below initial goal. At 5'3" I weigh about 123lbs.

All that being said, I must respectfully disagree with Scorpion (and many others who have said the same thing) that it is all up to us. When we were fat it wasn't all up to us, nor is it now, IMHO. Some of it is motivation and some is luck of the draw. Some folks' intestines regrow some after RNY and there are cases of fundus regrowth (google neofundus for more info). Most of us will regain some weight after this procedure but few of us will regain most of it. Thank God. Yes, we must remain vigilant and remember that the sleeve is a tool not a panacea, but we must also be realistic. Most of us leave this procedure with the vow that we will be one of the very few with absolutely no regain. I believe this is counterproductive because if we do gain a moderate amount, we are likely to feel like failures and can easily begin the self-defeating cycle of overeating and isolating. That's where the real trouble begins.

Hi Y'all' date='

I celebrated my two year anniversary in June. I have gained less than 5lbs since my lowest weight and I'm still 10 lbs below initial goal. At 5'3" I weigh about 123lbs.[/quote']

just curious your starting weight! We are 1 in height different. :-)

Robyn