Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Psychological Evaluation

I had my psychological evaluation on Thursday 5/31. After I left I started to become worried. I was completely honest and admitted to the psychologist that I had patterns of binge eating in the past. We also talked about my past history of emotional, physical and sexual abuse, and my diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression and Anxiety. All of those things are under control now, I'm just so afraid he's going to say I'm not ready to deal with the surgery. Any advice, words of wisdom, encouragement? I know they say honesty is the best policy with the psych eval no matter how dark it is, I'm just afraid I blew it for myself.

(((hugs))) I really can't say much, since I'm not an expert. But I know that the point of the eval is to make sure that you understand the risks of the surgery, the permanence of it, how it will change your life. It is also to make sure that you have the ability and tools to handle it. You're past doesn't matter. If those aspects of your life are under control, then it shouldn't matter. The fact that you were honest is great! You've had issues, and you've dealt with them. That shows control and maturity. If for some reason they don't think you are ready, they are not going to say a flat out "no". They would ask you to have a few more sessions, etc, to make sure that you can handle it. So it would most likely only be postponed.

In the meantime, don't worry about it. If it doesn't turn out the way you wanted it, then you worry about it then! There is no point in stressing yourself over it now!

(((((hugs))))) Chin up! Smile! You are one step closer to your goal! Have a GREAT weekend!

Honesty is the best policy. Your doctors want you to succeed. If they feel the the results of the psych eval indicate that you would have problems post-sleeve, they can either postpone your surgery until you have some sessions with a therapist, require that you see a therapist before and after your surgery, or suggest extra support for you after surgery. It all depends on now much help they feel you might need. If you have a handle on your problems now and don't get easily overwhelmed with change, probably you won't have to do anything and your surgery will proceed without a hitch. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks! I've had my anxiety and depression under control for quite sometime, so I'm hoping they realize that and appreciate that I was honest.

Do they weigh you at the Psychological Evaluation? Mine is Monday and been sick the last few days and have fallen below 35 BMI

Do they weigh you at the Psychological Evaluation? Mine is Monday and been sick the last few days and have fallen below 35 BMI

They didn't weigh me, but they did ask me what my highest & current weights were.

I have never been to a psychologist that had a scale in their office.

I had a 15 page psyc eval and there were a few questions that I didn't know of I should "honestly" answer because I didn't want to be told, "we don't think you are ready for this" but I finally stopped, spent some time thinking and realized, I will do ANYTHING to make this surgery successful. "anything" means to me that if the psychologist didn't feel like I was ready, then I wouldn't be. And that would be the same as going into surgery with a calander with a date circled for when I thought I could get away with eating "cheat" foods. Trust the experts to know what you can and can't handle. The last thing any of us needs is to be unsuccessful at another weight loss attempt. Best of luck!

I had my psychological evaluation on Thursday 5/31. After I left I started to become worried. I was completely honest and admitted to the psychologist that I had patterns of binge eating in the past. We also talked about my past history of emotional' date=' physical and sexual abuse, and my diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression and Anxiety. All of those things are under control now, I'm just so afraid he's going to say I'm not ready to deal with the surgery. Any advice, words of wisdom, encouragement? I know they say honesty is the best policy wit the psych eval no matter how dark it is, I'm just afraid I blew it for myself.[/quote']

You have to be honest love with yourself and the person evaluating you. Don't be scared if this surgery is supposed to happen for you right now it will and the psych eval wont stop that. If its supposed to happen now it will if its supposed to happen later it will. God presents opportunities when he knows we are ready to receive not when we "think" we are. You'll be just fine, i'll be praying things go your way. Just have faith.

-d'andra

I was upfront with the initial evaluation and had to go to a follow up with a different doctor before we could submit to the insurance company. I was really upset because the people I know that had the surgery kept telling me how stupid I was to tell the truth, because they just told them what they wanted to hear to get the approval. In the beginning I was beating myself up for not just playing along with them like everyone else, but that wouldn't get me anywhere....I know why I turned to food over 20 years ago and I have worked my butt off to get through those issues, but I need help to reverse the damage I have done physically. The second doctor I talked to completely understood where I was coming from and saw that I knew what got me here and that I had put in the emotional work already, so she wrote my letter.

I can assure that all of us getting this surgery have currently or in the past struggled with patterns of binge eating. Aside from the physical aspects of WHY we're overweight, so many of us, if not all, have some type of emotional eating patterns. Take it from someone who has done psych evals personally...we want you to be up front and honest...we mostly want you to be able to demonstrate and verbalize awareness and insight into the reasons for wanting this surgery and how to mentally prepare for the future, etc. They're mostly looking out for you, and thank god they do it, too! Could you imagine someone with severe mental illness getting this surgery? Or some type of diagnosed eating disorder or substance abuse issue that has not been resolved? Any type of mental illness, if not stabilized, will most likely increase in severity after an extreme surgery like this. Keep your head up! I know you'll be fine!

Honesty is best- and if they think ur not ready, it isn't a no... It's a let's help you out, to make you more successful for when u do have surgery

I haven't been around this forum long, but are there people here who have been turned down for surgery because of the psych eval? The psychiatrist I talked to literally told me that they only wanted to make sure that I knew the surgery was not a magic cure, and that I would have to eat a certain way and exercise for the rest of my life. He also wanted to know about my support system. Other than that I was in and out of his office in less than ten minutes. It took much longer to answer the questionnaire.

I haven't been around this forum long' date=' but are there people here who have been turned down for surgery because of the psych eval? The psychiatrist I talked to literally told me that they only wanted to make sure that I knew the surgery was not a magic cure, and that I would have to eat a certain way and exercise for the rest of my life. He also wanted to know about my support system. Other than that I was in and out of his office in less than ten minutes. It took much longer to answer the questionnaire.[/quote']

Unfortunately there are my friend. If the psych doesnt feel your "mentally" ready you will be turned down because approval from the psych is a requirement for insurances.

-d'andra