Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Last 10 Pounds And What I Must Do...

Most of you guys know me well on these boards. I have been struggling the last few months, only losing 3 pounds a month or so. Since mid June--- hardly anything, just fluctuating up and down a pound. I am so frustrated. I made an appt with the NUT. I went on mfp and although lately the data is more limited than before, I gathered all the data I could. Seems I am able to eat more now and do. My exercise sort of fell off as well. I was concentrating on the amount of calories I was taking in but I also wrote down the average carbs and Protein a day. I printed out my diet for the last 6 months for us to go over. I was losing really well when my carbs and calories were lower, I noticed right away.

I told the nut that I wanted to reach my goal of 135 pounds by my surgiversary and she said it was totally doable! I was shocked! That's 12 pounds according to her. How can I do that when I have only been losing 3 pounds a month! I will tell you how she said I could do it. My carbs must be 20-30 and no more! She said try to get as much protein as possible in even all the way up to 120 grams and no more than 30 carbs but aim for 20. She would prefer 0 carbs but its not realistic, she says. lol. So she gave me a list of Protein shakes that have very low carbs. I finally found one I could drink mixed with juice and now I cant have the juice! DAMMMIT! She gave me a premier shake from costco and I am going to try that in the morning and if its good, I will get a membership and go buy it. It only has one gram of carbs. My eating habits have to change because I was averaging 90 grams of carbs in the last month.

My life is a mess, husband unemployed, child really sick with a stomach infection, blah blah blah. I am a stress and emotional eater. I am also a very determined person. If I set my mind to this, I will do it. I am skeptical of whether or not it will work, but what have I got to lose except 12 pounds????? I am a cookie addict and I love milk. I also love chips and stuff like that too. I was letting that creep back in a little bit and it caused my carbs to be higher... not that I am just pigging out but having the occasional. I was having two whole wheat ritz with my cheese and even that has to go. If anyone has any suggestions on snack type food that I might could substitute some of my cheese and crackers or Peanut Butter and vanilla wafers with, I am all ears. I dont like greek yogurt at all and I am pretty picky so that makes it hard for me to find things to snack on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again! Tammi

I'm not a huge yogurt person either nor does fruit really entice me when I really want a snack so when I just have to I try to snack with Protein, I do one slice of whole wheat or Rye Toast with 1 teaspoon of Skippys 25% fat Peanut Butter and it really hits the spot and at only about 125 calories and it fills me, I usually don't eat the who slice so the calories are less. I also use Skim Plus Milk, its creamier and way more tastier than regular skim milk but same calories and 11 grms of protein per cup and so good really cold.

Forensikchic, nice to see you again. I know I haven't had my surgery yet, but I read your posts as they come. It sounds like you are taking the correct steps and actions to figure out why your loss has slowed. Sounds like your nutritionist is putting you back on track, and IT REALLY sounds like you know exactly what has to be done.

I admire your courage, and I do believe you will succeed in reaching your goal weight before your surgiversary. I want to wish you the best of luck, and know I am rooting for you. You can do this!!

Keep us updated when you can, I hope things get better for your husband, and hope your child gets over being sick. Keep your head held high, focus, and lean on your supporters when needed.

One of my friends suggested dipping your cheese in Salsa. It's like eating a nacho without the nacho (and without the carbs)

I just checked my carbs and they are CRAZY high compared to what your nutritionist said we should be consuming. I have fallen into the pop chip, rice cake, 90 calorie brownie trap. Here is what I notice. If I ACTUALLY sit down and eat a meal, for instance my turkey burger (no bun) with mini babybel melted on it for lunch, I was very full by the time I finished it. Yesterday I had cottage cheese with a little fruit and snacked like a mad woman. Today, right now, I don't feel like eating everything in sight. I am interested to see what comments you get on this subject. I need to go back to making those Snacks a treat and not an everyday thing, I know that. If I can't get away from them then I'm going to have to ramp up my exercise even more!

Good luck to you though! Oh and I'm still jealous of those bikini pics. ;)

Hey Tammi:

I use lettuce leaves instead of tortillas or bread all the time and use cucumber slices instead of crackers or chips--I stole the cucumber idea from Eggface's site; my favorite thing to eat like that is hummus or bean dip that I make in the food processor so I know what's in there and can control the oil content. My husband and I eat lettuce wraps all the time--tons of veggies and some Protein in there, whatever sounds good, and wrap it up like a burrito and chow down. LOW CARB and veggie, so Fiber and nutrients. Win-win.

Raw veggies seem to fill us up FAST--we keep cut up fruit and veggies in the fridge, ready to go. I eat at least one Tomato a day--around here that's a pleasure, since nothing beats a home-grown Creole tomato, IMHO. Squash, zucchini, cucumber, etc. are all easy to find at the farmer's market, and I'm a total spinach-aholic. We use organic produce if we're eating it raw.

