Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sigh..need Some Reassurance.

Ok I am having a panic attack and for really no good reason...I really want to lose this excessive weight..so I was rereading my packet on diet ext..and saw ( and I already knew this so it's not like I didn't know already) statistically with the sleeve you loss 50-60% of your excessive weight..well I calculated it and I want more than that number on the calculator! I am proud of 53# weight loss in 10 weeks, so I don't feel I a failure...BUT that number on the calculator scared me. I know..obsessive...but I am working so hard..I want this to work..so anybody havin panic attacks that are completely off the wall?? Or is this just the normal fear and progression ..sipped bump go over slowly and get on with it stuff??

Stupid autocorrect..SPEED bump..not sipped bump..lol

It sounds like you are doing so much better (thinking wise) than I ever did pre-surgery :). I mostly worried about not waking up after surgery and not about calculations. Just knowing that about 80% of your stomach wlll be removed was assurance enough that I would be eating so much more less than how I was eating before. One of my weaknesses was eating and snacking heavily late at night - plus a lot of head hunger. The full feeling after injesting such little amounts was very surreal to me. Everyone's experience is very individual that it may be difficult to compare with others as everyone has their own medical issues, if they are retaining Water, etc. Perhaps decide if the actual VSG medical procedure itself is best for you and your medical conditions and discuss with your surgeon?

Oh I was sleeved on April 3rd of this year. I just went back and reread my information packet..and didy calculation..and now I panicking!! LoL..guess I should have mentioned that..duh..I am down significantly post op from surgery..met with my surgeon and dietitian yesterday and was told I was the super star of the day ( bet they say that to everybody) ..anyway..I just want my weight loss to beige than that calculation..just having a panic attack..self doubt..normal stuff I suppose..

Be less than the calculation! I hate my new phone..or my thumbs.

Keep doing the right things and you will continue to lose. Your excess weight hasn't read the packet, so it doesn't have to follow that guideline. I have lost 100% of my excess weight, so there is no rule there.

BTW, on mobile devices, if you tap on the heading of your post, a pop-up menu will come up and you can select Edit to adjust your post.

It sounds like you are doing so much better (thinking wise) than I ever did pre-surgery :). I mostly worried about not waking up after surgery and not about calculations. Just knowing that about 80% of your stomach wlll be removed was assurance enough that I would be eating so much more less than how I was eating before. One of my weaknesses was eating and snacking heavily late at night - plus a lot of head hunger. The full feeling after injesting such little amounts was very surreal to me. Everyone's experience is very individual that it may be difficult to compare with others as everyone has their own medical issues, if they are retaining Water, etc. Perhaps decide if the actual VSG medical procedure itself is best for you and your medical conditions and discuss with your surgeon?

I think that ship has sailed. As far as I can tell, Pipula had her surgery in April 2012!

Pipula, don't despair. Statistics never tell the whole story! Those number encompass everyone who has had the surgery. Some followed the program to a "T" and did super well. Probably losing 100% of their excess weight. Others fell off the program early on and may have only lost 30% of their excess weight (or less).

It's like it was when you were in school. The class average might have been 72% for History in your grade 10 class. But there were probably 10 students that got high 90s and probably 10 students that didn't even come close to passing the class. Overall, the "average" was 72%

So the harder you work (just like those 90%ers probably did in the History class), the better your chance for success! Keep to your doctor's orders, always eat Protein first, then veg, then carb (if there's any room left!). Drink LOTS and LOTS of fluids, and move that body.....every day, in some way!

You can reach your goal weight......so many many people on this Forum have done it and even lower than their original goals. And they were facing the same statistics as you are now. They didn't let that scare them. They decided they were going to be on the top end of that "bell curve". You can be there too.

Keep working hard, keep the faith and be patient. We didn't get obese overnight, we won't get healthy and down to normal BMIs overnight either. But we can get there with perseverance, determination and hard work.

Hi Pipula...oh okay :). Probably just 'normal panicking' then. I'm sure you will do great. I have gone over my binder so many times and it seems I 'discover' new info every now and then too. It's quite funny to me when I do. Good luck and I wish you much success...

That statistic is just an average, not a limitation. You can shoot for below average or above average. My surgeon told me anyone can lose 100% of their excess weight if they try, barring unforeseen unresolved issues like eating disorders.

Thanks Pdxman! Learned something new today! I considered you one of the consummate experts on the forum.. I think I just freaked..I think we all have those mental moments! Thanks for your advice!

Hey webchickadee..you are so right. Sometimes our brains scream so loudly we just need a second to hear some logic. I am doing what the doc says and my next goal is to up exercise ..and you're right..it took 15 years to pack on this weight..it will take some time to get it off! Thanks for the encouragement

!

Thank you Emy B! Good luck to you too!

That statistic is just an average' date=' not a limitation. You can shoot for below average or above average. My surgeon told me anyone can lose 100% of their excess weight if they try, barring unforeseen unresolved issues like eating disorders.[/quote']

I sooo dig your handle Butterthebean!!! You know..your right..we all have the tools and knowledge..and I am certainly making use of it! I think I had mental moment! Who knew calculators could be so Dangerous!!!

Oh yeah, we all have those moments. This is a major surgery and a major change to our lives. I think we're entitled to freak out every once in awhile.

We just have to keep it real, believe in ourselves and embrace our new lives with a new mindset. Our old way of thinking is like fitting a square peg into a round hole. If you do it, there is going to be a lot of damage on all sides.

Ditch the calculator and the scale.

We can do this.

Sorry to admit, but love to read that someone else panics like I do. I appreciate all of the encouragement that you received from your post (and take those comments to heart as well).

Hang in there, do what you are supposed to - we got this!