Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Islanders?

Hey Everyone:

Wow Candle, you are certainly an inspiration to us all! I can only hope I do as well as you!

Amy: By pre-op diet, are you talking about what you can do now for the next 6 months? I don't think you have your date yet, right? I have to honestly say that I did not follow a darn thing for that 6 months prior- which was probably a mistake. It is good that you are thinking about that stuff now. Just try to chew chew chew....because that's what you do when you have your band in. Dr. Geiss and Powers office suggests Medifast for a structured kind of program. You replace meals with it. I bought quite a bit of it for the liquid phase of the pre-op diet. BUT, I only consumed very little of it because I really did not like it. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Have a great weekend all....

oh and btw, I just hit my 30 pound loss today! yay.......

Banded: 9/2/2008

Dr. Powers

30 lbs. gone forever!

Thanks

Congrats on the 30lbs!!!

I agree about the Medifast - not only did I find it totally gross but it's pretty pricey!

I used unjury. It seems to be pretty popular - you can only order it online. They have samples too so you can try it before spending a bunch of money.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the responses on whether or not you feel your band or port. I keep thinking about the foreign object that's going to be in my body and its a strange thought, ya know? Wasn't sure if you felt it or if you were aware of it, but you guys made me feel better about it...so thank you! I've read other posts regarding pain with ports and how sore it is in the beginning, so I am expecting that will be the case. But its true, everyone is different and what might bother some might not bother others....I'm hoping to join the latter!

Shrinkinmom: When I spoke with Liz, the first available date she had for surgery was the 20th or the 21st. I originally asked for the 21st but after speaking with my hubby, realized the 20th was better...so I called her back and she changed it to the 20th. So, if you were expecting a call from her around the same time as me (she called me on Thursday), then maybe you will get the 21st. I actually wanted a date for the last week of October because hubby was on vacation....but they were already booked. I will definitely see you at the meeting next Tuesday....but I won't be with Steven, he has to work OT that day....so I'll be by myself. I'll look for you! Good luck with getting your date!!!

Candle: 128lbs:thumbup:WOW!!! What an inspiration you are! How long did that take you? How has your journey with the band been? Many struggles or has it been pretty smooth sailing? Congrats on such an awesome loss...you give me such hope!!!

susancarole: I cannot believe you hit 30lbs already:thumbs_up:...OMG!!!! It's only been a little over a month since you've been banded....that is just incredible! I can't wait to be down 30lbs!!! Congrats and keep up the awesome work:w00t:!!!

What a miserable day it is today....its pouring rain by me....my daughter has a soccer game today....I'm wondering if its going to be canceled???

Keep up the great work everyone! And have a great day!

Hi Everyone!!!

Susancarole: Hi Sue! I can't wait to hear what it's like with saline...but it sounds like you are doing fine just the way you are. Tennis is greyt! I used to play a lot years ago...maybe after surgery I will be able to get back to it. I always loved the sport! I never thought about the port but it's a good question. Where is it placed...above the belly button or to the side? Can you hit it if you bump into something? And...30 pounds already!!! That is amazing! Congrats!

Cappy: Congratulations on your date! It will be here before you know it. I think Sue's suggestion about telling everyone at Thanksgiving that you are on a temporary liquid diet per the nutritionist is a greyt idea. And...look...it turned into a sunny rest of the day today. Crazy weather!

Amy: How is it going?

Candle: I don't know if Dr. Geiss uses the Realize Band. What is the difference between the 2? Is one better than the other?

Shrinkinmom: I'm sorry we won't be hospital buddies...but your date will be here soon also. It would have been nice, though.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Can we all plan to meet at the December meeting? I think we will all be finished with our surgeries then and it would be nice to get together. What do you all think?

By the way, my name is Lisa. I don't think I mentioned it before.

Hi Lcubed and all!

