Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A1C Level To High For Surgery

Msinzee2010,

Are you seeing a dietitian?

I don't know where you are having your procedure done and if they gave you a meal plan. I am going thru Kaiser and they gave us a package and in it there was a 1200 calorie meal plan that is what I followed.

I agree with Morticia you can do it. Look at as changing your lifestyle now instead of waiting for the surgery. That is what has kept me sane.

Yes I got different meal ideas I just spoke to her and they are checking my levels again in September it was to high in July so they told me to wait 2 months and they will check again I'm going to need to do something these 6 months have not been easy I'm going to get the levels down. Thanks again for the encouragement ladies

Yes I got different meal ideas I just spoke to her and they are checking my levels again in September it was to high in July so they told me to wait 2 months and they will check again I'm going to need to do something these 6 months have not been easy I'm going to get the levels down. Thanks again for the encouragement ladies

Yes you have time to lower it. Follow the meal plan. If you are able to do exercise do at least 30. min.

I am , well was not one to go to the gym I was so intimidated of everyone judging me. When I had trouble with the medication I thought to myself...The heck with anyone judging me. I will do it for me. I really in the bottom of my heart think that helped a lot. I started with going 1 hour 5 to 6 times a week. I would do the elliptical at my own pace. If you can't find time for the gym maybe just walk around the block.

Thanks again for the encouragement I'm going to get these levels down and have this surgery. Have you had your surgery yet?

Well wish me luck, found out I will have to have my A1c checked again at the pre op class on the first of Aug.. Had it down to 7.1 in June. My sister came out for a visit and I wasn't always eating right(my own fault). Did not know it had to be tested again so here's hoping all the chicken and veggies has helped me maintain that 7.1, otherwise maybe surgery gets rescheduled. I hate it that I can't seem to keep my control over food like I should at all times. That's way I'm here. We can do this

Praying now that everything works out for you keep me posted and I will do the same what is your surgery date again.

Surgery is scheduled for Aug. 14th need to be at hospital at 6:15 am, surgery at 9:15. When do you think you will be hearing about a date for yourself.

Well I have to wait until September to check my A1C again so I'm guessing somewhere around late September or October I got everything done I started this journey in March it was supposed to be 6 months bu its turning into 8 months I'm just trying to keep my levels under contol

all we can do is stay the couse and try not to fall off the wagon. I know in the end everything always turns out the way it was meant to be. We need to stay in contact with each other. U can email me anytime you feel u need to talk.

Well I have to wait until September to check my A1C again so I'm guessing somewhere around late September or October I got everything done I started this journey in March it was supposed to be 6 months bu its turning into 8 months I'm just trying to keep my levels under contol

Hang in there. The truth is your recovery will be easier with a lower A1C. I'd rather wait a little longer and have an easier recovery that get it quicker and have a greater risk for infection and heal slowly.

Thanks again for the encouragement I'm going to get these levels down and have this surgery. Have you had your surgery yet?

No I haven't had the surgery yet. I had to get a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. I got it yesterday and see the surgeon on the 17th. of August.

I would sit down and have a heart to heart with the surgeon. My A1C was 8.8 in January and I had surgery in April. In June it was 5.8. See how long you have to wait. An A1C can be checked sooner than 3 months, that is just the average time they like to wait.

While waiting for the retest. Walk, walk, walk. Try to take a minimum of 10,000 steps a day (get a pedometer). the exercise will really help your sugar control and if you can't walk, try getting into a swimming pool and swim, or even just walk in the Water. It is great exercise and less impact on your joints if that is an issue. Water aerobics classes are also wonderful. Any activity you add now will also help you post surgery.

You will do this and it will be wonderful. Before surgery I was on Humalog 40 units with every meal and 60 units of Lantus at bedtime and Byetta 10 mcg 2 x day plus metformin and glyburide. Now, NOTHING!!!!

Isabelgma that's great you are on nothing now I can't wait until I'm off these meds. I'm going to work out the best way I can walking is the best for me. Thanks again everyone for the encouragement

Your right I need to exercise more. I can come up with many excuses not to. I am forunate to having a pool so I do swim. I agree about the healing aspect of it. It's so great to hear how so many have been able to go off all medication. Grateful to have new friends to share feelings with.Thank all of you, it makes the road easier.

Finally went in today to get my A1C level checked again I will get my results next week hopefully my numbers are low enough so I can join the loser bench soon