Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery During Your Period?

So I'm scheduled to be sleeved on Friday. And judging by the signs my body is giving me, it looks like I'm going to be on my period during the surgery. Yuck! I'm really freaked out about this. I'm sleeving in Mexico so the plane tickets are bought and the procedure is all paid for already and can't be refunded so rescheduling is not an option. What do I do?

I had the same situation and it wasn't an issue at all. I too was worried! My doctor didn't use a catheter, which did make things easier. Don't worry regardless, I'm sure this comes up all the time.

I was on mine I was not happy the nurses were nice about it from ks.

They will give you some sort of disposable underwear to wear. Don't worry, just tell them prior. It will not hinder you having surgery.

Okay, I feel a little better. Def freaks me out a bit. lol

mine came while undressing in the pre-op room!!! nurse told me it was not unusual:)

yeah same here I think all the nerves brought it down, good thing was I got to keep my underwear on, they were just pulled down past my tummy, bad thing is, just being on your period, it sucks the last thing you want to do is change a tampon or pad just after having surgery

I had mine. I was just given the disposable mesh underwear like when I had a baby & a pad for them. I did have a catheter, so it was kinda a pain to deal with, but it was okay.

OH NO!!!!! :o Just got mine and surgery is on Wednesday! :angry:

I got my period the day before my surgery sept 25 i freaked and called the dr thinking they would cancel. Apparently one has nothing to do with the other so NO WORRIES good luck

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Yes, please don't worry. My cousin is getting her sleeve on Oct 16th and expects aunt flo that day! Nurses told her to not freak out, they will provide the big hospital ob pads with mesh dispos. panties. I work in a hospital and we get that alot! Believe me, it's not that unusual :)

I got mine 2 days prior. The nurse asked anyway about my period when I checked in. I wore disposable underwear and a pad. Do not use a tampon under and circumstances. Last thing you want is for it to be forgotten.

Mine started about an hour and a half before surgery, and it was a doozie. The disposable underwear is great. I had thought it might be possible, so brought some overnight protection level maxi pads. I didn't bring tampons because I was not sure how well I would be able to handle them after surgery. It isn't a big deal at all. When I was being admitted and the nurse was doing my paperwork she asked when my last period took place, I said "now."