Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh Texas Heat How I Loathe Thee...

Ad my nutrition appointment last Monday, I seem to be on track eating and in weight loss for the goal I set for myself of one year weight loss (200 lbs lost in one year)... Then the NUT said to lose 200 lbs in one year I should have lost 60 lbs by three months. Well, I've lost 59.2 and we aren't even a full 7 weeks out... So I've changed my goal on a trail basis and I'm going to try for a 3 month goal of 82 lbs lost... (crazy I know, but it's worth trying)

I have the nutrition part of the sleeve down so far, now I need to add the excercise part. For the first time since I can remember I actually want to get up and go... I make sure my shoes are good, have some shorts and head out the door... Then it hits me like a Mack truck!!! Texas HEAT!!!! I think 2 minutes of this heat zaps every ounce of go out of me, I immediately feel dehydrated and can hardly move! I have a treadmill but I'm still not within the weight requirements to be on said treadmill and have a huge fear of breaking this expensive equipment that my husband does utilize!

Long story short my body is refusing to be a part of the happy people walking outside (we actually have a lot of people that run in our neighborhood- the hill we live on is apparently fun <--- stupid people!!! If that cars er brake isn't on its rolling and you call that fun??)

Any suggestions to beat this heat and get the walking in???

Leslie Sansome's Walk at Home DVD's. I LOVE them. Great work out for the beginner.

if you live by a mall with air conditioning you could walk there :)

I'm with you on this one, sister. Very early mornings are usually cool enough to walk. You've done fantastic so far, just get in what you can, stay hydrated, and be patient. Fall will be here soon enough!

Goals excellent, but PLEASE don't beat yourself up if you happen to fall shy of one. This is a life-long change, and as long as things are going the right direction that's what counts.

I'm with you on this one' date=' sister. Very early mornings are usually cool enough to walk. You've done fantastic so far, just get in what you can, stay hydrated, and be patient. Fall will be here soon enough!

Goals excellent, but PLEASE don't beat yourself up if you happen to fall shy of one. This is a life-long change, and as long as things are going the right direction that's what counts.[/quote']

It's just a trail, if I don't make it I'm not worried, knowing that I'm on my to being less 200 lbs by this time next year is crazy to me... Almost surreal...

I know what you mean! I'm 50, and honestly cannot imagine myself thin, as I have been overweight since childhood. But just because I can't imagine it, does not mean I'm not going there!

Agree with KS, early mornings are a great time to walk. But also when mosquitoes are most active! With the high number of West Nile Virus cases in DFW this summer - just be sure to spray yourself with Off, Cutter, etc. Aren't Texas summers soooo much fun?! ;)

Congrats on your success so far!!! :)

Thanks for the mosquito reminder, funkeechiggen!

Our local cable company has a channel called FIT tv and there are many channels for on demand exercises. They have everything from yoga to tai chi and also jazzersize etc... They are in 20-30 minute increments.

You can also check with your local library they will have dvd's and or tapes you can rent for free...

I got involved with Zumba and love it- you can go at your own pace and it doesnt feel like exercise- you can go to www.zumba.com and check for a class near you and as a policy your first class is always free..

Good luck-

I'm recently sleeved but had already decided the Texas Summer was not going to be my friend on the walking front! I joined a local Y and will get all walking in on the treadmill. I much prefer real walking outside but that will not be possible for several more months so will have to make due on the machines.

:wub: I hear you my fellow Texans.....born & raised in Dallas, lived in RGV for 20 yrs, and now in Amarillo...... No matter where you go its hot! lol But at least up here I have winter to look forward to!! I have major breathing issues so heat and I dont get along too well. I am doing better but still not great. In another month I want to start Zumba cuz I am a salsa loving fool and I want to start going to Water aroebics with some friends of mine. Doc doesnt want me straining my knees too much til I'm thinner. I totally agree!!!! Also I'm always freakin' thirsty and I'm afraid I'd get too dehydrated. Being 51, I'm trying to be careful. :rolleyes: Love the idea of the walking at home tapes. Thank you. Hugs!! :D

I lived in Houston my whole life----all 28 years of it--- until I moved to Canada 2 years ago because of my husband...I miss my friends and family but I don't miss the heat!!! AT ALL!

as for exercise I am all about the swimming!!! low impact, but gets my heart pumping....

btw...can you give me an idea of what you eat in a day so I can figure out where I am going wrong on my weight loss?

Ad my nutrition appointment last Monday' date=' I seem to be on track eating and in weight loss for the goal I set for myself of one year weight loss (200 lbs lost in one year)... Then the NUT said to lose 200 lbs in one year I should have lost 60 lbs by three months. Well, I've lost 59.2 and we aren't even a full 7 weeks out... So I've changed my goal on a trail basis and I'm going to try for a 3 month goal of 82 lbs lost... (crazy I know, but it's worth trying)

I have the nutrition part of the sleeve down so far, now I need to add the excercise part. For the first time since I can remember I actually want to get up and go... I make sure my shoes are good, have some shorts and head out the door... Then it hits me like a Mack truck!!! Texas HEAT!!!! I think 2 minutes of this heat zaps every ounce of go out of me, I immediately feel dehydrated and can hardly move! I have a treadmill but I'm still not within the weight requirements to be on said treadmill and have a huge fear of breaking this expensive equipment that my husband does utilize!

Long story short my body is refusing to be a part of the happy people walking outside (we actually have a lot of people that run in our neighborhood- the hill we live on is apparently fun <--- stupid people!!! If that cars er brake isn't on its rolling and you call that fun??)

Any suggestions to beat this heat and get the walking in???[/quote']

I live in Houston, so I am right there with you. Texas heat is a nightmare, even early in the morning.

I'm a mall walker. You'd be amazed how many folks walk before the stores even open.

I have learned, though, to leave my money at home. Too much window shopping, lol!

Your hill reminds me of Hell Hill that people around here think is fun. They actually do monthly runs of the hill for the whole community. I'm in North Texas and that heat kills. 9 pm last night and it was still 98 outside. It isn't much cooler early in the morning. When it's hot like this I toss on my swim suit or some shorts and a shirt and go walk in the pool. They are all about 4 ft deep and always cold. The other thing I do is this dance game my nieces bought me for the Wii, they have a dance til you sweat thing. I don't know what good it does, but it's fun :). I know that once mid-Sept hits I can go back to walking and not feel like I'm going to melt.