I had my surgery with Dr. Geiss on July 2, 2008 and they are wonderful there. All went great....thank God! As for the question if Dr. Geiss uses the Realize band, yes he does. I heard that he only knows that day of surgery and when he looks inside of you, he knows what band is best for your own body structure. I've heard from many threads on this website that the Realize and Lapband are comparable....just a slightly different structure but they both will give a person the same results. Good luck to you on your upcoming surgery and to all on their weight loss journey!

Lisa :tt2:

Hi Lisa!

I forgot to reply about Sue's Thanksgiving suggestion...thanks for reminding me!

Yes, I think your idea was perfect, Sue! I will tell everyone that I went to a nutritionist, she put me on a liquid diet for a couple of weeks and then on to a more strict, low calorie diet. They'll buy it. Thanks so much!

It did turn out to be nice today....and go figure, my daughter's soccer game was still canceled!

I would love to meet you guys in December. Can you refresh my memory, are the support meetings available to us all the time? We can go to every meeting if we like? I'm sure they told me, but I don't remember.

Have a good night, guys....have to go put the kiddies to sleep!

Candle: 128lbs:thumbup:WOW!!! What an inspiration you are! How long did that take you? How has your journey with the band been? Many struggles or has it been pretty smooth sailing? Congrats on such an awesome loss...you give me such hope!!!

My journey has been very uneventful. Luckily, I haven't struggled much at all either.

I hit my goal, to lose 120lbs, in about 10 months and I've been losing about 2lbs per month since then.

Candle: I don't know if Dr. Geiss uses the Realize Band. What is the difference between the 2? Is one better than the other?

I don't think one is better than the other - just made by different companies, with a few slight design differences. For example, I think the Realize port is a little smaller.

Hi Everyone,

Wow, lots to read this morning:

I am so glad you like my suggestion about the nutritionist, Cappy, it worked for me when I told all my tennis "buddies."

And, I think the fact that Candle got to her target weight with a 120 lb weight loss in 10 months is just amazing! And wtg on still losing weight. I can only hope that I do as well as you.

Lcubed, LISA the port is above the belly button and over to the left side. Everyone that I talked to has it on their left side (using these doctors anyway....) Yes, I think you could probably hit into it if something is sticking out and you run into it...but...I have not done that at all. My port really does not bother me. Sometimes when I lie down on my left side, it can bother me a bit, but the pain subsides rather quickly.

Also, I think meeting at the December meeting is a great idea!

(I will be at the October meeting as well, if you all want to go and see what it is about)

I will let you all know how my "fill" goes when I go to my next appointment on October 20.

I agree with Slim2be about the different bands that are placed inside. These doctors make their mind up when they actually have you in surgery! You will all hear that at the education meeting with June.

Hi to everyone else too....have a great week.

SUE

Good morning everyone!

I've been reading in the above postings that you are planning on meeting sometime in Dec.? Please let me know where and when in Dec...I'd love to meet all of you! Thanks, and hope you all have a great day with a little bit less of you to show the world!

Lisa :redface:

Hi Everyone!

Slimtobe: Your doing so great on your weight loss...congrats!!! Your another inspiration for all of us here, I cannot wait to be the one to say I've lost 45lbs! I too would love to meet everyone....let us know when you all plan that!

Shrinkinmom: I hope your still making the meeting tonight! Since my hubby can't make it, my Aunt will be coming along for the ride! I wanted another set of ears there with me, in case I space out and forget something...LOL! I'm wearing a black sweater, green satin top and black pants. See you later!

Have a great day everyone!

Hi Everyone!

Slim2be: You are doing greyt! Yes it will be so good to meet everyone in person in December. I am looking forward to it!

Cappy: When are you going to the educational meeting? I am scheduled for Oct. 21 at 2:45. Maybe you can go then also. I hope so. By the way, I know you are trying to put the Notorious Novembers into your signature. Copy the BB Code from whatever graphics site you are using into the signature box. That should work. If not, let me know and I will help you.

Candle: Keep up the good work!

Susancarole: Hope all is well with you! Which band do you have? Thanks for the info about both bands...I'm sure I will hear more about it when I go to the educational meeting.

