Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I just ran into this the other day. M e and the hubs went out to eat ,so I wanted to get the 1egg special with hash browns it was the children menu dish , since I can't eat off the the ref menu now.. But the lady wouldn't let me order the kiddie stuff.. To me it's a waste of food off the adult menu. Does your doc issue a card to order off the kiddie menu.. do you bring home a doggie BAg... I tried to explain about surf and my new yummy but she didn't want to here it

My doctor gave me a card, but I don't use it. I haven't told people close to me about my surgery, why would I tell a total stranger? At some places, I order appetizers or sides. If I order a whole meal, I take the leftovers home. It sounds to me as if your restaurant is, or is like, IHOP. Of course, everyone's tastes and approaches are different, but when I go there, I order a meal with eggs, hash browns, meat and pancakes. I eat what I want of the eggs and take the rest home for my husband to have for Breakfast the next morning.

In some situations, my approaches don't work and food is wasted. Better wasted than as fat on my body.

In some situations' date=' my approaches don't work and food is wasted. Better wasted than as fat on my body.[/quote']

Love your attitude girl :)

Eating out has alot of challenges - I don't mind leaving food on my plate - it makes me happy to know I am no longer overeating.

When my friends and I go out we split the bill - no matter who had what. A few weeks ago we all went to a beautiful restaurant on the Water - we offered to pay for the friend who allowed us to stay at his house so I knew the cost would be high. We ordered drinks (yes, I still drink) I ordered the the shrimp cocktail appetizer ($8.50) for my meal - we enjoyed ourselves and the beautiful view of the ocean. When the bill came we split it evenly - $100.00 each.

My sister asked me how I felt about paying so much for what I ate - my response was this - over the years I ate and drank my fair share and more so I am fine.

Many adjustments in my life...............all good

You can always order ala cart at most places and that's just the price you pay. A children's menu is really for children. I understand about not wanting to pay for food you aren't going to eat, but it's not the waitress fault that those are the rules. It's up to the owner of the restaurant to set the prices.

Keep in mind the card is a printed out "please." It does not obligate the restaurant to let you order off the kids' menu, or discount your price. If it's the restaurant's policy not to let you order off the kids' menu, then the card is not going to change that.

I have a card but I don't use it and I have never asked for reduced pricing. In my mind, I have no right to expect special treatment because I chose to have surgery. And I am not yet public about my surgery - so waitstaff are probably the last people I see in my day who I'm going to explain my surgery to.

I've never had a problem ordering off the kids' menu, but the food is usually crap. Generally I order what I want, and if there are leftovers they become a lunch or dinner for DH. If I'm just not hungry I will go for the company and have a drink. If there's a healthy appetizer I may order it. Generally ordering sounds something like: "I will take this, and please bring a box when you bring it - I know I won't finish it. Hon, what do you want for my sides?"

My boyfriend have already decided that when we go out, we'll do our best to find plates we can share. This way we reduce the leftovers that may not get eaten, or wasting food if we can help it. But, I'm not going to worry over it. Worrying over cleaning your plate is part of the problem. Restaurants serve too much food as it is. If it gets wasted, I'm not going to beat myself up.

I really want to split meals with my husband but he refuses. He knows that my left overs usually go to him. Now I'm really getting worried about his eating. He eats a ton of food. He see's it, he eats it. On the Saturday morning I made 8 sausage, 4 for that day, and 4 for sunday. I had 1 sausage and my friend had 1 sausage. I went to put the other left over sausage and was so :angry: he had ate 6 sausage and 2 eggs. This has always occurred in the past when I made extra for a meal on other days so I wouldn't have to cook. He would eat everything he seen! So frustrating! Now he has diabetes and his blood sugar is way out of control. I know that I can not control the decisions he makes or change his belief system that everything has to be eaten and that it's a sin to waste food. So the only option I have is to limit the amount of food put on the table. I'm so sad about this. Now I realize where some of my eating got out of control.

When I go out to Breakfast, I usually order a side of an egg. and if I want, I would get a sausage or something and I have never been questioned by the wait staff. If so, then they will get less tip. that's the way it works for me. I'm there to get what I want, and if not, then no to less of a tip. :) Sorry for the rant. :)