I have found that a smoothie in the morning that has spinach (yes, it turns the smoothie green, but you can't taste it!), berries, almond milk, fat-free Greek yogurt (I hate it too, but it hides well in a smoothie), some sugar-free Torani Syrup, and a couple of ice cubes will take me through the morning with no hunger at all, and it's pretty low cal--the carbs are from fruit and the almond milk (unsweetened), so they aren't the type that spike blood sugar.

Anyway, good luck!! We're all rooting for you!!

Wow, how did you find a low-carb-advocating nutritionist?!? Mine told me I needed 100 grams of carbs a day, minimum, for brain function, and I just smiled and nodded, and vowed never to go back. That many carbs a day sends me into total binge mode, and my sweet tooth takes over.

For Snacks, I eat cheese, or a small handful of almonds (you can get all sorts of yummy flavors - cinnamon, parmesan-herb, etc.), or roasted seaweed (satisfies the salty cravings), veggies and hummus, or half of a low-carb Protein Bar (I like the Quest bars - they taste great, are high in Protein, and average 2-4 grams of non-fiber carbs (so, they may have 20 grams of carbs, but it's almost all Fiber. You can go that route if you're counting net grams.)

I also sometimes make cheese "crisps" in the microwave, or pepperoni crisps.

Watch the milk, those carbs can add up fast. I switched to almond milk early on to get my carb count down. It's just as good in Protein Shakes. (I make a protein hot cocoa with it every morning). I also order a powdered pudding mix from DietDirect that will actually gel into pudding with almond milk (SF Jello pudding won't), which is great for my sweet tooth.

Now that it's summer I'm also loving protein mocha frappuccino / soft serve. I mix a scoop of Click mocha protein, 1/2 cup almond milk, and ice, and blend the heck out of it in my ninja. Depending on the milk / ice balance it comes out either thin like a frappuccino or thick almost like soft serve ice cream. Gets me through the afternoon! Click Protein Powder is a bit higher in carbs, but you could probably achieve the same effect with a lower-carb chocolate protein or the Premier ready-to-drink from costco with some instant coffee / Starbucks Via blended in.

You can do this!!

Wow, how did you find a low-carb-advocating nutritionist?!? Mine told me I needed 100 grams of carbs a day, minimum, for brain function, and I just smiled and nodded, and vowed never to go back. That many carbs a day sends me into total binge mode, and my sweet tooth takes over.

For Snacks, I eat cheese, or a small handful of almonds (you can get all sorts of yummy flavors - cinnamon, parmesan-herb, etc.), or roasted seaweed (satisfies the salty cravings), veggies and hummus, or half of a low-carb Protein bar (I like the Quest bars - they taste great, are high in Protein, and average 2-4 grams of non-fiber carbs (so, they may have 20 grams of carbs, but it's almost all fiber. You can go that route if you're counting net grams.)

I also sometimes make cheese "crisps" in the microwave, or pepperoni crisps.

Watch the milk, those carbs can add up fast. I switched to almond milk early on to get my carb count down. It's just as good in protein shakes. (I make a protein hot cocoa with it every morning). I also order a powdered pudding mix from DietDirect that will actually gel into pudding with almond milk (SF Jello pudding won't), which is great for my sweet tooth.

Now that it's summer I'm also loving protein mocha frappuccino / soft serve. I mix a scoop of Click mocha protein, 1/2 cup almond milk, and ice, and blend the heck out of it in my ninja. Depending on the milk / ice balance it comes out either thin like a frappuccino or thick almost like soft serve ice cream. Gets me through the afternoon! Click protein powder is a bit higher in carbs, but you could probably achieve the same effect with a lower-carb chocolate protein or the Premier ready-to-drink from costco with some instant coffee / Starbucks Via blended in.

You can do this!!

I love hummus so I will check the carbs on that for sure.. how do you make cheese crisps?

I wonder if the cheese crisps are this:

Take one of those american cheese slices (the kind that are individually wrapped.) Cut it into 16 pieces. Place on parchment paper. Microwave for 1 minute.

sounds like that would make a big runny mess? I guess I could try it and see what happens.

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese can be made into cheese crisps. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, you may need to spray it with cooking spray too, and put one tablespoon of the cheese per crisp on the baking sheet (like cookies) and bake at 350 degrees until golden brown. Let cool and eat.

Ugh! I forgot to add that you should flatten out the mound of cheese otherwise it won't "crisp".

I will have to try that!

Pork rinds are my go to snack when I am craving something crunchy!

Califlower also makes a good "rice or pasta" substitute.... Take the florets (5 lg ones or 7-8 small ones) and grate them til u get little "rice pellets" , i stop at the stems, then nook them in the microwave with salt , pepper, a touch of olive oil and garlic powder, and 3 tbs Water. nook for 2 minutes, mix well and nook again 2-3 min until tender, really yummy and u Can make it taste like anything u would like.