Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Take The Protein Drinks, Also Getting Dehydrated

I was sleeved 5/30/12.... and really having a hard time getting to my Protein requirement each day, no matter how hard I try. Also, I can tell I'm getting dehydrated just by looking at my skin. I've tried taking bigger sips but it hurts, so I can't do that either. Has anyone else had this problem? What worked for you?

Thank You!

Awww honey. First I'd like to say congratulations on surgery. Second you are so new. liquid first. Keep your self hydrated first. Protein is important. But Water is more important. Try getting a Protein Shake in. That also counts as a liquid. Welcome to the club

I agree, I didn't even start thinking about Protein for at least a week or two. I was just working on liquids. Drink whatever you can, as often as possible!

Little sips go a long way if you take a lot of them throughout the day!

Hang in there :)

Thank you both so much! I'm sure I was most likely told this somewhere along the line, but there was SO much info and instructions to take in that I was overwhelmed! Going to put the Protein Powder and shakes away for now and concentrate on water.....is Crystal Light ok, or should it be plain Water? By the way, you both look like you're doing a great job with your weight loss!

Any liquid is good liquid. Crystal Light is fine if it's easier for you. It was for me.

Wow massindex, good for you at 11 lbs below your target weight, that's great!! Water is fine sometimes, but it is nice to have a little flavor sometime!

I was told it was ok to add in anything that helped me get in Water.

And thanks! It won't be long before you will be shedding weight too!

The Protein can be tough. I had my surgery on 5/29 so I'm right there with you. Really the only Protein Drink that I really enjoy is "Adkins Advantage". There dark chocolate is really good and it's filling. They also have milk chocolate, strawberry (I think) and mocha. So far just dark chocolate for me! It's creamy, but not too thick, and doesn't have a grainy or medicine kind of after taste. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Im struggling with this too...and with the side effect of Constipation. Im pretty unhappy. Ill focus more on Water and less on G2 since it has a little sodium in it. I was needing the carbs for energy but id rather be pain free and hydrated.

YES! I had those issues ... but here is something that I found and loved... they should pay me as much as I post on them but Cytosport's ready to drink (RTD) "whey isolate" Protein drinks... they are in 16 oz bottles and have 32 g of whey Protein. I LOVE them - tropical and tangerine flavors (I don't personally like the watermelon). I buy them at Vitamin Shoppe for 3.79 a bottle.

Also many folks like Isopure RTD bottles, but I did NOT. Those are 4.19 a bottle.

Also fyi, I love Vitamin Shoppe! One reason: they will take them back if they are opened w/in 7 days w/your receipt. They can be bought (both of the kinds mentioned) in their refrigerated section.

Additionally, the powerpak protein is good in chocolate. Those I think are $3 and some change for each.

For Butterbean's comment: My dr. suggested taking mirolax whenever I don't go on my own every 2-3 days, as well as acidophilous pearls, which are a priobiotic that helps keep things moving, from my understanding. I also eat a prune or two every couple of days. Hey it helps get that sweet craving out for only 15 cals per prune!

And definitely get that Water in. I hate Water, but like the fruit20 (peach is my fav) and propel (in berry usually) or crystal light in cherry pom... if anyone can use those tips that is!

Slim fast has one that has. 20g Protein if you can find them. Love them..is something wrong i never had a problem drinking or swollen. Lord everyone prays must really work

Hey there! I couldn't tolerate any sort of Protein drink, either--I tried a bunch of different brands, sources of Protein, recommendations from this site and others--nothing would stay down. So I had the idea to try "real food." I ended up making smoothies myself with Greek yogurt, milk, and pasteurized egg whites (like Egg Beaters) plus flavoring. They aren't as high protein per ounce as a "Protein Drink," but there is plenty of protein in there, the ingredients are available, and my sleeve could handle it. I never, ever met, nor do I meet now, the requirements for protein as recommended by my nutritionist, but my blood work is stellar and I'm feeling fabulous. (By the way, you can also slip in a couple of teaspoons of white Beans, low sodium, well rinsed, to add protein and fiber--I PROMISE you won't taste them at all!)

As for Water, don't worry about "bigger" sips--keep a cup of iced beverage (whatever you're drinking) at your side always, and sip frequently. It's not the size of the sips but the number of sips--keeping something there, whether you're thirsty or not at the moment, will help you remember to sip. And hang in there. It really does get better.

Meg, I love your real food approach.. I know Protein is important but when you are eating "clean" I think the body absorbs more of what it needs. It is my goal after sleeve when I have a wittle tummy to eat clean and I will definetely be trying your bean idea. Gonna finally put my blendtec to good use!! I personally would love to follow a sleeved "real food" thread or a blog if you know of any..

Diane, my surgeon's instructions say to do 3- 1/4cup liquid meals per day, 64 ozs of Water in 1/4-1/2 cup increments every half hour, and every hour between meals 1/4 cup Protein drinks. Maybe short goals will work for you in getting it down. I have also heard of people eating ice chips, shaved ice or using a medicine dropper. Or for some drinking something warm lessens the pain. I haven't been there yet so I can't speak from personal experience, just from reading this board for the past year. :) Don't wait to long to get checked for dehydration, you may need a bag or two! Keep us updated.

The chicken Soup mixes with Protein and the Proti-diet brand drink mixes (sorta like crystal lite but with 15 g protein) saved me the first few weeks - I find that my tastes changed drastically with surgery, and continue to change weekly. Just keep trying to sip as much as you can when you find something that is palatable.