Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing in the towel

I think my metabolism is totally in the toilet - if i ate over 2000 i would be steadily gaining weight - i need to keep it at max 1200 with exercise daily to get a lb off. I seem to be able to maintain at around 1500

My history of dieting - over 25+ years has i'm sure wrecked my body - my weight has fluctuated at least 40lbs a year - almost every year of my adult life.

My highest wt was over 230 and my lowest since birth was 126 and I've never maintained any weight for more than 1 year. I did have my thyroid checked (once) and it was suppossedly fine.

In the past two years I had also noticed none of the old diets i had successfully lost weight on were working anymore - my old favorite scardsdale didn't even get 5lbs off me - 6 weeks of weight watchers - lost 1.5 lbs. - This was a big factor in deciding on the surgery - hopelessness!

I think age - getting close to 40- and history of dieting are playing more of a role in my weight loss than starting with a lower bmi -

Cashley: I can't say I like the feeling of a PB (it wipes me out emotionally and physically) but I can say looking back at my food diaries - it's usually the only time I lose weight - I'll lose 3-4 from going on liquids; gain back 1-2 when I start eating but some usually stays off.

Pitiful!

I am SO glad to see the support that those who are having problems with the band are receiving. It hasn't always been that way.

When I finally decided that the band had to go, I received--on another site--a ton of advice on how to make it work, or lectures on giving it another try or hate mail telling me that I was there to bring everybody down. (What I was TRYING to do was explain that for many people the Band Reality at three years is a whole different ball game than the Band Reality at six months.) What started out as my magic tool became a choke chain that was hurting me. I started to hate it and want it out. (The only other time I felt that way was when I discovered that Ihad cancer and I just wanted those parts OUT. Now!!) (Not saying the band is like cancer, just saying the the urge to get it out when it became problematic was similar.)

NOW what I get--from some of those same people--are LOTS of e-mails, mostly asking me to keep it quiet and telling me that they are ready to move on and have made appointments for consultations regarding revisions. Even some of LapBanding's biggest success stories--people featured in commercials and on websites for YEARS--are talking gastric sleeve because the reflux issue has become too much to deal with.

I feel very bad for anyone who had so much hope and was so disappointed. (And I feel even WORSE for the self-pays...because I was one!)

No surgery is perfect. If the prize was not behind Door Number One, that is no reason to give up and go away. There are other doors. Do not give up.

(And, no...I do NOT get paid a recruiting bonus for drumming up DS patients, but so far, it is serving me well and I'm down about 90 pounds in about 9 months. I SHOULD be able to say that I have "learned" something and that I'm working my ass off. I haven't and I'm not. Not ONE of those pounds was because I made an effort. It has ALL been the surgery...I just sit here and eat crap and don't exercise. Which is probably why my weight loss this month is either one pound or zero, depending on time of day. The free ride may be over...it may be time for me to take SOME responsibility...but I was kind of burned out after the band experience.)

Anyway...do whatever you need to win the WAR...the battles are irrelevant.

Sue

Dear Mary,

I am so sorry you are feeling discouraged and want to call it quits. You were the calm voice of reassurance for me when I was struggling with the decision to be banded. Your phone calls and e-mails helped me find peace with my procedure and choice of doctors. And I know you have quietly helped so many other people also!

I wish I could be a voice of reassurance to you now!

We both approached the banding as not only a way to FINALLY lose weight and keep it off, but also as a preventitive tool against the inevitable morbid obesity. It was a "gutsy" thing to do (especially in Mexico), but we both had come to a point where we couldn't take it anymore. Some desperate measure HAD to be taken. I leaned on you when it was my turn!

I feel like when I made the decision to be banded, I was throwing in the towel...on dieting and on trying to figure out this weight-ruled life! Since I have been banded, I have had my ups and downs with pb's, plateaus, days of ice cream and M & M's (cause they WILL go down!) But I feel I am better off than I was six months ago.

After reading your post, I went and ran a mile at the high school track. I haven't run in years! My knees couldn't take it before. I didn't even know I could run. I know you are athletic, and if YOU are working so hard and are struggling to lose, then I better get off my fanny and be more active!

Even my meager weight loss has made a difference in my life. I really want to lose more...in fact, I want to lose all of my excess fat! Not just 40-50%! But I have to remember what desperation brought me to this procedure and be grateful for the help so far. The band has been a great help, but so have many people on this forum. When I have struggled many of you have taken the time to come to my aid and offer suggestions. I am thankful for that.

So Mary, I support you in whatever you decide to do. I want you to succeed. You are a wonderful, giving person. If you want to talk, you have my e-mail and #! Call me and I'll call you back on my dime!

