Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Second Thoughts...can I Really Do This?

good luck on monday. is this a revision for you or no?

No, I am having some serious adhesions removed and a hernia repaired and removal of some polyps

Don't worry about being scared - that's normal. Hell, if you weren't a little scared then I WOULD be worried! lol

When I went for my band surgery my biggest fear was dying on the operating table. I think that's most people's biggest fear... but then when you think about it, I am something like 100x more likely to die while driving my car everyday over on the operating table during surgery. It's all relative.

I am so silly... my biggest fear is the possibility of loose skin! LOL I know.... I'm looney. I trust my doc with everything (and obviously my life!) - and that's why I pay him double than other docs in MX because I firmly believe you get what you pay for.

You will be fine! I think the only worry you should have is NOT having this done and not being able to be around to watch your babies grow up! Obesity is that scary of a killer! :(

Gosh ... I'm not saying I'm an authority on this by any means, but from my experience at 11 months out, this couldn't be farther from the truth. I hope no one has this expectation.

The sleeve is a tool which helps you restrict your portion size and that is about it. Anyone can still make poor food choices and if you drink liquids with your meals, you can eat a large quantity. I know this because I practice this.

For those who haven't read some of my posts, I am a runner now, post-sleeve and race competively. I ran just last Sunday and won my age division. Nutrition is my biggest challenge and the only way I can get enough calories in is to break the sleeve rules. Starting two days before a race, I eat and drink at the same time and can put away a lot of food. I am eating chocolate and all sorts of things which I am sure is not recommended by bariatric dieticians.

Buuuut ... I am at goal and exercise A LOT. So, I wouldn't recommend anybody else follow my diet unless you, too, were committed to serious amounts of exercise.

Bottom line, the tool is not going to teach you to eat properly. You still have to do that and you can still make bad decisions with the sleeve, so please don't believe the sleeve is going to do it for you.

Pdxman

I should have probably rephrased that. And since you are a veteran of the sleeve, I defer to you. But, what I meant by my poorly phrased statement is that if you follow the rules, you are teaching yourself to eat properly with the help of the sleeve. Thanks for straightening this out!!

Pdxman

I should have probably rephrased that. And since you are a veteran of the sleeve, I defer to you. But, what I meant by my poorly phrased statement is that if you follow the rules, you are teaching yourself to eat properly with the help of the sleeve. Thanks for straightening this out!!

Ssilian - I took your statement as you had intended it. But I can also see how PdxMan and others could of read it differently. :)

Oh the joys of text-interpretation! LOL ;)

Pdxman

Oh, I knew what you meant, but the problem is, and as Bloneej points out, people are going to interpret this differently and I sure don't want someone to read the statement and think this is all they have to do to get skinny.

As you continue to participate in the forum, you will see what I mean. I have to take breaks from the forum every once in a while because I get so frustrated by people stating they are not losing weight, but are also not following the rules explicitly. They truly think that the sleeve is going to take care of everything. The sleeve is not going to teach you how to eat properly. It is only going to help you eat less at a meal. What you choose to eat at that meal is still up to you.

If you have joined MyFitnessPal, take a look at the diaries of your fellow sleevers ...

You're right! Thanks again!!

:)

So, after talking to my dad (who is very fit and healthy...my whole family is!) I have decided to do the sleeve. I am pretty much 100%. After what Blondeej said about not living long enough if I didn't do this, I just kept thinking about it. I can't afford to cut more time off of my life being fat and destroying my body. (I have a lot of weight-related health issues). Thanks for all your help. I know that this is by no means an "easy way out," and I'm sure I'll be miserable and sad at one or many times, but I'm okay with that. If the end result is a healthy me. It's worth all the discomfort in the world. Like one of you said--it's like childbirth, it's gonna suck, but the end result is so worth it! Thanks for being an inspiration to me all of you!!! Hugs and love to you all! :)