Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

O U C H... Sympathy please!

Lisa! I am so sorry you had to go through that! Sounds horrible. I am glad they found what it was and treated it though.

sending hugs your way,

tellie

Wow, I'm worn out just reading your posts! Please do whatever is necessary to get well. That might mean a Detour in your Lapband functions. But you don't want any infection left untreated. You know that you can lose weight. Look how great you've already done on your own! Pleae take care of yourself and try to get some rest. Stress can make you physically sick. You WILL get back on track, you just hit a pothole in the road.

Finally, it is about time. I have been so busy today didn't even get a chance to look at the post.

Girl, girl, girl I don't know what to say. I am just so glad that something is finally going to be done.

Love your impersonation of Lopez, look at you making us all laugh.

You are going to need a emotional rest from all of this. The worry and stress of it all. And look at you, what a great soul.

I am so sorry I wasn't here for you today, but you were in my thoughts.

It will all be fine now that they are going to do something. Sooo soorrryy that you have to go through another surgery, but they must do what they need to do.

You can't walk around with all those aliens in you. LOL Gotta getem out.

Take care, talk to you soon.

No response yet on my emails I sent to Carmen and Ann Marie.

Imagine that!!!

(((((((Hugs & Hugs & more hugs)))))) , Kathy

hey lisa,

((((((hugs)))))))) how are you doing today? i cant believe the problems you have been having with dr lopez. he probably doesnt realize he is about to have all the members on lapbanddtalk hunting his ass down!!!! :D:( :(

i dont really know what i can say to offer you comfort but you are in my thoughts and i am sending healing vibes your way!!!!

michelle

Thanks, Shel. Hubby gave me 1/2 Lortab last night so I slept the sleep of The Gods, although I had a dream about my father-in-law's penis, which I don't have time to deal with now but will need future therapy. Heebie Jeebie! The sleep helped my emotional wellbeing tremendously.

I'm armed with Lortab just in case but doing okay without for now. The pain is probably just bruised from all the mashing the Urgent Care docs did, but it's pinching and stinging because of the open wound. The tube goes away when I lay down so the wound tries to heal, but when I get up, it pops out again. I posted gross pics in another post this morn.

Lisa: I just sent you an email. I also have to leave for Tijuana tomorrow as a matter of fact to have my port removed. I am rejecting the port according to Dr. Lopez. I am a nurse so I agree with is diagnosis even though he has not seen me yet. LOL!!! This whole ordeal started with what appeared to be the tubing herniated through the muscle wall. Which tells me that there was either a part of the incision that did not heal or there was a weak area that allowed the tubing to herniate. Then a couple of days ago this 4 x 6 inch area became red, tender, and hot to touch. REJECTION big time. I am not running a fever but that will come next if this does not get taken care of.

Dr. Lopez is a wonderful doctor and surgeon and I love his bedside manner. I like Dr. Carmen at first but trying to get in touch with her is like pulling teeth. The number I have for her is her cell phone which isn't working. The number I have for Nora is a cell phone which isn't working. I then call the office number and have my boyfriend get on the line and because he sounds so professional and maybe a lawyer they get Dr. Lopez on the line immediately. Go figure!!!

I too and very disgusted and disappointed with the after care as well. I have been trying for over a week to get in touch with someone regarding this issue. I am rejecting my port and need to have it removed. My surgery will be Thursday the 17th of June. I am taking the train to San Diego then stay in a hotel. They are supposed to send a car for me on the 17th and then I will return to the hotel that evening of the surgery. Then take the train home the next day on the 18th. We will just miss each other. Bummer. Keep in touch please. I live in Van Nuys, CA which is 45 min north of Los Angeles.

I also hear your frustration regarding the cost factor. I talked to Nora yesterday and she said she would call me with the cost. She finally told me that if we came with a cashier's check in the amount of $2000 that should cover the cost of the surgery. So that is what we are going to do. If it costs more then that is their problem. I will definitely give Dr. Lopez an ear full when I see him. I will also get a copy of my medical records while I am there so I don't have to go through what you guys are trying to get yours. Thanks for the info.

