Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone a CT bandster????

I am researching the lap band surgery in CT. Has anyone used Dr. Barba or Dr. Valin??? What was your experience like? Any good or bad about either physician or hospital they use??

Thank you.

I am a CT bandster and I used Dr. Valin. He was terrific and I highly recommend him. I know nothing about Dr. Barba, but if you go to www.obesityhelp.com and go local to CT, you can find out alot of info on all the docs who do the band in CT. I had my surgery in April of this year and it went very well with no complications. Good luck to you.

Thanks so much for responding. I find this the best site so far.

Have you had any fills yet? Does Dr. Valin do a fill every 8 weeks

or does he appear to be conservative?

Do you know if there is a charge for every fill? Thanks

Banded 7/1/03 with Dr. Newman an associate of Dr. Barba(same office). Surgery and recovery went very smooth. The practice knows the procedures and documentation needed for a speedy authorization. But you have to be patient-a very busy office!

I'm WAITING my first fill in a couple of weeks. Boy do I need it!

Only down side-8 months from initial seminar to surgery date.

Mary

HI,

I was banded 07/18/03 by Dr. Valin after a lot of research and after attending 2 other info sessions one with Dr. Barba and the other with Dr. Aranow in Middletown, and I am quite satisfied with the choice I made. Dr. Valin is affiliated with St. Ray's in New Haven, and my hospital course was uneventful. Once I decided to go with Dr. Valin it was about a 3-4 month process. His office staff is very helpful, they did all the paperwork for insurance. I would highly suggest you check with the state of CT re/the records of the doctors you are considering in regards not only to the Lap band procedure, but also what there track record is for other surgery they do (RNY, general surgery etc). As far as fills are concerned they are tailored to the individual. I would highly reccommend Dr. Valin. Good luck.

Joann

310/279.5/170

Dr. Valin 07/18/03

jOANNE,

I have had two fills with Dr. Valin. The first was at 6 weeks and the second 8 weeks after that. Supposedly I am supposed to get another fill after another 8 weeks. However, I think I am a little too full and have a call into their office about taking some out. Dr. Valin is very careful and doesn't want people to be too full. I have also lost alot of weight and I know he takes everything into consideration when determining when to do fills and how much to do. By the way, most CT docs have huge waiting lists now (for Lapband or Gastric Bypass) so be patient.

Guest cdelloro

I had my band done on 6/6/03 by Dr. Valin. The man was great. His office really knows what is going on. His wife Deb, run the office and she is wonderful. I had bronchitis days before surgery and all the antiboditics I took made my recovery a little slower than it normally would have been. As for fills, my first one is in about 2 hours so I can't make comment on that process. I will say that Dr. Valin would be my choice if I had to choose again. Good luck

Guest Vixen

I had band surgery with Dr. Valin on 7/29/03 and everything went very smoothly. I attened Dr. Aranow's seminar in Middletown but felt that he was a little to pushy about having bypass instead of the band. And on a side note, the psychologist that I saw for Dr. Valin said that last time he worked with Dr. Aranow he said that Dr. Aranow told him he didn't believe in the band. And as for Dr. Barba I never saw him but have heard that many people did not care for him. So overall I would recommend Dr. Valin. Just be warned that the waiting list is months and months.

Have a good one!

Holly