Shrinkinmom: Which educational meeting are you going to?

I hope everyone is doing well! The days are flying by...my surgery date will be here soon!!!

Lisa

Candle no he uses the regular band not the realize. I asked he when I went in on 8/29th He said he feels comfortable using the regualr band. I said then use the one that you like. I also did go out 2 weeks after but I had 2 scallops which are very soft and some Soup . I havent changed my scale but I'm down 25-Elisa

HI Everyone--

So my file finally went to Liz today. I have been trying since last WEdnesday to get the Cardio Doc to write the letter of clearance that Dr. Geiss actually wanted. It turns out there was some miss communication between both offices. I was really stuck between two very strong personalities at both offices. I really wanted to give it to both of them but I followed the old bees with honey mantra.

Lcubed - Do they give youa choice about the educational meeting? If they do the time you are going is perfect for me.

Cappy -- it was so great to meet you last night. I feel like I know you my whole life. I didn't realize how effective that guy was until I thought about that excersize all day today. I can't wait for us to meet everyone else. Please KIT.

Susancarole - you are doing so well. What is the best part about your knew lifestyle? Inspire us!!

Slim2be - I would love for you to join us in Dec. I think the more of us that support each other the more successful we will all be.

I am not telling anyone about the surgery expect my husband and mother. I know I will need someone to talk to and bounce ideas off of.

Candle - All I can say is WOW!!!:)

Elisa - you should be proud of yourself that you are 25 lbs down. I think that is a huge accomplishment. At this point I would cut off my left boob to lose 25lbs -- --- ok really my left arm.

Have great night everyone. I am hoping my next post is a surgery date.:eek:

Chris

Hi All:

shrinkinmom: It was so great meeting you last night! When I saw all those people in that room I thought, how the hell am I going to find her? Thank god you were the only one wearing a dress...LOL! Your so very sweet and so easy to talk to...I hope we all have a chance to meet in the near future!

shrinkinmom and I met at a meeting last night with Dr. Geiss's group...they had a few speakers and this one guy, who was banded in June and has already lost 48lbs, got up there to speak about his experience with the band...he had us do this motivational exercise where we all stood up, closed our eyes and made us imagine ourselves at our current weight...he asked us to look in the mirror, what do you see? then he asked us to imagine ourselves 5 years from now, where will you be then? How much more weight have you gained? How do you feel at this weight? He went on and on and made us get "real" about how we will look AND feel if we don't do something about our weight. He went as high as 15 years down the road, where will you be? Imagine you can't move, imagine all your joints hurting you and you can't do anything because your so obese...your on all kinds of medicine, you have diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. Let me tell you, I was literally crying, imagining where I would be 15 years from now, heavier than I am now....I felt both sad and disgusted...then, after a little while of this he asked us to imagine us at the weight we want to be at. How do you feel at this weight? What are some of the things that you couldn't do in the past but can do now? How do you feel when you look in the mirror? And so on. I know you all can't possibly grasp how powerful this exercise was through this post, but let me just tell you, it totally moved me...it helped me to get real with myself...what a great meeting! Not sure if this person will be speaking at any future meetings, but he should!!

So, I get a letter in the mail today from Dr. Geiss's office regarding my surgery date and when I have to go to their office and they wrote down the WRONG date! They have me in for surgery on the 21st, which was my original choice but then changed my mind to the 20th. I was told I had this date, not a problem. I have to call tomorrow and straighten this out! I hope it was only an error on paper!

Lcubed: I'm not positive, because I don't have my calendar in front of me, but I am scheduled for the educational meeting and it MIGHT be on the same day as you. Is the 21st the last Tuesday of the month? I'm pretty sure that's when I'm going. I'll double check and let you know fpr sure. It would be so great to meet you, I hope its the same day! And thank you for trying to help me with the signature...someone on one of the other boards helped me! I appreciate you trying to help!

Well, good night all! Time for me to go relax and watch some T.V. Talk to you all soon!