I feel for you Lisa cause even though I did not have as much complications as you have I too had not one but all 5 of my incisions drain. None got infected though. I kept a close watch and kept them covered with neosporin and bandages. Changed them twice a day as a matter of fact. They all healed nicely. Being a nurse and seeing one OPEN was very unsettling to me. I knew that it would need to be packed. I then called and got through to Dr. Carmen (SHOCK SHOCK) and she said to just cover them and do what I was already doing. SIGH!! They eventually healed and closed up nicely.

Now fast forward to present time. The port is being rejected and I am having it removed on Thursday. They are going to do a fill prior to removal. I can have another one placed in about three to four months on the other side but I wonder if that will be rejected as well and if so then why have another one placed. Maybe just have one put in to get a fill then take it out if I need it. Not sure about that just yet. I just wanna take care of this concern first. This is common to reject the port is what I understand. So it was not a surprise.

I think I will talk to Dr. Lopez about being this liasion between US patients and his office. I would hope that I could do better than his office staff. AT least the phone would work. And you would get some answers FAST. Yup I will discuss that with him. Any suggestions or encouragment from you guys.

Penni Merrick

Penni -

When did you have your surgery? I have not heard that port rejection is "common". :(

I am so sorry to hear you're having problems as well. :( Is there something in the air?!?!?!

I will miss you both - my appointment is Saturday at 9am. Barium swallow and endoscope. Hopefully everything is okay in there...:D

Penni! Wow, I'm not alone? My area was red, hot and swollen a week after the surgery. I can't believe all 5 of your wounds leaked. My one leaker drove me bats. Lucklily you're a nurse and knew what to do. Dr. Carmen wasn't sure what to tell me. First she said only to use the antibiotic cream if the area was dry. Hello, how can a leaking port be dry? So I'd lay with it exposed in the sun to dry it. I drove with windows open and my shirt lifted to air it out. I sat in front of a fan and even used a blow dryer. But it wouldn't stop. Next time she actually answered, she said to keep it covered but keep it dry. Once again, how does one keep a leaking wound dry? Looking back, I should have kept it covered and changed bandages like you did. But mine started getting infected from the getgo.

FYI, I spoke with Dr. Lopez, Dr. Ortiz, and Dr. Kuri. All three surgeons agreed that if it's infected at all, it must be removed. Then wait till well healed before having it re-installed.

Penni, I went to Monroe. Valley girl, she's a valley girl. Totally, for sure. I was there in June. My brother & sister are there.

As far as Lopez's staff... the plot thickens.

Penni, my appointment is on June 17. Maybe we'll see each other at the border. I'll have my red bandana hobo totebag. Can't miss me, I'm 5'10" and will be wearing a purple bra with no shirt at Shelly's suggestion... never mind, just look for the red tote bag.

Donli - hmmm I like that! lol

I don't WANT to think that these problems are more common then the oft repeated stats. But...

Can it be that I just personally know a higher number of problem cases? I know my sampling is too small to be a good indication, but in the few people I have met personally, the stats are higher for everything. And they're not all one doc's patients, either. THAT part makes me feel better.

:sick

Personally I feel that Dr. Lopez should pay for Dr. Kuri to replace/fix/remove your port Lisa and Penni yours should be for free also. I don't believe this is common, I'm no expert but I'm sure Inamed and the FDA would have stats on this at least if it happened here in the states.

Take care of yourselves and be safe.

I don't know how to feel anymore. I just got a call from a concerned bandster warning me to request from Dr. Kuri to "be very careful with your sterile technique." I can't imagine having to warn a doctor about that kinda thing.

Any American patients having their ports revised or removed, or is this strictly related to Mexico and/or lack of sanitary working conditions? EEK.

EEK is right. I'm with you, Lisa - I can't imagine having to warn a SURGEON who regularly implants foreign devices to be particularly careful about sanitation!!!!!!!

I thought that was covered in bio 101. Even I as a child I knew I had to hold the needle in the flame until it glowed red before I tried to dig out a splinter so I wouldn't get germs from it.... :D