dorrie - my husband is the same. His metabolism is still doing him a few favors, but he'll turn 40 next year and his luck can only last so long. He has recently crossed into thye "obese" threshold - he's between 6'4 and 6'5 and about 270, all if it is carried in his middle torso (stomach, "love handles", etc.) He is a horrible volume eater. We went to a bakery Saturday and I picked up 10 stuffed rolls - about 6 of which I planned to bring to people at work today. These things are about 5" across, so we aren't talking about small dinner rolls. Sunday when I went to pack them up they were all gone. He'd eated all 10 in less than 1 day, in addition to whatever regular meals we'd had.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to make something for dinner, but can't find it and when I ask him if he knows where the this or that is, he's like, "Oh I ate that..." There goes dinner! Now - I make him a week's worth of breakfasts every Sunday. So he has a nice, balanced breakfast. He takes leftovers for lunch most days, or eats out. And if I don't make dinner (which I do 95% of the time) then I make sure he has something. I also make sure he has Snacks at work (he has had bouts of hypoglycemia since he was about 8, controlled through diet). He still eats - usually another full meal - as soon as he gets home from work, and then I generally start dinner about 2 or 3 hours later. He thinks he eats healthy because his favorite snack is lowfat yogurt with granola, but he doesn't the quart-sized yogurt tubs should last longer than 3 servings!

He truly doesn't care. He will refuse to eat lowfat products (other than the yogurt) - sour cream, milk, butter, etc. He has no idea how many calories he eats. If he's hungry, he eats what he wants, and as much of it as he wants, period. I worry about his health - but like you said, I can't make him care. I can just try and figure out ways to plant the seeds. (I can't really say much about his weight gain considering I used to make fun of how "tent-like" his pants were... you know... the 36x36 pants he wore that I used to be able to swim in... I may be a hypocrite but I have my limits...!)

I guess the related point of all that is - splitting a meal isn't really an option. He doesn't do well with less than his entire meal, and then some. Plus we like completely different foods (he's a big red meat/steak eater, I'm not at all). Luckily I can split with DH, who eats whatever mommy or princesses eat. ;)

I have never been questioned by the wait staff. If so, then they will get less tip. that's the way it works for me. I'm there to get what I want, and if not, then no to less of a tip. :) Sorry for the rant. :)

I won't penalize the wait staff for policies made by their bosses. In fact, even when I am able to order smaller quantities (appetizer, side, etc.) I pay as much tip as if I had ordered a whole meal. A waiter works as hard for my small meal as for a larger meal.

I don't know why its such a big deal honestly. I mean, I get that they don't want to give you the cheaper kids meal, but if you've had surgery and you tell the people that there's really no reason they cant do it. You're paying for what you eat either way, they should be happy you're willing to pay for a kids meal rather than eat a little off someone elses plate. At least this way they're getting a little more money. I don't have a card, but I haven't had any problems when I've gone out to eat with my family. I don't expect the world to revolve around me, but I've worked in the rest industry and know that its not a problem for them to do those kinds of things, I mean, people order weird things all the time, usually its because someone doesn't WANT to.

Ok I just ran into this the other day. M e and the hubs went out to eat ,so I wanted to get the 1egg special with hash browns it was the children menu dish , since I can't eat off the the ref menu now.. But the lady wouldn't let me order the kiddie stuff.. To me it's a waste of food off the adult menu. Does your doc issue a card to order off the kiddie menu.. do you bring home a doggie BAg... I tried to explain about surf and my new yummy but she didn't want to here it

Order the sides and ask. I've never been out to Breakfast where you couldn't get a side of sausage or 1 or 2 eggs extra. That's how I order because I don't do potatoes. Last time I went to Perkins I got 3 egg whites. It was under $4. Doesn't Friendly's have a 2 egg breakfast for under $3? It's just that we eat out often, and I have never had an issue, I just had to be creative with the menu. Many restaurants also offer "add ons" They are there to increase your check amount. I just get an add on to hubby's meal. Outback, for example, you can add on a skewer of grilled shrimp for...?? can't remember, but $6ish. Boom, that's my meal.

I have worked in the restaurant industry for years as well. Sometimes the servers are told not to allow it or they can get disciplined. It's because some restaurants don't make any profit on the kid's meals (the better meals, clearly mac n cheese and hot dogs are all profit, but I'm talking about the real meals that are just portioned smaller) Still, the manager would have to take notice, so I just ask politely and if I see a hesitation, I let the server know that I am a good tipper. It works every time. Seriously. The card seems useless. If restaurant policy is to not allow kids meals to adults, the card doesn't change that. For me, it's my business as to why I want to order what I do.

Use the add on and side menu items and ask your server with motivational factors like a nice tip.

Another example: Texas Roadhouse. If you go before 6pm, you can get petite portions for $7.99. I mean, really, how can I complain when I can get a steak dinner with salad and a side for $7.99? Who cares that I can only eat half of it. I just had a delicious steak dinner for $7.99. My dh doesn't mind helping me with it at all.

I always split my hubby's meal which is usually HUGE so I am now a very cheap dinner date. Or if going out will friends we will order a platter where everyone serves themselves. This works out good because then, they won't notice how little I eat. I participate more in conversation now instead of shoveling food in my mouth.