Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2012 Sleevers Post Op Check In

My surgery date was 6/12. I was kept in the hospital an extra night because I was not peeing and that's basically my ticket out this afternoon. I went once but the measurer was not there. Overall I'm feeling good but bloated. I feel like I'm sucking down Water but my bottle is still almost full. I've been doing laps around my little area in the hospital and this helps tons with gas pains. I'm showered, dressed, and ready to go but I need to show them that I can pee one more time.

Had my surgery 2 days ago, June 12th. I'm home now and dealing with a 'no kiddin, kick your booty' kind of pain in my chest (I'm guessing gas pain or maybe spasms). Can't stand taking the lortab, just the thought sends me into dry heaves. I'm only allowed to have Clear Liquids for the first 7 days and i'm not to add any Protein to my diet for a week or so (my doc is not a fan of protein supplement). I was told by my dietitian that protein this early is a little too heavy on the sleeve......which is OK by me, I'm having a hard enough time just getting in the clears. Hoping that I'm about to turn the corner with the gas/chest pain.

Get some gas x Jenni. I am 10 days out and I'm still suffering gas pains. Not all surgeries are a like and not all bodies are a like. I have no problem admitting, this has been extremely hard on me. I still hurt horribly. The gas pains are hard on me, I can barely stand anything chewable (like the vitamins) I can drink Water all day long, but the Protein shakes cause pain. I had a 5 hour surgery with complications. That's my reality, it's not everyones though. Do what you think you can and don't base what you can do on others or it will drive you crazy. I lost 70 pounds before surgery during the 6 month pre-approval period. Day of surgery i weighted 229 - I came home at 235 - I am now 224.6. That's not a huge loss, but I know in the end - when I'm healed, I will excel and I will do a great job. Having an autoimmune disorder Lupus and neurological issues (brain tumor) i'm not going to heal as fast as others, and I can get down about it, but I'm not going to. Make sure you keep taking the gas x and watch any gassy producing Soups (a few teaspoons of broccoli cheddar Soup with no broccoli pieces caused me serious tears and I swear I felt like I was having a heart attack). I walked a few hours a day and still have gas issues.

I honestly thought I was going to breeze through this surgery because I'm a pretty tough cookie, but it's just a set back. I got my drain out yesterday and my pain was cut in 1/2. The drain was up against my diaphragm and causing breathing difficulties. I'm still coughing a bit, but that's getting better now too.

I am so happy that so many are doing good so soon. I don't feel jealous, I just figure it's my lot, and I can take it, and in the end it will equal out.

OK, Day eight. I'm getting the Water and Protein in better now, though still not up to goal. I also have not had much pain I think I have taken either one or two since I came home.

Today I rode my bicycle 3 miles. I have lost the 10 lbs I gained plus 7 more lbs so far.

All is good, thank the Lord!

New_Hope that is awesome and gives me hope that I'll be back on my bike soon after surgery.! Great to hear your good news!

I was sleeved June 2nd and I've been having a really hard time with Protein considering everything about it turns my stomach and then when I force it I'm nauseous all day , I sure hope this sensitive taste and smell stuff gets better but anyways other then that I'm doing great I've lost 45 lbs total including pre-op loss well I hope everyone else is doing great and goodluck fellow sleevers :-)

MinaT, thanks for your suggestions and support. You are a trooper and I hope that this journey becomes a lot easier for you!

I was sleeved June 2nd and I've been having a really hard time with Protein considering everything about it turns my stomach and then when I force it I'm nauseous all day ' date=' I sure hope this sensitive taste and smell stuff gets better but anyways other then that I'm doing great I've lost 45 lbs total including pre-op loss well I hope everyone else is doing great and goodluck fellow sleevers :-)[/quote']

I was sleeved on 3 days after you and am still having issues with Protein. I'm doing great on my liquids but not so much on my protein. I'm trying not to ne too hard on myself. The majority of my stomach was cut out. I'm trying to give it more time to heal and I think as it does, I will be able to get more protein in. Good luck to you in your journey.

My doctor said for the first week to not worry about the Proteins -- if you can get them in great, but for short term, you can go without. He said you really only need to concentrate on the liquids -- your main goal right now is hydration. So that is what I am concentrating on right now.

I was sleeved 6/11. I was released from the hospital the next day and all has been well, except for 2 days ago, Ive been having what I finally found out to be esophageal spasms. Is anyone else dealing with this? Is it something I should be concerned about? It just started 2 days ago, and it comes and goes. I read that vomiting is commonly associated with it, but thank goodness that hasn't been an issue.

I was sleeved 6/11. I was released from the hospital the next day and all has been well' date=' except for 2 days ago, Ive been having what I finally found out to be esophageal spasms. Is anyone else dealing with this? Is it something I should be concerned about? It just started 2 days ago, and it comes and goes. I read that vomiting is commonly associated with it, but thank goodness that hasn't been an issue.[/quote']

My surgery was on the 14th and I'm having the spasms too!

Day 11 post-op. Down 20 lbs. Rode my bike 4.17 miles in 95 degrees! Fortunately I did have my water bottle, so I kept hydrated. Hoping for a good loss tomorrow.

I had surgery on 12th. I've been having chest pain which I attribute to spasms or gas....I don't know. They are getting a little better. Ive tried walking while taking my small sips and that seems to help.....unless its just resolving on its own.....again, I don't know.

I get spasms below my chest but just above the largest pointy tip of my belly. It's like a wave, sorta a gas pain or a spasm or like a severe hunger pain, but I know it's not hunger. It's been slowing down but it's a severe tightening and cramping and then it goes away. Day 12 gas is much better, I still can't get in my Proteins. I actually went back to clears today because I attempted 3 ounces of a Protein Shake and cramped too bad. It's a little set back. People heal differently, I have had several abdominal surgeries before and obviously my muscles have been cut a lot and with the hernia and other stuff, it's just going to take some time. I am walking about 1-1/2 miles - 2 miles a day but it's in my house.

I had my surgery June 7 and am now supposed to be on full liquid diet. What is everyone eating and are you taking your Vitamins already?

Surgery June 4th. I'm still on full liquids. Started the optisource Multivitamin first day home - 4 a day, they used to take a long time to get down. I take a sublingual B12 and today I started the Biotin (probably it's too big but I started it anyhow because I have fine hair.)

I drink as much of a Protein shake as I can for Breakfast, I still try the Isopure for extra Protein. I will try a sf pudding for a night snack and dinner I try to get in cream of chicken, mushroom, asparagus or some sort of low fat cream Soup strained. I can only get in about 4-6 teaspoons of Soup.

I was at around 20 grams of protein a day and somehow I got 54 in today. I mainly care about getting my 64 ounce of Water in though and I'm trying to built up my tolerance to full liquids.