Boo,

Love You - Thanks for all you said - I swam 30 laps tonight and it felt so good - i forgot how much i love to swim and it was very therapuetic - peaceful. I will email you...still hoping to meet up in Utah?

and Jack - awesome...nothing like fitting into smaller pants to put a smile on your face.

I agree...the support on this board has lifted me when discouraged, made me laugh, question, think...it's all good and I'm thankful for everyone here.

Yep, I'm with you Mary and Starwart... the band has been an interesting experience and it gave me the hope I needed at the time, but I'm back to good ol' DIETING now. Except there are a lot of low-cal foods that make me choke. Like asparagus. That brings on a PB instantly.

I was self-pay and if I had another $8,000 handy I'd use it to get this thing out. I never go on the "Would you do it again?" Type threads because I really don't want to bring anyone down.

Isn't that funny?

I dont' consider asparagus a low-cal (code for diet) food, it's an indulgence...

Funny, that even though no WLs is going to help me lose weight, I would have the band again if it meant that it would find my Cushing's

I was self-pay and if I had another $8,000 handy I'd use it to get this thing out. I never go on the "Would you do it again?" Type threads because I really don't want to bring anyone down.

Kare, I could KISS you! Every time I see those threads I cringe. I can't tell you how comforting it is to know that I am not the only anti-bander.

To those of you that feel you want to throw in the towel, or even maybe at a standstill with the band. Are you PBing even after you've chewed, chewed, chewed. If so, Yikes, now I'm scared!!

Wow! I am pre-band, in fact I will be meeting with my surgeon for the first time on Sept. 26th. I have to say that it's good to read all of these posts. Yes, even the posts from those of you that have not had the best results with the band. If I am going to have this surgery, (which I will have to decide by my second appointment), I would rather go into it knowing the possitive and the negative.

I have to admit that some of the problems that some of you have had scare me. Right now I am sitting at 270 and I want to lose half my body weight. Surgery is something that my pcp suggested. Now that my first appointment is set, I fluctuate from being excited to being unsure. The fear/worry that it may not work is definitely there.

I enjoy this group because we can get "both sides of the story" so to speak. The support is wonderful:-)

Dee

Vinesqueen,

How did the doctor discover you had Cushings? What symtoms did you have? What are the warning signs? I know on the paperwork that I filled out for the surgeon, it specifically asked if I had Cushings?

Dee

The more I read, the scarier it is for me. I have had some really nice responses to my posts, but I can't help but worry about not losing weight and wanting the thing out after a few years.

I am totally footing the bill and my surgeon (an expert laprascopic man) is probably more expensive than any stories I've heard here. I will have to have a hernia repair at the same time of the LB and I am literally at my wits end trying to decide if this is the right thing for me.

I am not as young as most of you and I am 5'1.5" and currently at 212 (after some pre-surgical Protein shake meals). I am considered morbidly obese and although I don't have diabetes yet, all my family does. I have high cholesterol and hypertension and I'm on an antidepressant.

To make things even more interesting for me, my fam doc says not to do it. But I've seen some people in my community who have done it and I've seen them blossom and appear happier than ever. (They don't admit to the surgery, but clues they've dropped make it pretty obvious.)

I know you all probably think should be talking to a professional, but I've done that and this was my last resource for helping me feel confident about my decision to proceed. If I had any confidence that I could get the weight off on my own, I wouldn't do it.

I have proven time and time again that I can't. I not only am weak-willed, but also my metabolism is in the toilet. I learned this past year that both of my knees are shot and I am unable to do any real exercise until they are replaced. They want me to lose weight before knee replacement surgery and so, here I am. Dazed and Confused, just like Led Zepplin.

BJean

Hang in there I am in same boat age 62 and lots of medical problems getting worse between the Doctor visits. For all the bad news I see hope that there is a way that I can lose weight cause if I don't do it now the meaner things will start to happen.

No reason not to be scared I am also. Fear can be a great motivator. It looks to me that most who are here are glad that they did it. Even people who are having problems are still fighting.

Fighting for every pound is a good thing. I prefer to not take the lazy way out. Makes me appreciate every bite I've saved myself from.

Pete: Thanks for your note. It is encouraging to hear from someone that appears to be in my same boat. :)

I really haven't read all that many encouraging posts, either at this forum or others I've tried. Most of the ones who seem to be positive are in the first few months after surgery. I'm not too worried that I can deal with the surgery itself, or the PBs, but I'm worried about getting it all off over the next two years. And of course, I'm worried about the possible complications that I keep reading about ad nauseum. :faint:

Fear can be a great motivator, but I'm afraid it's going to motivate me right into cancelling my Band date. I will keep working on it though for the next week or so. Thanks so much for your comments and I will keep you in my prayers! :)